Volume 3 (Original Ed.): フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

Did you realize that we’re almost done with Volume 3?! Here is Chapter 17!

Reading

Start Date Chapter Pages (Original) Pages (Collector’s) Page Count
Oct 24th Chapter 17 127 - 156 (v3) 131 - 160 (v2) 30

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

2 Likes

Oh, and one more thing: Since we are now following the numbering scheme of the Original Edition, I think we should also treat this book club accordingly when it comes to starting new volumes etc. Therefore a poll should be in order:

Are you planning to read Volume 4 with us?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If so, when would you like to start Volume 4?

• Without break (i.e. Nov 7th)
  • After a 1-week break (i.e. Nov 14th)
  • After a 2-week break (i.e. Nov 21th)
  • After a longer break (please explain)

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m up for whenever, so I selected all the options (except for longer). I haven’t been reading along so far, but I’m excited to start in on volume 4 whenever you decide to begin. :grin:

3 Likes

Oh, two bittersweet chapters in day. First 3-gatsu now this one. But I have to admit, this was the most fun I had with a chapter of Fruits Basket in terms of language. Momiji’s story was very easy compared to how everyone, especially Kyou, is usually talking.

One question about a sentence I didn’t get at all but I’m curious about, I think it’s on page 134:
安心しろ花島、上をいくバカがちゃんといてくれっから

I think it means something like “Don’t worry Hanajima, you’re not the only idiot” or something like that purely from the context (how Kyou reacts) but I have no idea what it actually means. Ichi.moe didn’t help me making sense of it at all.

Oh, almost forgot: ファーティ was a lot easier to grap than the kana-nized Maedchen from last time. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the shouting and swearing doesn’t help much when it comes to actually understanding what they say :joy:
I must confess sometimes I’m rather feeling my way through these passages than reading them…

For the sentence, I am still struggling to give a concise translation, but maybe picking it a bit apart already helps you?

上をいくバカが - 上を行く - Jisho.org the idiot that is ahead
ちゃんと - ちゃんと - Jisho.org properly / sufficiently
いてくれっ - seems to be a slur of いてくれる - to be
から - that’s why

Again, I only recognized it because of the furigana :rofl: Those katakana-ized German words are not for me…

1 Like

Yeah, me too. Really helps having watched the anime before.

Yeah, thanks! I can’t really think of a translation either, but it does make more sense now.

1 Like

We made it to Chapter 18, this volume’s last chapter!

Reading

Start Date Chapter Pages (Original) Pages (Collector’s) Page Count
Oct 31st Chapter 18 157 - 187 (v3) 161 - 191 (v2) 31

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Also, good to hear from you @kmurgs - I was a bit worried we might have lost you :sweat_smile:

For Volume 4, everybody voted for a 1-week break, so let’s go with that and start the new volume from November 14th! The new home thread is now live.

1 Like

Started a new job so I haven’t had much time for ANY Japanese, but I’m still here! I read chapter 15 at 5am this morning :v:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s dedication! :heart_eyes_cat: Hopefully you can manage to catch up, or at least don’t increase the distance further…