Visual Novel Book Club // Now reading: ISLAND

No promises this nomination will be chosen, but it’s half off ($10USD) on steam for the next couple days if you’re interested in reading it!

# マルコと銀河竜

Developer: TOKYOTOON
VNDB Play Time: 6h39m
VNDB Link: Marco to Ginga Ryuu | vndb

Summary

Marco, an orphan with missing memories, and Arco, a dragon who rules the galaxy, were hunting for treasure in space! On one of their adventures, Marco was given a clue to the whereabouts of her mother.
Their next stop, her birthplace - Earth!

Availability

Steam
Nintendo Store, Switch version

Personal Opinion

I’ve been meaning to try this one for a bit, was debating it as my own short palette cleanser between long VNs sometime. It’s voiced, very well reviewed, and features extremely high production values. Like, new CGs practically every line. Parts of it have been compared to essentially watching a cartoon, so it has a bit of a different style at times from your average “anime-like” VN, though it does have that art style frequently too. People make it sound like a fun space adventure.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Voiced
  • Available on both Steam and Nintendo Switch
  • I’ve verified texthooking works (in the beginning anyway)
  • Allows for on the fly language swap or even dual-language simultaneously
  • While I can’t guarantee reading difficulty, it’s a 4/10 on jpdb with a low average sentence length and I’ve seen a few people recommend it as a chill early read.
  • Reviews and ratings are pretty glowing everywhere

Cons

• While I think the plot has a serious overall core, I get the impression it can be a bit… zany? Maybe an offputting tone for some, hard to say.
  • There’s definitely no sexual content, but the VNDB images include a few rather gratuitous bits of “fanservice” so there might be a bit of that in a potentially offputting way for some?
  • There are apparently a few minigames, which I get the impression are tiny and not a big deal, but for people who want pure reading it might be a minor annoying diversion.
  • There are animated segments, and thanks to AzusaChan’s help I know at least the first of them involves some dialog. These parts are likely to not work with the texthooker and will function more as listening practice (though the quick language options should cover you for those just looking to read or needing help).

Pictures

Screenshots

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

10 Likes