Visual Novel Book Club // Now reading: ISLAND

alright I flaked out of loopers but I’m still putting this up

D.M.L.C.-デスマッチラブコメ-

Developer: Kemco Corporation
VNDB Play Time: 27h (but only based on 1 vote)
VNDB Link: D.M.L.C -Death Match Love Comedy- | vndb

Summary

Death Match Love Comedy, does the exact opposite of usual visual novel, as having a girl fall in love with you could mean your death.

Basically, the premise of the game is that the player is a guy that just got transferred to a new school, and if a girl confesses her love to him, he explodes… and dies. To make matters worse, he falls into some sort of love triangle with two beautiful girls, leaving his fate up in the air.

Unlike other dating simulations, where your goal is to get girls to fall in love with you, in Death Match Love Comedy, you’ll be doing everything you can to avoid just that, as you try to figure out the reason behind the love-fueled explosions.

Additionally, there will be other mysterious phenomenon, such as angels, a friend who has some sort of prediction, weird dreams and whispers, and a strange pink cat-like creature.

While you’ll be doing your best to avoid an explosive death, there will be many other events that could result in the death of the protagonist. Witnessing just how the poor high school boy dies will be one of the game’s attractions, according to the developer.

^ That’s just the summary from VNDB. I’ll note that Raging Loop is basically a loosely-related prequel, if anyone has seen/played that.

Availability

Steam
PS4
Switch

Personal Opinion

I’ve read Raging Loop by the same writer, and that made me interested in this. It looks like a pretty silly light-hearted game (although I assume there are Plot Moments). I think it’s structured similarly to Raging Loop: there are a few main routes that must be played in order, and within each route are choices that either continue the route or lead to an immediate bad end. So even though there are choices it’s still mainly a linear story. …And even if that’s not how it’s structured I’m pretty sure there’s a flowchart, which will make coordination/navigation simple. Since it takes place at a school, hopefully it also has relatively grounded vocabulary.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Neat balance of genres (romance, SOL, action, comedy, mystery?)
  • I think text-hookable (Raging Loop was)
  • Has choices but not a mess of branching paths

Cons

• Choices will still need to be coordinated
  • Not voice-acted
  • $30 ($20 on sale)
  • Might be kinda long for the club’s pace

Pictures

Screenshots

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this VN?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

9 Likes