Using state of being clauses as adjectives

That’s the question I started with as well.

Hey Leebo, I must admit I confused myself and forgot that what I’m am actually conjugating is the state-of-being and NOT the noun itself.

It appears to be Tae Kim’s way of representing the concept anyway. Not a fan, but it wasn’t meant to be a criticism of you or the thread.

2 Likes

It seems like one of those cases where someone oversimplifies something and just makes it more complicated/confusing (or technically wrong). I didn’t notice these kinds of things when I looked through the guide 2-3 years ago. But of course I agree with your comments that だ is conjugated, not the noun itself.

EDIT:
I’m going to share this just because I really like this website. Not sure it adds that much to the discussion.

https://www.kokugobunpou.com/助動詞/だ/

2 Likes

I’m so confused… He never* says anything about conjugating nouns, and noun clauses can be conjugated cuz they contain verbs, right?

*Just read the other two links and it seems he does, but not in relation to what OP was talking about.

The OP was asking if the author meant to say “conjugating nouns” in that section precisely because it doesn’t say it there now. It wouldn’t make sense as a question if it did say it now.

Declining is the conjugation of nouns (though it is a latin thing, not sure if any other languages are stupid enough to do it) :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to be clear, the meaning of that post was how can you conjugate a 名詞, since not conjugating is in the definition of 名詞, but yeah. I’m sure other languages handle it differently.

I second this website. It’s very easy to understand plus it’s a great way to understand the logic of Japanese grammar.

1 Like

I meant that I’m confused by the direction the thread took, not the original question… The start reads a bit like Chinese whispers

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.