Vol 2 starts Apr 13 - 気になってる人が男じゃなかった ・The Guy She Was Interested In Wasn't A Guy At All (Beginner Book Club)

Hello there!

I am only midway though N5 bunpro grammar, but I really like the manga that got picked out! :sparkling_heart::rainbow:

I will do my best for my first book club, but honestly I might drop out

よろしくお願いします。 ( ^ω^ )

9 Likes

howdy! i’m following along with the ABBC book club right now, but I read the preview pages for this without much difficulty (only a few kanji/vocab lookups) and the concept really interests me so I might join and just read slowly ^^

11 Likes

Time to get started! Week one thread is up!

16 Likes

I have a quick comment on the vocabulary list. I am not sure if there is a rule on this somewhere that I am not seeing, but I would generally suggest that the “Vocab (Kanji)” column be left blank if the vocabulary item is one where kanji is rarely used. For a Beginners’-level club, I generally think that identifying kanji for words that are generally used in kana is a distraction and even detrimental to learning functional Japanese - I know this from my own experience when I first started Japanese and I wanted to know the kanji for everything however useless in everyday life.

A specific example would be the entry for “びっくり”. While there technically are kanji for that word, they are rarely used (one of the kanji isn’t even in the jouyou kanji) so I think is it more useful for learning purposes (at the beginner level) that the kanji side of that entry be deleted. I think this vocab list should be less a comprehensive dictionary than a focused learning tool, but others may disagree,

Does this make sense?

7 Likes

Yes I agree. In general if it’s not written in kanji in the book, the kanji column should be left blank. This would apply to all words, whether it’s commonly written in kanji or not.

If someone is keen to add the kanji this can be added to the notes column after the page number.

I’m surprised this isn’t in the guidelines for the spreadsheet actually, it must be an unwritten rule!!

7 Likes

I was actually responding to mention the same rule! I could swear I’ve seen it written somewhere before, but now I’m not sure where.

3 Likes

Sounds good. I just made that edit.

I have been making small corrections to some readings definitions as I go as well (“ちゃらおとこ” to “ちゃらお” or “口説 (くぜつ)” to “口説く (くどく)”) - nothing major. I will make a comment in the notes section to highlight these changes.

5 Likes

Week 2 thread link below

13 Likes

I’ve done week 3 for the vocab list but if someone would like to glance over it it would be appreciated.

8 Likes

Hey does anyone know what the name of this size manga is? Like just physically? Or is it just A5?

2 Likes

Bigger than standard size. I don’t have it on hand but it’s what I think of as ‘premium size’ (between that and the limited colour, probably why the physicals are a bit pricier)

2 Likes

Yeah but like is there a name for it like tanko or bunko?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s exactly A5, yeah. If there’s another name used by publishers or something, I don’t know.

I just measured my copy and it matches the A5 dimensions. Compare Paper Sizes | Paper Sizes

2 Likes

Looking up what size paper is used for tanko and bunko got me here

so maybe wide-ban would be the most fitting name for it? :thinking:

5 Likes

Does the name matter for something or you’re just curious?

2 Likes

I was trying to find the size name for another book and noticed that this one’s size is the same because it’s in my currently reading pile.

2 Likes

Gotcha. In my experience, it’s maybe the second or third most common manga size. It’s certainly my second most common as all the Manga Time Kirara 4-koma manga come in this size. I think some shounen manga might be a smaller than normal size though, which is why I’m unsure.

3 Likes

Oh sorry I misread lol

2 Likes

Yeah, for sure. Most shonen and shojo are the standard tankobon size. I’m not sure what size the slightly larger version is that’s between this one and regular tanko, but I’ve got to get to work so that’s a question for another day

2 Likes

TIL that manga are printed in different sizes. Which I guess is not that surprising.

Is there a reason or pattern to size choice? Authorial preference? Genre? Something else?

2 Likes