Japanese Movie Club // Current Movie カメラを止めるな! One Cut of the Dead // Accepting Proposals for Next Movie

Current Movie

カメラを止めるな! One Cut of the Dead

Next Month’s Movie

Accepting Nominations!

Welcome

Thanks for checking out the Japanese Movie Club! Once a month we’ll decide on a movie to watch together and discuss it in another thread (it’ll be linked up top ^). If you watch a movie after its month is over feel free to continue the discussion! Links to previous months’ threads will be listed below.

The goals of this club are to help people practice their listening skills and make some friends! :slight_smile:

Also, we have a discord! Discussions will still happen here on wanikani, but if you’d like to join us there as well feel free!

Movie Proposals

• An entire series is not allowed as a proposal, but you may suggest a single movie that’s part of one as long as it is able to stand on its own (or even multiple from a series as long as each one can stand alone).
  • It can be a foreign movie as long as it has a Japanese dub.
  • It must be available on at least one streaming service. The more the better!
Proposal Template

You can copy this template, but as long as it has all this information it’s good!

# Title Here

# Rating
Rating Here (please also put why - for example: PG13 for adult language or R for violence)

# Summary
A summary, plot synopsis, etc goes here. [spoiler] Please put spoilers behind spoiler tags [/spoiler]

# Availability
Where can we watch it? Netflix (what countries), Amazon Prime, etc.

Current Proposals

The Lies She Loved

嘘を愛する女

Nomination Post

Rating:

Yukari Kawahara (Masami Nagasawa) works at a drink manufacturer. She works hard and achieves recognition for her work. Yukari Kawahara is dating research doctor Kippei Koide (Issei Takahashi). They have lived together for 5 years. One day, Kippei Koide collapses from a brain hemorrhage. Yukari Kawahara soon learns that everything she knew about her boyfriend was a lie. She hires private detective Takumi Kaibara (Kotaro Yoshida) to investigate Kippei Koide.

Available on: Netflix (Japan)

The Insect Woman

にっぽん昆虫記

Nomination Post

Rating: NR

A woman, Tome, is born to a lower class family in Japan in 1918. The title refers to an insect, repeating its mistakes, as in an infinite circle. Imamura, with this metaphor, introduces the life of Tome, who keeps trying to change her poor life.

i -Documentary Of The Journalist-

i -新聞記者ドキュメント-

Nomination Post

Rating:

In Japan, there is an informal agreement between mainstream media and the government that is hardly ever questioned: Journalists are not too persistent in their criticism, in turn representatives of the government grant direct access to select information through press conferences. Isoko MOCHIZUKI, reporter for the Tokyo Shimbun newspaper, has established herself as a spoilsport in this system.

And Your Bird Can Sing

きみの鳥はうたえる

Nomination Post

Rating: 15+

The triangular relationship between three 21-year-olds - the unnamed narrator, his male roommate Shizuo, and a woman named Sachiko who works at the same bookstore as the narrator.

Think Again, Junpei

純平、考え直せ

Nomination Post

Rating:

A low-ranking yakuza is given the mission to kill a high-ranking yakuza from a rival group. Wanting recognition, he accepts the assignment, only to meet an enthusiastic office lady.

A Bride for Rip Van Winkle

リップヴァンウィンクルの花嫁

Nomination Post

Rating:

A woman hires actors and strangers to pretend to be her friends and family at her wedding.

Sumo Do, Sumo Don't

シコふんじゃった。

Nomination Post

Rating:

A college senior, Shuhei, is blackmailed by a professor into joining the school’s sumo team. He is aided by a group of misfits who must team together to defeat their rivals or face disgrace and the disbandment of the sumo club.

50 first kisses

50回目のファーストキス

Nomination Post

Rating: PG13?

It’s a remake of 50 first dates. Daisuke Yuge (Takayuki Yamada) works as a tour guide in Oahu, Hawaii and also studies astronomy. He meets Rui Fujishima (Masami Nagasawa) at a cafe and falls in love with her at first sight, but Rui Fujishima suffers from memory loss due to a past accident. (copied from Asia wiki)

Kung Fu Hustle

Nomination Post

Rating: R

Sing, a mobster in 1940s China, longs to be as cool as the formally clad Axe Gang, a band of killers who rule Hong Kong, but can only pretend.

Available on: Netflix (USA, Japan)

The Addams Family

Nomination Post

Rating: PG-13

Stepping out of the pages of Charles Addams’ cartoons and the 1960s television series, members of the beloved, macabre family take to the big screen.

Available on: Netflix (USA, UK?)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Nomination Post

Rating: PG

Indiana Jones, his young sidekick and a spoiled songbird get more than they bargained for when they go to India in search of a missing magical stone.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Nomination Post

Rating: PG

Accompanied by his father, Indiana Jones sets off on his third adventure to explore the cradle of civilization on a perilous hunt for the Holy Grail.

