WaniConjugation - Practice conjugating verbs - RFC

I used the API to get my list of vocab, specifying /vocabulary and each level 1,2,3…60, resulting in one json response with all vocab’s kanji, reading, meanings, and level. I filtered that down to just verbs and that collection is stored on my server for the user to download/store locally with an occasional update.

I imagine using a user’s API key would involve querying the server to get that user’s /vocabulary (returning a list of vocab up to their level). One request/response, use the words that are verbs for my list and voila. I’d also store the list locally so WK would only be bothered for an update every once in a while. I believe that’s a fairly typical use for the API?

I can also leave the current level selector in place, so if you ever want to focus on a specific level you can–while the default is all your learned vocab.

Pretty cool. Verb conjugation is something I mix up from time to time so it looks like a nice way to practice.

The programmer part of me is curious how you’re storing/checking things. Do you have a database with each conjugation in it, or are you just using some kind of verb type field, and then in the code, figuring out the correct conjugation.

One minor suggestion: I would like to be able to skip the polite forms and focus just on the other forms since most of the polite forms are pretty regular and it’s just the other forms where it’s easier to stumble.

kfdm said... Pretty cool. Verb conjugation is something I mix up from time to time so it looks like a nice way to practice.

The programmer part of me is curious how you're storing/checking things. Do you have a database with each conjugation in it, or are you just using some kind of verb type field, and then in the code, figuring out the correct conjugation.

One minor suggestion: I would like to be able to skip the polite forms and focus just on the other forms since most of the polite forms are pretty regular and it's just the other forms where it's easier to stumble.
 Good suggestion, I'll add that to the list.

I wrote a script to get all the conjugations. Originally I thought to store each conjugation after, but with the 1000+ verbs and the many conjugations it became too unwieldy, and I had already written the script to conjugate anyway. I have a list of the verbs' dictionary forms, readings, levels, and English meanings, and then use my script to categorize/conjugate them on the spot as needed. (There's an additional list for present/past English conjugations that I created by scraping a website, I think it was verbix. This list also relies on my script for a full list of conjugations though.)

I don't have a way of checking the conjugations against some verified list (or haven't thought of one at least), which is why I'm relying on more knowledgeable people to point out the mistakes. :D

...okay, I'm definitely going to sleep now. Goodnight, WaniKani!

Darcinon said...
Syphus said... If I recall 見られる is more like "able to see" versus being blind. But someone can correct me.
 I remember reading somewhere that 見られる can mean "to be able to see" as in "to have the opportunity to see," and 見える means that something is physically visible.
 That's possible as well. Neither of them come up all that often for me.

One more thing, shouldn’t “cumulative” have only 1 “m”?

^_-

If that can help you for the website, Kanji Link has a very clear and simple way to explain basic grammar and conjugation, which includes verbs groups.

Great job and motivation by the way. Thanks!

great initiative… will definitely try it in the near future.

newyorkaru said... One more thing, shouldn't "cumulative" have only 1 "m"?

^_-
 Well would you look at that, so it should. :D I obviously don't know how to spell... thanks!

soliche said... If that can help you for the website, Kanji Link has a very clear and simple way to explain basic grammar and conjugation, which includes verbs groups.

Great job and motivation by the way. Thanks!
 Nice link, looks like it should be helpful when I get around to adding more verb forms.

Update 3, 11/4/15

- you can now check on/off the stem and te-form, as well as plain or polite forms

- added WK API integration! Enter your API key on the home page and the list of verbs it pulls from at ‘Conjugate’ and ‘Translate’ will be auto-set to ones you’ve learned. You can still switch between levels, but you won’t get items in your level you haven’t learned yet.

- also you can see a list of the verbs you’ve learned so far on the ‘Verbs’ page

…now I should probably go work on content instead of playing with the UI :stuck_out_tongue:

First of all: Nice work!
But I have a problem. I used WaniConjugation once and everything seemed to work just fine but now my browser can’t load http://waniconjugation.co.nf/json/adjectives.json because it gets a 404. I don’t know if it’s a problem on my end (anit-virus and stuff) or on your end.

