Vocab request: 本音と建前

Is there a good way to suggest new vocab for WK to add?

I recently came across the word 本音と建前, and I was disappointed to realize that not only does WK not cover it (well, not the first part, 建前, is included), but it doesn’t cover the ね reading for 音 at all. It seems like it would be nice to include at least one word that uses that reading so people would learn it. I understand that WK can’t include all the vocabulary, but I think they should try to at least cover the common kanji readings, since that’s the main point of the vocab anyway.

6 Likes

I second that request.
I have also thought that these would be good words to add.

2 Likes

I agree 本音 would be a good one to add!

本音と建前 is not a word though, と is just ‘and’

6 Likes

建前 has been here for a long time already. I remember it from my first time around.

1 Like

A quick glance shows me that ね appears as a reading for 音 in the following:

音色 = tone quality
本音 = real intention
虫の音 = insect call
ぐうの音も出ない = lost for words
弱音 = whine
弱音をはく = to whine
音を上げる = to give up
空音 = imitated cry
忍び音 = quiet weeping
鐘の音 = peal of a bell
遠音 = distant sound

Maybe there are others but teaching ね for just one common word when you’re likely to come across おん isn’t in WK’s ethos. If anything they should teach いん in addition to おん.

1 Like

I just saw this word when reading 5 minutes ago. :grin:

2 Likes

“Words” on Wanikani are often a combination of multiple words. Anyway, it doesn’t matter much if they decide to add 本音 or 本音と建前. I just thought the later might be easier to remember, since they already teach 建前, and it provides more context to help stick out in memory.

2 Likes

WaniKani teaches 重, but doesn’t teach 重ねる (かさねる), a verb I see sometimes.
Another verb I saw that’s not on WaniKani is 結ぶ (むすぶ).

I don’t want WaniKani to teach every single word that uses a kanji, but I think readings that aren’t too uncommon should be taught, just like you said.

2 Likes

I could have sworn 結ぶ was on WK but I checked and nope, you’re right. I must have learned it somewhere else. Weird.

1 Like

I just found two more examples on NHK News Easy: 梅雨前線 and 梅雨, which demonstrate two readings for 梅 that Wanikani doesn’t cover at all. (As well as a meaning that WK didn’t cover - from Wanikani, I thought it was only for Japanese Plums, so I have no idea what it’s doing in the rainy season words).

I figure if vocab shows up on NHK News Easy and it contains readings that WK doesn’t cover, it’s probably common enough to merit consideration for inclusion.

1 Like

Oh yeah, 梅雨 is a pretty common piece of vocab around this time of year, so it’s almost certainly worth including.

2 Likes