Using Wanikani with KKLC?

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well! I have been using Wanikani for a few months now, and have been thoroughly enjoying it. However, I realised that I have “The Kodansha Kanji Learner’s Course” text, and its graded readers just sitting on my shelf.

I was wondering if you can use KKLC in conjunction with Wanikani, or should I just stick with one?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Use the graded readers, for sure.
You will be too busy here when things ramp up to be seriously using another system for learning kanji.
But maximum exposure is going to be the best way to cement things in your head, so have fun with other kanji resources when you have time. Other material won’t unlearn what you learn here. It is still the same language, with the same common uses of the same kanji.
Good Luck!

6 Likes

Hey Rose,

Thank you so much for the help! Just a quick side question, how should one practice physically writing kanji while working with Wanikani? I just started a Japanese major at university, and some of the future courses are going to be heavy on the physically writing part.

2 Likes

Lots of people practice right on their phone screen. I don’t recall the app.
I learned with a water brush (little brush from the craft store that you can fill with water colors.)
I have kanji-stroke-order font installed on my computer that I have used.

There is a whole giant opinionated debate here about learning to write at all. The group consensus is that there is no need to learn. But, being that you need to learn for school, your situation is different.

Really, once you learn to write like 100 easy characters, you will understand the rules of stroke order, and most of the rest will just become automatic.

Writing for me is a joy.

4 Likes

I have looked at KKLC before, thinking that it probably might not be needed; at least not for now. (So, I have another Kodansha Kanji book – the Synonyms Guide, but whether to recommend is equivocal.)

Grazing at RTK may help. Kangxi radicals alone may have lower yields.

Personally, I think writing helps; but you might not need to try too hard or go too far.

I have KKLC but never used it. I pulled up the Amazon store page for it and read the summary. TBH it sounds cringey. Its own self-published summary sounds like a sponsored review. It is the BEST resource, according to itself. Award-winning and renowned. Probably best not to actually open it, but to place it on a pedestal, build a small shrine to it and offer sacrifices, because the knowledge contained therein may be too much for mortal ken.

All of that being said though, I was actually thinking of going back to the anki deck based on it.

I got myself a copy of KKLC before learning about the existence of WK. So I ended up using both, the former as a complement.

After leveling up I go through the last level’s kanji list and then review them on KKLC. I find it a good method for me to see the characters in another way and get a few more example vocabulary.

I don’t particularly see KKLC as “cringey” as mentioned in a reply above. Essentially it is the same as WK: there’s the kanji, the readings, radicals, mnemonics (which are quite decent!), and example vocabulary. IMO it does a much better job than the arguably indeed cringey RTK where you learn the meaning and reading completely separately.

I don’t use it for learning kanji, though. It’s more of a “review + second/different perspective” to the kanji I have learned on WK.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.