The impact of this is that no information on the verbs can be shown.
Screenshot: http://puu.sh/l90Yw/0e37944db9.png

This is so cooooool. I personally need to work on my verb conjugation and verb forms quite a bit, so this is super helpful. Awesome job. (ノ≧∀≦)ノ

I talked with someone about 見える and all that and if anyone cares: If you can see something without your willing or a specific desire to see it: 今日は月が見える, if you want to see the moon and you can see it: 今日は月が見られる.

見えられる is apparently “too much Keigo” or a word 二重敬語, “redundant Keigo” because of apparently ~られる and honorifics.  So you’d hear it as 今日は会社に社長が見えられる even お見えになる is too much Keigo but it’s apparently become a common expression since so many people use it. 

WiiPlayer2 said... First of all: Nice work!
But I have a problem. I used WaniConjugation once and everything seemed to work just fine but now my browser can't load http://waniconjugation.co.nf/json/adjectives.json because it gets a 404. I don't know if it's a problem on my end (anit-virus and stuff) or on your end.

The impact of this is that no information on the verbs can be shown.
Screenshot: http://puu.sh/l90Yw/0e37944db9.png
 Hmm, that is interesting. The adjectives.json error is actually unrelated, I have some unused code in there that I was working on and left it in cuz I'm lazy. I've commented that out so you shouldn't get the error anymore.

No other errors in your console? Right now my thought is that there's a problem with your list of verbs that's been locally stored (stored kind of like a cookie). If you delete the locally stored information and let it re-download, that might fix it? (Unfortunately you'll have to re-enter your API key if you've done that.)

Not sure what browser you're using, but to remove it in Chrome you right click on the little page icon up by the URL, go to 'Show cookies and site data' and then remove the one under 'waniconjugation.co.nf'.

If you have any other errors in your console and/or it still doesn't work after deleting the cookie (or you're having trouble doing that), please let me know. :)
Syphus said... I talked with someone about 見える and all that and if anyone cares: If you can see something without your willing or a specific desire to see it: 今日は月が見える, if you want to see the moon and you can see it: 今日は月が見られる.

見えられる is apparently "too much Keigo" or a word 二重敬語, "redundant Keigo" because of apparently ~られる and honorifics.  So you'd hear it as 今日は会社に社長が見えられる even お見えになる is too much Keigo but it's apparently become a common expression since so many people use it. 
 Sometimes the subtleties of language learning are a bit overwhelming. But now I know a lot more about 見る and its variants! Things you can't work out from just reading a table out of context. Good stuff. :D

WiiPlayer2, it was a mistake on my end. Sorry for not fixing it sooner, I didn’t realize it was another not-using-Chrome issue.
UPDATE, 11/7/15

- fixed error in my code, browsers not Chrome should be able to see all the Japanese text now.

Thank you very much for the effort you are putting into this tool. I wont be using it just yet, but I figure after I have gone through Genki 1, I will have a better understanding of it’s benefits. Looking forward to using it later on. :slight_smile:

Have you considered adding adjectives?

Just saw this and have to say I’m impressed. I wish you all the best with your project!

Agree with the guy above - I am very impressed. Extremely useful tool and nice and easy to use. I do have a lot of verbs unlocked, though, and, back when I was learning the more basic conjugations, I found  that if I really learned just a few examples, I could then work out the other forms more easily (I still don’t think “u becomes wa” when conjugating negatives for example, I think kau becomes kawanai and then apply that to the new verb). So, with that in mind:

MISSING:
An option in the translate section to either Study All or Study 10. You can then select 10 verbs from your list and be quizzed only on those.

*I can’t code at all, so I have no idea if what I’m asking is a convoluted Herculean labour, or a simple 2 minutes work. Either way, I think the site’s great as it is, and thanks for making it in the first place!

Would it be possible to make the verbs not repeat themsevles? I’d like to go through a single unit without them repeating. They could be in random order, though.