VOTE NOW FOR NEXT BOOK // Absolute Beginners Book Club // Currently Reading: 10 Minute Biographies

Awesome, thanks for the links! Judging by the pages that I’ve seen, I think the Beginner Book Club would be a better fit for me. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

No problem at all! Glad to have helped :grin:

2 Likes

So… tomorrow I’ll create the poll. How long does people usually keep it open?

1 Like

I’m around the same level and the current Beginner book-club book is a little hard but the next one that starts in March seems a lot easier.

2 Likes

I think seanblue usually keeps the ones for the Beginners’ Club open until the voting dries up, which is usually a few days after opening it. Definitely never stays open longer than a week.

1 Like

@emucat - If this thread is the main thread for the ABJBC then it really needs a list of all the books that have already been read at that level. So far there have been:

にゃんにゃん - you don’t yet have a link in the OP to this one
なぜ?どして? - this one you have a link to
Yotsuba - this originated from the original bookclub but then took on a life of its own, and we are about to start vol.7, the ABJBC OP really needs a link to the Yotsuba meta-thread

Like I say, I think the ABJBC is a great idea, so I hope this helps!

1 Like

I didn’t know about that book! I’ll update the thread!

2 Likes

There was also the fairy tales (at least two sets mentioned. One has been formally nominated in the other group but will be moved here (set of 18) , the other was mentioned and linked to on amazon, and has a more painted style) , and the manga Chi’s Sweet home belongs more in this group than the other.

And there are three kinds of graded readers (two brands, one ( にほんご多読ブックス) physical only, one (white rabbit) has physical and digital but no story are both places)

I can make proper nominations tomorrow (it is very late), but Chi and the set of 18 fairytales has proper ones on the other group at least (will re do them here anyway, as we’ll get a different score on the voting most likely)

But please hold of on voting for next until I get them ready. Will have all the ones mentioned formally nominated tomorrow =)

2 Likes

@emucat, you might want to keep control of the editing rights, but if you make the OP a wiki then other people might be able to help with adding nominations and things like that ^^

Thanks you very much!

I’ll do that! I’m not expecting to be managing the group, I only wanted to start the discussion

Yeah, I remember you saying when you started the thread - I figure enabling the wiki will encourage others to get involved from the start :blush:

Done! I think…

I can see the edit button, so done! =D

Looks good to me!

I think you have to have a certain Trust Level to be able to edit wikis, so not everyone will be able, but some people should be able to help out now. I can’t remember whether Member is enough or whether you have to be a Regular :thinking:

1 Like

I believe only the first level can’t do do it ( the one you have when you first join, before member. Forgotten the name, but basically brand new people who haven’t posted anywhere. Takes a few hours or days to get to member. I remember they needed help to get added to the member list in the original book club if they hadn’t been active at all in the forum, and joined to be part of the book club =) )

Edit, basic? I think that’s what it was called. Need Regular to create a wiki, but Member can edit. Basic can’t edit.

1 Like

Thank you for adding the edit button - I’ve just added the link! Cheers @emucat!

Thanks to y’all! I’m really really busy/tired these days so any help is much appreciated!

2 Likes

Proposal

10分で読める物語 二年生

Summary

From product description on Amazon:
小学2年生のための日本と世界の物語、昔話、名作の短編、詩、俳句など13作品収録。2年生が難なく楽しく読めるだけでなく「物語の読み方がわかる」本として、現役の国語科の先生が作品を選定、解説。読み聞かせに、音読に、朝の10分間読書に最適の1冊!
A compilation of fairy tales, folktales, famous short stories, poetry, and haiku, from Japan and around the world, for second graders. A book that’s not only easy and enjoyable to read, but also helps them understand how to read fairy tales. Selections and commentary by current Japanese teachers. The best single volume for reading to your child, having them read aloud, or for 10 minute morning reading!

187 pages
13 stories/poems
some illustrations

Availability

I don’t see an ebook available on Amazon Japan.

Personal Opinion

Fiction would be a nice change of pace after なぜ?どうして? This is at the same reading level, but since it’s a different genre, it will probably use different vocabulary and style. So I think it will be engaging, but not too hard.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Same reading level as previous book
  • Has furigana
  • Stories are unrelated, allowing people to skip chapters if necessary
  • Includes some traditional Japanese stories, so we can learn more about Japanese culture
  • Includes poetry! Up your reading cred instantly!

Cons

• Less kanji means more difficult to distinguish between homonyms and parse word boundaries
  • No ebook
  • Includes 3 stories that were originally not in Japanese

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Table of Contents

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

6 Likes

i’d like to nominate this book, but am currently at work. So I will edit my post when I am back at home

https://shop.whiterabbitjapan.com/collections/japanese-language-books/products/10-pun-de-yomeru-ohanashi-stories-you-can-read-in-just-10-minutes-3rd-grade

What about しろくまカフェ? Could also be at the right level for this club

1 Like