Wallpaper generator

Anybody make a Mac version of this?  I have MangoTree’s screensaver, but would love to have this as my wallpaper.

neya said...
akranis said... Alright, I've rebuilt the Linux version with https now.

I wasn't able to link all libraries as static, only Boost.

I'm hoping to minimize some dependencies in the future though, as C++11 seems to have made it easier to work with unicode, which hopefully will remove the need for jsoncpp and utf8cpp.

I'm going to see if I can rebuild the windows version today as well, but I don't currently have Visual Studio installed, and might need some time to set up the development environment again.
 What are you going to change within the rebuild of windows? Because it's working fine for me on 64bit win7.
 I'm mostly going to make sure it's using https instead of http. But I'm also going to fix that config file once and for all.

This is great! I used the windows generator and created a little .bat file that boots up WaniKani and generates a wallpaper. I then converted that into an .exe with the WaniKani icon and renamed it. Now all I have to do is click on the program and it does it all for me.
I believe that Windows 7 will update my wallpaper when the image changes?

The bat file is really simple, here is the code.

WaniKani.bat cd “C:\Users\NAME\Documents”
start WaniKani.url
cd “C:\Users\NAME\Kani”
start wanikaniwallpaper.exe

So many intersting apps I would ke to try and this is one. Cool.

pushindawood said... Anybody make a Mac version of this?  I have MangoTree's screensaver, but would love to have this as my wallpaper.
 +1, same here

I seem to be a bit late to the party but, because I don’t know how programming or coding or whatever the term is, I need help. So, I was wondering if there is any way to add my own kanji into the system. This is cuz’ I am using the userscript “Self Study” and I noticed that some of the kanjis that I’m learning are on the list. So, I decided to use Paint and color in the kanjis that I know. But, you see, when I press the “wanikaniwallpaper” icon, it deletes the kanjis that I manually colored, and I’m forced to color again. I understand that the wallpaper generator does this because it goes to Wanikani, gets all the information, then makes something out of that, but, I’m asking if there is anyway to add kanjis into the system/program-thingy/I-don’t-know-what-it’s-called-because-I-don’t-know-crap-about-programming-or-coding-or-whatever-you-guys-call-it. Maybe I should scrap all that and just ask, “Is there any way to add kanjis into the system?”

EDIT:

<TL;DR> Is there any way to add kanjis into the system? Plz halp. Thanks in advance.

I tried the linux version pre-compiled on Arch linux but it complained about libjsoncpp.so or something. I had the library installed so don’t know what was wrong. After cloning the repository and compiling it myself everything worked fine. Awesome little tool :slight_smile:

So great! Thanks for this!

looks awesome! thanks

Eug132 said... I seem to be a bit late to the party but, because I don't know how programming or coding or whatever the term is, I need help. So, I was wondering if there is any way to add my own kanji into the system. This is cuz' I am using the userscript "Self Study" and I noticed that some of the kanjis that I'm learning are on the list. So, I decided to use Paint and color in the kanjis that I know. But, you see, when I press the "wanikaniwallpaper" icon, it deletes the kanjis that I manually colored, and I'm forced to color again. I understand that the wallpaper generator does this because it goes to Wanikani, gets all the information, then makes something out of that, but, I'm asking if there is anyway to add kanjis into the system/program-thingy/I-don't-know-what-it's-called-because-I-don't-know-crap-about-programming-or-coding-or-whatever-you-guys-call-it. Maybe I should scrap all that and just ask, "Is there any way to add kanjis into the system?"

EDIT:

<TL;DR> Is there any way to add kanjis into the system? Plz halp. Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can edit the order file, this is the file that determines which characters to use.

Can someone make a Youtube video of this because I suck at computers

1 Like
atu1213 said... Can someone make a Youtube video of this because I suck at computers
 The easiest way to do this:
1) Copy/write down your Public API key from Settings (under Menu under your site avatar in the top right).
2) Go to the Live Javascript version from the first post (http://dbowring.github.com/wanikani-wallpaper-js/)
3) Paste/type your API key in the box in the far upper left corner.
4) Click on Query Kanji.  You will get a background that looks like the one pictured on the original post of this thread.

5) Use the various buttons/sliders to edit your wallpaper.
6) Click on the Save button to save it as a .svg (Scalable Vector Graphic) file.

You can open the .svg file with any program (IE is default on my computer) and right-click on it to set it as your desktop background.  if the sizing is off, use the options to adjust the file size and then save the .svg again.

BFBullpup, I am grateful for this too! Let the Greatest Crabigator be always merciful to you, always give you nice mnemonics to remember and not shower you with 500+ reviews at once! :smiley:

I’m still using this. One of the motivating additions to my study yet! Thanks again!

Thank you for making this; it’s lovely!

Thanks for the script! I used Photoshop to colorize mine a bit. :smiley:

1 Like

the app stopped working for me all of the sudden spits out some error that I’m not using JSON

Melter said... the app stopped working for me all of the sudden spits out some error that I'm not using JSON
 I'm getting the same problem. "Was not able to parse api, is it really json?"

I’m not getting an error message but it’s stopped working for me too.

Aleithian said... I'm not getting an error message but it's stopped working for me too.
 When you try to run it does it close instantly? If so, you're probably getting the same error but the window closes too fast for you to read the message.