Verb conjugations

They are also two different verbs. That is the way they are taught. 建てる is dictionary form, as is 建つ. They’re just different verbs, even though 建てる happens to look like the potential form of 建つ.

3 Likes

This is actually what I talked about in my post (just with a 立てる example)

While not a script, this page lets you see all of the conjugations of a desiered verb.

1 Like

Just to lay it all out, even though others have done so already.

たつ - intransitive, dictionary
たてる - transitive, dictionary
たてる - potential of たつ
たてられる - potential of たてる

There are 4 forms here, but two just happen to look the same. If たてる was always the potential of たつ, you couldn’t really have a potential of it as well.

4 Likes

Also, just look at the definitions that WaniKani gives for 建てる:
“To Build”
“To Construct”

Clearly these are not potential.

So I guess this is just a misunderstanding between identical conjugations? Sorry for everybody jumping on you, Raijin.

Wanikani Teaches both of those。Acording to Tanoshi 建てるis the potential form of 建てつ。https://www.tanoshiijapanese.com/dictionary/index.cfm?j=建てる&e=&search=Search+>

Please Link me to a site that says Shows 建てるas an plain indicative form.

It seems there i much confusion, maybe it’s on my part? But if you refer to my question. it’s still not being answered?

I if Wanikani did implement this it would clear up confusion. for instances if it stated that it was a plain indicative verb. then when I it showed the potential form I wouldn’t be so confused because I would already know the plain form so if I saw the potential form I would recognize. Because I know how to conjugate to the potential form. some plain forms of verbs look like potential forms of verbs, so not knowing if its’s plain for or not would be confusing.

some people keep saying wanikani only teaches dictionary forms, which really confuses me as i’m pretty sure it teaches other forms.

Are you asking why they don’t state that it can be used as both?

It does not teach other forms.

I can see where you got confused to begin with, but hopefully we can clear it up. I don’t think anyone means to get heated, it’s just like a “who’s on first” sketch.

4 Likes

The second entry on this link does exactly that

Sorry for the confusion

WK doesn’t tell you what form verbs are in, because they are always in dictionary form. I can’t think of a single example where they are not (except for expressions, but those are a bit different).

You can also tell by how you will always have to type, To Run, To Build, To Learn, etc., as opposed to any other form of the verbs.

I believe the simple mistake here is reading to BE stood up as to BE ABLE to be stood up

wanikani teaches 建てつ So wouldn’t it be logical For Wanikani To list 建てる As The potential form of
建てつ Don’t you think? Rather then a separate entry? this way would it not be easier to remember? Not to mention that this would make it eaiser to learn potential forms of verbs because you would eventually realize what they look like? But if all verbs are listed as present indicative It would make it hard to spot the connection.

You’re asking why they don’t teach the potential form? As stated, 建てる is never meant to be the potential form here.

No, because WaniKani does not teach potential forms. It only teaches verb pairs, which are separate verbs which are either transitive or intransitive.

WaniKani has no reason to teach conjugations. It’s a kanji learning site, not a grammar or conjugation learning site. It’s a separate entry because it’s a different verb.

1 Like

WK doesn’t really want to get into the grammar teaching business, so they don’t bother to tell you that you could see a potential form of another verb that looks identical to the one they are teaching you.

1 Like