Mother

マザー

Nomination Post

Rating:

Akiko (Masami Nagasawa) is a single mother and her son is Shuhei (Sho Gunji). Akiko casually has sex with other men, including Ryo (Sadao Abe). Akiko is the only person whom Shuhei can rely on. One day, Shuhei is involved in a tragedy.

Available on: Netflix (USA)

37 Seconds

37セカンズ

Nomination Post

Rating:

Yuma is a young Japanese woman who suffers from cerebral palsy. Torn between her obligations towards her family and her dream to become a manga artist, she struggles to lead a self-determined life.

Available on: Netflix (USA)

Watch Parties

There are various extensions and apps that allow people to sync streaming services. It’s not a requirement for joining this club, but it is fun to do if you can.

Resources

Ways to do Watch Parties

Previous Movies

転々 Adrift in Tokyo

13 Likes

There were lots and lots of people who said they were interested in the interest check thread so I can’t possibly ping them all. I hope you guys see this! :crossed_fingers:
Also, sorry for the gap between that thread and this. I kinda wanted to start with the new month.

Question! Somebody had mentioned discord in the other thread. Would people want that?

• yes let’s have a discord
  • no thanks
  • no preference

0 voters

A discord is also useful to have a watch party in. You can have up to 25 people watching at once iirc.

3 Likes

Movies are supposed to have Japanese subs or only Japanese audio should be fine?

I’m in for the Discord thing, specially if is used for the parties. Mixing a lot of streaming services from all over the world and hope many people will have available still the same content sounds like quite the challenge.

In my experience so far Japanese stuff isn’t as great about subtitles for hard of hearing folks as English is. I thought that if they had to have both for a movie to qualify it might just make this club a lot harder to pull off than it already is, so as long as it has Japanese audio it’s good :+1:

1 Like

As in, they don’t describe sounds? Stuff like “[happy music plays in the background]”, that sort of things?

I haven’t looked super hard so I could be totally wrong! But I suppose yeah - as well as subtitles in general. If I can find subs it’s usually translated from the original dub and not just subs for the Japanese dub. Maybe I just don’t know the right words for googling?

But either way we’ll consider subs a bonus but not required :+1:

1 Like

I’ve only rented DVDs or watched on Netflix, and both media always provided JP subtitles :thinking: The only time that was not the case was when I rented anime DVDs (series, not movies) and those (Noragami and Haikyuu) did not have subs, but Netflix did.

Edit: oh wait

You are talking about non-Japanese movies dubbed into Japanese. I was thinking about Japanese movies. I have no idea in that case, since I always watch the original dub. I do use JP subs, but I don’t know how close they are to the JP dub.

2 Likes

Hmm :thinking: yeah I’ve only just recently started watching stuff that was originally in Japanese. I figured I’d have less of a bad time if I at least new what was going on thanks to seeing it before. I’m glad to hear it’s not as hard to find subtitles as I thought it was!

Well, it might still be super hard to find subtitles independently rather than bundled into a DVD or streaming service :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m mostly watching film channels in Japanese TV, Japanese CC’s are common enough there too. Most films broadcasted before midnight will have them.

2 Likes

Can I ask how you turn them on? I live in Japan and it would be really nice to use them. Do they often overlap with the subtitles gameshows and comedy shows like to add? Like physically, not content-wise.

If is just for watching, well, the decoder remote usually has a [字幕] button → red one here at the bottom.

Then if for using those CC’s for anything language learning related (like actually converting those to proper selectable text), having a device called ts抜き connected to your computer will allow you to record the actual stream and then transform those CCs into srt subs.

I understand what you say about shows and well CCs will usually complement those words flying every so often over the screen in Japanese shows (variety shows usually) rather than repeating the same thing. And physically the format they use will allow for CCs to appear in places so they won’t overlap with the rest of the text and will even be colour coded for different people talking.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m going to turn that on as soon as I get home.

I am in and “Hell Yeah, Let’s use Discord” :metal:

1 Like

Would it matter if I used subs? I’m only at the start of my journey into japanese and I probably won’t understand much otherwise

Since half the people so far voted they don’t care about whether or not there is a discord and a third said yes I went ahead and made one!
Invite link
It’s also in the first message to make it easy to find in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can use subs! It’s up to you - whatever you feel would be most useful.

By the way, following the advice some people have given here I’ve subscribed to Windscribe; 1US$ monthly for accessing Japanese Netflix (having a Netflix account that is), besides the slower free VPNs, that’s got to be one of the cheapest options.

Would it be ok to start proposing films and dates?

If so here are a few I’ll like to watch. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Proposals are awesome! Could you please include this information though?