[verb] and [verb]

I’ve been learning about verbs and particles (Genki 1, page 90-ish) and I got hungry.
So I went to the kitchen to get some tea and cake (classic brit).
Whilst there I realised I don’t really know how to say “eat and drink”.

Here is my translation:
私は台所でお茶とケーキは飲みと食べます

Google translate is fine with the sentence, but I know how unreliable it can be.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Edit:
The target sentence in English “I am eating and drinking tea and cake in the kitchen”.

1 Like

I think you want the てform. 私は台所でお茶を飲んでケーキを食べます。

You can use て form of verbs to indicate two things happen.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t you rather say: “I ate some cake and drank tea?”

私はケーキを食べてお茶を飲みました。

Edit: I just saw Saida gave a hint on the use of the て-Form. :slight_smile:
Also you should use を to mark the Object instead of は, which is more indicating the subject or the main topic of a sentence.

2 Likes

Why would future tense not be allowed?

Or was your comment more geared towards the order? Eating before drinking? I don’t think that is a very important distinction.

You mean present tense? Japanese doesnt have future tense :wink:

Other way. Japanese does have future tense. Normal jishokei and masu form is future tense. You have to use ている to definitively say present tense.

1 Like

Ooops I didn’t look correctly. But I would guess @evolutionxbox was more looking for the present tense then, right? Then it would be 飲んで食べています。(“I am drinking and eating”) instead of 飲んで食べます, which would be translate as “I will drink and eat”.

1 Like

Sure, but I don’t think that should be the focus of this thread, since the question was about how to say two actions in one sentence. Since maybe they haven’t got to てform at all yet, maybe introducing one use at a time is enough.

Or “I am in the habit of drinking tea and eating cake in the kitchen”

Well, it’s a bit ambigous but I meant that grammatically Japanese does not have a future tense in the sense of a verb form reserved strictly for the future.

2 Likes

In this case I was (I was at that moment eating cake and drinking tea), but my question isn’t necessarily limited to the present tense.

1 Like

For feeling I would add a いつも (always) there.

Well, they don’t have one for present tense either, then, by that logic. But jishokei is usually future tense, or generally accepted habit. You can’t be eating cake, and answer a question like “what are you doing” with ケーキを食べる/食べます. As you are then saying you will be eating it later, not at the moment.

1 Like

There are a lot of way to say this depending on the tense and how you are talking about it.
I think Saida’s answer is the most common

In the kitchen I drink tea and eat cake

If you want present tense I am eating cake and drinking tea, you can use ている form

2 Likes

Or 毎日、毎月 and other such indicators of habit.

1 Like

I guess I would go with 食べて飲みました。(I ate and drank.)

食べて飲んでいました。(I was eating and drinking) can also be correct I guess, although I am not so sure about the practical use.

If we’re being that pendantic, they have neither grammatical future or past tense, but perfective and imperfective…

2 Likes

I’m only on page 116… :weary:
Most of this is going over my head.

I will be taking notes though. :nerd_face:

1 Like

I think the main point here is that original poster should read about て form Page 150 if they want to understand this better. We are probably making it very confusing lol

4 Likes

of which textbook? Oh you already mentioned.

1 Like