Vocabulary answers

Please make it so when you answer a on-yomi reading for the vocabulary it tells you that it needs the kun-yomi instead of marking it wrong because sometimes i end up typing the on-yomi reading instead and dont realize it and then it marks it wrong.

This is a popular one lately. The on’yomi is not an acceptable answer for the vocabulary, because the vocabulary is a word for use in spoken or written language on its own and has a specific reading you have to use. That is why it does not, and should not, accept on’yomi as correct.

The kanji, rather than the vocabulary, will give you the option to try again because it can be read different ways depending on what word it appears in. This is not the case for vocabulary, so my best advice is pay attention to whether it’s vocabulary. Otherwise how will you guess which reading you’re supposed to use when you read the word in a normal context?

4 Likes

Sorry to be strict about it, but this is in the Feedback forum description.

The bottom line is that if the reading is wrong for vocab, not penalizing it would potentially let people who don’t know it fully guess their way to the end.

i.e. they know that つき, げつ and がつ are all readings for 月, they can’t remember which is the vocab reading, and keep saying がつ but are given a second chance, and say げつ, then つき. The SRS interval will lengthen even though they didn’t demonstrate that they remembered it well.

2 Likes
6 Likes

May be not the best example

For the vocab being taught.

がつ doesn’t mean moon. Also, it’s listed as suffix there, so it can’t stand alone anyway.

it’s listed as noun too (edit: it’s not, you’r right mb)

A noun that is used as a suffix. It’s not two separate things.

In any case, the reading is always dependent on what word WK wanted to teach. つき is the reading for the word that means “moon” and so any others are wrong.

It can get annoying if wanikani decide to teach a specific one over an other one you already know, like

I always answer さい for the vocab 際 because I tend to forgot that WK only want to teach きわ

True, I would find that one to be more compelling as a “bad example” to give than 月. The use of げつ as an abbreviation for Monday is fairly casual and while you can argue that it is “right” to answer that way in some very loose sense, it still feels like a stretch to me.

I didn’t know you could use 月 on its own as Monday, I thought it had to be an abbreviation of say 月曜日と火曜日 as 月火 to mean “Monday and tuesday” and even then only under particular circumstances where context makes it obvious…

Also there’s probably very few examples like 際 right?

Well, presumably that’s the situation it’s referring to, but it still gets its own entry because it’s not functioning with other days by default.

In my computer, when it displays the date on top it does not use the “day of the week” 曜日 part.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.