Visually Similar Kanji - 季 and 委

Yeah, but that’s different from how I worded it. The thing you’re saying is doing the penetration is part of the radical itself. Rather than “the radical” having been penetrated.

I stand by my analysis!

I’m in an argumentative mood, so don’t take this personally. Something having been penetrated versus something CURRENTLY being penetrated. I choose the thing being penetrated.

Also, I love saying penetration so many times haha.

I’m not taking it personally, but the てへん radical isn’t being penetrated currently. It’s just a hand sitting there doing its thing. But whatever works for you. Sometimes “opposite” meaning mnemonics work for me.

And just as a note, I’m always up for arguments over semantic minutiae. So you’ll get no compaints from me lol

Here’s a trick I thought up a while back. Imagine the second line already existing as a constant and the first line on the top simply copying the second line. If the first line is shorter, then you have “not yet” matched the second line. If it is longer, they you know you have “ended” your copying of the second line.(Yeah you went overboard, but at least you did it) Essentially the trick is to keep the bottom line constant and see how the top one compares.

For added memoriability, imagine the top line to be comically short, so short you can barely see it. Someone keeps telling you to copy the bottom, but you keep saying “not yet” because you are too lazy to draw a single line. Then, when you finally get around to copying the second line, you extend it wayyyy beyond the second and say, there “THE END!!!”

1 Like

I totally agree. I think there needs to be three sections added to wanikani if possible.

1. Look alikes: a place to compare kanjis that look very similar but have different meanings and\or pronunciations.
  2. Synonyms: Kanji and/or vocabulary that share meanings. I cannot keep straight all the Jukugo words that mean “expect” or “expectation.” I now basically just guess “expect” as the meaning for any Jukugo word I can’t remember and that doesn’t have some kind of intuitive meaning based on the Kanji.
  3. Sound alikes: This is less important than the above two sections, but it would still be helpful to do a comparative study of Kanji you’ve already unlocked by shared on’yomi or kun’yomi.
3 Likes

羊 半 平 干

m

1 Like

牛、生、午 ALWAYS get me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.