Venting: I hate learning Japanese at my American University

I am aware. I don’t need to hear those kinds of things. They’re also terrible words of motivation. Nobody wants to hear that. And it shows people really don’t care

2 Likes

I have taken Beginner Japanese I and II, as well as Intermediate I, and on Intermediate II. It all started going downhill when my TEACHER, the one I’ve had for 3 semesters now, has changed. The one in Beginner I was so much better and a better teacher because I could understand. I got an A in Beginner I, a B+ in Beginner II, and a B- in Intermediate I. I’m on 75% now in Intermediate II and I may be in danger of failing if it goes below 70%

Also thank you. I wish you all the best with your Japanese studies as well

The turnover rate for my Japanese majors/minors is extremely high. Lots of students drop out, as well as drop out of the courses. They are awful. God awful. I’m telling you as someone with a major in it and who is almost 3/4 done with the entire language part of the major before Advanced I and II

Thanks man, I’m hanging in there. Honestly, yeah they are god awful. But it’s moreso their course content/curriculum that should be heavily updated and revised because it’s really crappy and should not hold weight when students don’t learn this way.

Also we have just finished Genki II. I also use Bunpro and Toukini Andy as well as Game Gengo

1 Like

I have watched MANY particle videos and try to study my particles. I’m still making mistakes, because it’s expected to make mistakes with particles else how else will you learn? It just sucks that I’m punished severely for getting particles wrong when the whole point to getting better at particles is to use them and make mistakes

I do appreciate the recommendation. But the problem is I still need like 50-60 more credits in order to graduate. Dropping the major is dropping a ton of credits. When I first transferred to UNC, more than half my credits did not transfer so its essentially starting over. So I’m doing a double major and minor in Info Sci, Japanese, and minor in Studio Art. So I kind of need those credits. I also don’t want to deal with emailing the professors for permission every time to take a class due to UNC’s policy of taking non-major classes requiring a permit code. It’s very irritating.

But yes I also will get my JLPT certs in the future as I do plan on a goal of eventually getting N3 or N2 certified

1 Like

That’s not really a bad idea but I don’t have much of an interest in Info Sci. I’m only taking it because I’m from an IT background and I HATE Compsci degree because it’s 90% math and science and 10% programming (the hell with that), so I chose Comp Sci as the 2nd major so my degree isn’t useless. Honestly, the IT/Info Sci side of my degree is just so I can make money, and the Japanese side is to allow me to take all the Japanese classes.

Eventually, I do plan on immigrating and studying at Tokyo Communication Arts College, but I want my Bachelors as a fallback plan incase my career does not move the way I want it to.

Also I do plan on getting certs like the A+, JLPT, etc etc. since I have more knowledge of IT and tech stuff since when I last failed the A+ by 5-10%.

Plus I do study Japanese as well as getting better at drawing, animation, and game dev/3D stuff like Blender and Unreal Engine 5 in my spare time.

2 Likes

Ah, I understand better now. I’m so sorry you are having such frustrating problems.

I hated learning Japanese at my university as well. In my case it was because no one took it serious and most people liked anime and manga (which is fine). It seemed liked they were on the class to meet other anime fans and not actually work hard and learn the language.

1 Like

Sounds like you are having a rough time and are in a tough spot and I’m sorry to hear it. I tend to think foreign language classes are largely BS, so I’m pretty sympathetic to your viewpoint here.

As others have suggested, my instinct is to advise you to drop the double major. It sounds like you have your reasons, but I really wonder if you are having these problems now in the Intermediate classes, what will the Advanced classes be like. I know I struggled a lot in undergrad at first until I dropped out of school and worked for a while, then came back with a clear set of goals and a clear plan to achieve them and graduated with a high GPA and got the school to pay for my Masters degree in Information Systems to boot. So in situations like yours, I think you really need to step back and evaluate what your long term goals are, the path to achieve those, and what is the best use of your money and time. And you have to be really careful about avoiding the sunk cost fallacy when thinking through this. Is this really worth your time and money? What will it help to you achieve long term? Is it worth the stress? Try to be as objective as possible, maybe talk it out with someone you trust.

If after doing that, you still think this is the worth the effort, then here is what I can suggest from the school of hard knocks, and also someone who taught undergrad classes:

1. I understand you hate the teacher, but you need to do everything you can to get them on your side. Do they have office hours? Go as much as possible. Talk to them and get them to understand your goals and where you are having problems. When I taught I had office hours every week and only 1 out of the 50 - 100 students I had regularly showed up. Showing the teacher that you are putting in the extra effort is a huge advantage. Hopefully they will become more kindly disposed to you and will give you a break on the grading.

2. Be very careful with this one, but AFTER doing the first thing above, if things are still not improving, request a meeting with the head of the of your program or the foreign language department. Prepare to frame this discussion by showing how much effort you are putting in but you don’t feel that you are seeing results. Document how much you are studying. Bring evidence. Show where you are with WK and Bunpro and whatever else you are doing. It needs to be unquestionable that you are putting in a sufficient level of work. Keep the focus on the work you are doing, not anything the teacher is doing. This is not a referendum on the teacher, your goal here is to try for some alternative arrangements or accommodation, and there is no guarantee it will work.

5 Likes

I’m genuinely curious: Does your major not provide enough credits on its own? I only took the required classes for my major and the required general education credits and I had more than enough (by a wide margin, actually) to graduate without a second major or a minor. Maybe that’s because you transferred, though?

This is good advice. It sounds like this might be a long process, especially if some of your transfer credits didn’t count, and it’ll only get longer if you fail a class and have to retake it.

This is also great advice. I’m sure the last thing you want to do is go see the instructors you despise, but oftentimes they’ll be much more supportive in a one-on-one setting and they may be able to offer some help if they can understand why you’re having a difficult time in class.

3 Likes

Hope your semester ends/ended on an OK note. Are you doing summer classes, too?