WaniKani stat's N5 - N2 100% claim legit?

Hey all! The other day I was reading a novel and came across ‘itchy’ かゆ / 痒い which I’d say is pretty high frequency (conversationally). However, it’s not on Wanikani. Jisho.org recognises it as a JLPT 2 level word which leads me to ask, where does Wanikani get its parameters / checklists from? I’ve heard JLPT used to but does not have an official kanji list.

Thanks!

1 Like

This doesn’t answer your main question but jisho is probably marking the vocab word かゆい as N2 and not the kanji. The kanji is not joyo as far as I can tell.

8 Likes

The original WaniKani stats site cites null - Vocabulary List - Japanese Dictionary Tangorin as the source, but sadly that page does not appear to exist any more.

1 Like

Looks like Jisho just uses a different source for their JLPT tags than wkstats does. :man_shrugging:

Jisho uses:

1 Like

WaniKani Stats lists JLPT kanji only, not vocab.

5 Likes

Yeah I get that.

To the OP, so having looked into Jisho’s JLPT source, only the word written in hiragana appears in their list. The kanji itself is not in their JLPT N2 kanji list. That would be why you don’t see the kanji in the wkstats list either. Not every JLPT vocab word appears using kanji. Especially as this word appears to also be one commonly written in kana only.

1 Like

I had never seen this kanji before this thread. It’s Kanken level 1. You won’t need to know it for N2.

15 Likes

A word being marked as N5 level does not necessarily mean that the kanji it uses is also N5.

あそぶ is a N5 or N4 word depending on the lists but 遊 is listed as a N3 kanji.

かゆい seems to be written in kana most of the time according to jisho.

3 Likes

Wow. Had no idea vocab and its correlating kanji could be in separate JLPT levels. Kinda makes sense though. Thanks for clearing that up!! Just out of curiosity, is there any logical reason why some words like itchy are more likely to be written in katakana?

2 Likes

Because カユイ just looks so much more itchy than かゆい. Ya know?

7 Likes

Was that established? I thought it was just “more likely to be written in kana.” So it could be hiragana or katakana.

I feel like hiragana would be most common for かゆい

5 Likes

Is it? It’s written in hiragana in the list Jisho uses.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.