Vocab you thought wouldn't be that useful to learn, but turns out to actually be common?

For me its 仕方がない. I thought its this specific word that wouldn’t be used too often. But then I started to notice it everywhere. Even if I see it more commonly used without the particle as 仕方ない.

4 Likes

quite a few i recognise and i go “they really say that?”
of course, i can’t remember them now
last night i hear 立ち入り禁止 lots in Magatsu Wahrheit Zuerst

the one i hear a lot in anime but don’t use in english much is 本物

4 Likes

調べる turns up surprisingly often on the NHK articles I’m reading for practice.

4 Likes

Once I learnt 仕方がない, I heard it in almost every slice of life anime I watched.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I’d expect to hear that spoken much, but it certainly appears on signage.

And then there’s Aika in Aria, whose catch phrase is 恥ずかしいセリフ禁止

3 Likes

he sounds so good saying it too!

1 Like

I don’t know how common it really is but I encountered 猫舌 the same day I learned it and was really surprised it’s actually used.

6 Likes

It’s great for explaining why you can’t slurp down your ramen fast. I always have to wait an extra 5 minutes before I can enjoy mine else my tongue gets absolutely burned.

3 Likes

I remember wondering about L21 反省 : Reconsideration

“Reconsideration” sounds like a fairly big word to me in English, so I was surprised how common 反省 actually is.

L33 体操 : calisthenics
I didn’t know the word “calisthenics” so I mistakenly thought 体操 was a rare word. But actually 体操 is not only any kind of rythmical body exercise but also gymnastic in general.

L38 還元: Return To Origins
Puzzling definition, is it about reincarnation or something ? :stuck_out_tongue: So I forgot about but then it suddenly appeared everywhere in Japan

And finally, not a vocab, but probably like most people, it was a big WTF moment when WK wanted to teach the kanji 藤 “Wisteria” at only level 22. I didn’t even know what “Wisteria” is.

Only to realize later that the kanji 藤 is indeed extremely common

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.