Vocabulary Usage Questions:

I wanted to start a place where people could ask questions about word meanings, since I read the sentences that come with vocabulary as they help me establish the context for different vocabulary, even though I don’t understand a lot of the sentances completely yet. My first question is about a sentence for Injustice: 俺の叔母は、いつも自分が今までにした不正やごまかしについて話をする。
My aunt always talks about her personal acts of injustice and deception. What is the purpose of 今まで, until now or so far, in the sentence?

2 Likes

It’s functioning like you think. It’s modifying the した to say something like “done until now” or “ever done”. So something more literally like:

“To have talks concerning injustices and deceptions ever done.”

1 Like

Ah thank you! I am used to hearing and translating sentences as literally as possible so I have to learn to make the translations fit the sentence. I learned Latin for 9 years through high school and then minored in it in college, where translating as literally is possible is vital to understand the text :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.