Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Doesn’t seem like it, unless your phone allows it or you have an app that lets you.

2 Likes

Ah, I completely missed the vote for the book after next (it’s high time I set this thread to “Watching”), but I’m glad to see that Komi Can’t Communicate was chosen, which is what I would have picked lol. I’ve seen the anime and I quite loved it so I’m definitely looking forward to that, especially since we’ll be starting that book just as my semester break begins meaning I’ll have plenty of time to enjoy it :smile: (Well, for the first 3 weeks anyways lol) for now I’ll be joining 月刊少女野崎くん, so see you all there!

5 Likes

Oh and by the way, could someone please tell me what the numbers like [2.11/L22] in front of the book names mean? No idea about the first number and I think the second is the Natively level but I’m not sure.

2 Likes

The relavent part in the poll post

8 Likes

Oh woops, should have read the instructions first :sweat_smile: Thank you

3 Likes
9 Likes

If you are interested in testing the waters beyond the Beginner Book Club AND want to read a (non-manga) book, here’s a quick heads up that the Intermediate Book Club is currently voting for their next pick!
Before voting, please make sure to check the reading samples of the books you are interested in (the nomination posts are all linked in the thread’s OP) so that you can gauge the steepness of the difficulty ramp-up ahead of time.

12 Likes

The 月刊少女野崎くん book club has started!

14 Likes

Today I was looking at online shops that sold physical Japanese books and had a good laugh with this machine translation of Komi can’t communicate.

32 Likes

I was a bit surprised when I just realized that the last week of 月刊少女野崎くん has already started! With that I thought it would be a good time to give a quick rundown of the schedule for this club in the next months

• Feb 04th: last week of 月刊少女野崎くん starts
  • Feb 18th: start of 古見さんは、コミュ症です。
  • Mar 13th: start of the vote for next book
  • Apr 22nd: start of the last week of 古見さんは、コミュ症です。
  • May 06th: start of newly selected book

Currently we could use some more nominations. If you have anything you think would be a good fit for this club, please feel free to nominate it!

17 Likes

I plan to nominate ひとりぼっちの〇〇生活, but don’t have the time right now. I’m sure you’ll remind everyone again though, and I should be able to write up the nomination later this month.

8 Likes

Today we are starting the new book club! If you are interested have a look at the link below!

Could one of the regulars change the title to: Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 古見さんは、コミュ症です。 Thanks :pray:

14 Likes

When clicking on the link, it tells me that the page doesn’t exist

5 Likes

I had that issue too, but then I tried following the link a second time, and it worked. I haven’t had that with any other links today, so I wonder what is causing it.

5 Likes

Ah yes, after a couple more tries it did work for me too. Huh, might just be a temporary server issue.

5 Likes

There was a small mistake in the link that might have caused the issue, that I have now fixed

6 Likes

One more week until we vote on what to read next. If you have any ideas for nominations please nominate them!

@seanblue small reminder

It would be great if one of the regulars could change the title to [Looking for Nominations] Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 古見さんは、コミュ症です。

10 Likes

ひとりぼっちの〇〇生活

Natively: ひとりぼっちの○○生活 1 | L21

Summary

Japanese

友達ってどおしたらできるのかな…。 極度の人見知りの女の子・一里ぼっち。中学でクラス全員と友達にならないと、唯一の親友と絶交しなければならない!? 絶体絶命友達つくろう計画、奮闘の第1巻!

English

Hitori Bocchi, a girl with social anxiety who has difficulty communicating with others. Before starting middle school, her friend Yawara Kai, who will be attending a different school, tells Bocchi she is breaking off their friendship until she can make friends with her entire class at her new school. Thus, Bocchi is left with the task of befriending everyone in her class before graduation.

Availability

Physical: Amazon, CD Japan
Digital: Kindle, Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

One of my favorite manga series. It’s cute and funny. What else do you need!

Pros and Cons

Pros

• Short chapters
  • Light on text

Cons

• Very little furigana (could be a pro given the sparse text)
  • 14 chapters, so requires many weeks or reading two chapters per week most weeks

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Bookwalker preview: https://viewer-trial.bookwalker.jp/03/13/viewer.html?cid=a0a64fb7-c282-4e21-b532-9fb249e2586f&cty=1

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know

0 voters

13 Likes

Just as an added note on ひとりぼっちの〇〇生活: While the premise might feel similar to the current book 古見さんは、コミュ症です, they are almost nothing alike. I’ve only watched the anime for 古見さんは、コミュ症です, but I think ひとりぼっちの〇〇生活 is far easier and far less weird than 古見さんは、コミュ症です.

8 Likes

Compared to what? Kinda looks to be fairly typical of yonkoma to me. Which is to say, between one and a half times and two times the usual bubble density of regular freeform manga.

Oh, I dunno. Komi certainly doesn’t have a habit of vomiting every time she makes a new friend. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes