Wani-kani tabi-tabi : your reviews on your pebble timeline

Hello there everybody!

I’d like to announce my Pebble smartwatch app, wani-kani tabi-tabi!  The app will synchronize your study queue to your Pebble Timeline.

And that’s about it!  Ok, the timeline pins also come with notifications when new reviews are ready.  And the app shows a nice little summary of your study queue.  But that’s it!  Oh, and it will clean up old timeline pins once your reviews are completed.  And that, truly, is everything it does!

Just in case you are wondering, it does not require a Japanese language pack.  It supports all of the rectangular Pebble watches for now.  I will be working on supporting the round watches too.

Please enjoy!
-JR

5 Likes

This looks pretty cool, any plans to port it over to Samsung Gear?

Hmm… nope!  I’m afraid not.  I only have my Pebble watch.  But the project is open source!  If you, or anybody that knows about Gear development, wants to adapt it, that would be awesome!  https://github.com/jrmobley/pebble-wanikani-tabitabi

The app isn’t reporting the right amount of reviews for me. I.E. 296 (30 new) when I have 55 reviews.

Thanks man. Promptly installed it on my pebble time :smiley:

Hi gumbyscout,

The app does have to be launched in order to get new data from WaniKani.  There is a “Check” action on the timeline pin that will do that.  And it can take an uncertain amount of time for the timeline updates to make their way through the system and show up on your watch.

If you are still seeing incorrect results, can you tell me if it is wrong only on the timeline pins, or is it also wrong on in the watch app screen itself?

jrmobley said... Hi gumbyscout,

The app does have to be launched in order to get new data from WaniKani.  There is a "Check" action on the timeline pin that will do that.  And it can take an uncertain amount of time for the timeline updates to make their way through the system and show up on your watch.

If you are still seeing incorrect results, can you tell me if it is wrong only on the timeline pins, or is it also wrong on in the watch app screen itself?

Yesterday, it was totally wrong in both the app and the timeline pins. Today, it's just the pins, but from what you said, that seems to be the cause. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it keeps cropping up. Maybe it had something to do with the various bugs in the 3.9.0 firmware? I'm currently on basalt 3.9.1 and android app 3.9.0. Thanks!

Shame it’s not available anymore! I’m late to the party, I know, but I recently joined WaniKani and happen to have a Pebble watch :slight_smile: This app must have been really awesome, judging by the screenshots.

You can still download it through Rebble but there’s no way to enter my API key.

The webpage at http://files.mustacea.com/wanikani-tabitabi/1.2/config.html?platform=aplite#{"apikey"%3A""} could not be loaded because:

net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

2 Likes

Hey, hi! Wow.

Yeah, sorry, sometime in the past four years I stopped paying for the hosting that the configuration page was on.

BUT! We are having some epic synchronicity here. Just this past week, I actually got the pebble developer tools up and running again and I have been tuning up my pebble projects. I didn’t think anybody would still be using tabi-tabi at this point, but I am super tickled to hear that somebody would like to! I will tackle upgrading it to work again and try to get an update published to the Rebble store for you.

-JR

3 Likes

I can’t believe this is happening! Tabi Tabi was a very important part of my routine before the Pebble servers shut down (the timeline servers were gonee for a while)

I also tried to run the publicly available js project locally and redirect traffic to a local server but kinda gave up somewhere in the process. It’d be nice to see it running again :smiley:

1 Like

OMG I wasn’t expecting that! :star_struck: I’m so so so looking forward to that, thank you! I’ve been using my Pebble in airplane mode for yeeeears, only connecting it to my phone to download new watchfaces and apps, but seeing tabi-tabi made me think of all the useful functions I’m missing out on (like weather updates and event timeline) and I paired it with my phone again today :relaxed:

How do you even build Pebble apps? :thinking: I mean, what programming languages do you need?

Status update: I discovered that I had been working on a v2.0 update for TabiTabi. I got rid of the status screen in favor of a “all timeline” interface that took advantage of new Pebble OS features. It’s a bit different experience than the old version. Anyhow, everything seems to work, except that I never see a pin on my timeline, and the “App Glance” (which is just changing the subtitle of the app in the app list on the watch) doesn’t show up. Which basically means, it does nothing at all. I’m stumped for the moment, but will keep looking into it.

Oh, and Pebble apps are written in a combination of C and Javascript.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and good luck! I hope you make it but please don’t feel any pressure. I’m sure it’s hard work. :four_leaf_clover:

Thanks Lamster! I really appreciate that.

More status: The One Click Action style that I had started on way back when didn’t work out very well, so I went back to something more like the app store version. And I decided to use the new WaniKani v2 API since the old one will only be around for 6 months. It actually simplified everything for me quite a bit. Yay! It gives me somewhat different data than before, so I also decided to redo my screen to match the latest WaniKani presentation a little better:

pebble_screenshot_2020-04-08_17-11-35

You can see I haven’t been keeping up with my reviews…

Anyway, I’ve almost finished the round layout, and then I’ll need to tie up the loose ends and update the app store material so I can submit a new version. It’ll be a few more days.

3 Likes

Hi again,
Sorry for the delay, but I wrapped up the work a few days ago and sent the update off to the Rebble App Store. I just got notified that the update is live! Let me know if you have any trouble with it, and please enjoy.

https://apps.rebble.io/en_US/application/56899e10142c4f815500002b

-JR

2 Likes

Please don’t apologize! It’s not like you owe us anything :sweat_smile: I just installed it, entered my API key, but it says I’ve got 2 pending reviews when in fact I have none…

Also, is it supposed to show reviews on the Timeline…? Because it doesn’t.

Please don’t take this as criticism, I’m just reporting my experience!

I’ve got the original Pebble.

I don’t take it as a criticism, I take it as a bug report. :wink:

Did your timeline pins ever show up? It can take up to 30 minutes for pins to arrive if you have a paid Rebble subscription, or 3 hours (!) if you are using the free tier. Also, I am only fetching reviews for the the upcoming 24 hours, so if you don’t have anything coming up in that window, there won’t be any pins. But if TabiTabi shows upcoming reviews on its screen, then there should be future pins in the timeline (eventually).

Regarding the incorrect count of available reviews… I don’t immediately have a good theory about that.

If you happen to be on the Rebble Discord, feel free to DM me there for troubleshooting. Otherwise we can do it here.

-JR

Nope, never… I’m on the free tier but it’s been a day and still no timeline pins.

Probably not an issue in this case, I had reviews come up many times yesterday and have more coming up in the next 24h.

I’m rooting for you to figure it out (☞^o^) ☞

I didn’t even know that’s a thing! I don’t use Discord :sweat_smile:

Thanks anyway! Seeing that people still make Pebble apps makes me quite happy!