Using あげる in this sentence?

I know that the Japanese example sentences are supposed to be “essentially” equivalent, as are all good translations, but I’m trying to break apart this particular one:

もし私が全能の神だったら、この会話を通訳してあげることができるけど、そうじゃないから無理だわ。ごめんよ。

If I were omnipotent, I would be able to interpret this conversation for you, but I’m not, so I can’t. Sorry.

Specifically, this part:

この会話を通訳してあげることができるけど

Does anyone have a more thorough explanation of how あげる works here? I can glean that the distinction is:

この会話を通訳して = interpreting this conversation
この会話を通訳してあげる = interpreting this conversation for you

Is this like a general way that I can say “doing X for someone”, or is there a more common way of doing so?

2 Likes

If I understand the sentence correctly, a [Verb] + te form + あげる means youre doing the verb as a favor for someone. The あげる is whats indicating you’re doing it as a favor. (If anyone knows better and I’m wrong, please let me know :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

What @donut223 said is right. Here’s a link to an online resource (Wasabi) going over this use of あげる, as well as other receiving/giving verbs.

4 Likes

I bookmarked that page. It looks like a great resource! I was enjoying it until I got about halfway through and my brain shut off and I said to myself this (Japanese) is a horrible, impossible language! So complicated! I’ll never get to that level of understanding!
But yeah, it looks like a great resource, so I saved it for later.
Thanks.

3 Likes

I do this too. It’s a great feeling coming back to something you’ve bookmarked and realizing that you can now understand more of it, especially when you otherwise feel like you’re not making progress.

3 Likes

I hear Japanese are happy when they hear you can speak Japanese, but very impressed if you can speak keigo! Though whether this qualifies as keigo already, is a bit of a grey area.

2 Likes

差し上げる I think would be the next step up in politeness.

1 Like