[Userscript]: WaniKani Ultimate Timeline

Well whadya know I was JUST about to look for this and here it is in the recent threads thingy.

Hey, I realize Iā€™m not using the ULTIMATE timeline but your original Timeline scriptā€¦
But suddenly itā€™s gone invisible on me. I canā€™t see the bars at allā€¦ however, rolling my cursor over where they might be in the blank space, the data (1:00am 5 items, current level) shows up on the tooltip.

The first time this happened tonight, turning it off and on again worked (the check box for the script itself in greasemonkey). However, trying it again now (after it happened the next time I went to the Dashboard, as well as many other subsequent times) it no longer does. Iā€™m using Firefox, and there was an update today. (Yet, the timeline initially worked just fineā€¦ still, I feel like the update to the browser is the culprit.) I can still see the ā€œWanikani Timelineā€ title, as well as the help question mark. Then itā€™s just blank space. Super weird.

Any ideas?

AnimeCanuck said... Hey, I realize I'm not using the ULTIMATE timeline but your original Timeline script...
But suddenly it's gone invisible on me. I can't see the bars at all... however, rolling my cursor over where they might be in the blank space, the data (1:00am 5 items, current level) shows up on the tooltip.

The first time this happened tonight, turning it off and on again worked (the check box for the script itself in greasemonkey). However, trying it again now (after it happened the next time I went to the Dashboard, as well as many other subsequent times) it no longer does. I'm using Firefox, and there was an update today. (Yet, the timeline initially worked just fine... still, I feel like the update to the browser is the culprit.) I can still see the "Wanikani Timeline" title, as well as the help question mark. Then it's just blank space. Super weird.

Any ideas?
 I could take a look tomorrow, though keep in mind the old timeline script wasn't originally my code... I mainly just added a small graphical enhancement.

I remember you were hesitant to upgrade to Ultimate, but I'd really encourage giving it a try at least.  It's a lot faster loading, and you can disable the extra info in the settings menu if you want it to be more like the old script.

Yeah, itā€™s true. Iā€™m also wondering if itā€™s justā€¦ Windows XP failureā€¦
Or my stubbornness to leave the cache alone (because itā€™s so much easier for the browser to autocomplete websites for you, rather than make bookmarksā€¦ ^_^;;; ) and it just needs clearingā€¦ or what. Or maybe my video card (doubtful) is just overtaxed today/sliding out of the motherboard again. shrugs

I appreciate it in any case. I may just do that in a day or two.

(The script also intermittently appears on this ā€œHabit Browser Classicā€ for android that I got on my tablet to put scripts on, where I have WK Real Numbers, your Timeline, and xMunchā€™s Reorder Ultimate (which also only sort of works.) ā€¦ in that case, I know itā€™s the browserā€™s weird psuedo-functionality that is the culprit.)

EDIT: Iā€™m leaning towards it being a cache/memory issueā€¦ closing and reopening my browser (but not turning off greasemonkey and reloading ~ that too didnā€™t work) seems to have restored visibility. At least for now. Just before bed. XD

Yeah, so far so good for today. shrugs

I really like this, though would be cool if there was an option to change the colour of the date-change bar, perhaps either a switch to a black/dark grey color or if itā€™d let you specify any colour, because my brain keeps wanting to interpret the red line as ā€œthis is where you currently areā€.

If youā€™re comfortable getting into the code, you can edit line 120:

'#timeline .grid .newday {stroke:#f22;opacity:1;}'+

Change the ā€œ#f22ā€ to ā€œblackā€:

'#timeline .grid .newday {stroke:black;opacity:1;}'+

Seems like the initial API key fetching or whatever isnā€™t working now. I assume itā€™s because Wanikani changed the settings page.

Soā€¦ it seems like WK just changed the user CP, so now this script gives me a message saying:

It seems you havenā€™t generated an API key yet.
Please click [here] to generate one automatically.

With the [here] link sending me to https://www.wanikani.com/account, while the correct (new) link should be https://www.wanikani.com/settings/account.

Iā€™ve fixed it locally by replacing every occurrence of /account on the script for /settings/account, and editing line 1170 to change it from:

api_key = page.find('#api-button').parent().find('input').attr('value');

to

api_key = page.find('#user_api_key').parent().find('input').attr('value');

That about did it. Just reporting it in case other users have this issue and want to fix it themselves, and perhaps to make @rfindley 's life a bit easier :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you, Tizzysawr. Half of my scripts were going haywire.

thank you so much!

Thanks! Looks like I have several scripts to fix now. I just noticed the change a few minutes ago while updating the stats site thread.

I thought it was all just me. I did notice the account section changed, good to know itā€™s a simple script change.

v6.3.3 - Updated WK account page address after site change.

2 Likes

Wow, did they tell us? Seems a bit rude to just spring a major change like that without warning.

I donā€™t think they said anything. I wouldnā€™t consider this a major change though. Functionality wise everything is still the same, I think. All that changed was the layout. Normally it wouldnā€™t affect the user at all. Causing some issues with userscripts was an unintended side effect.

1 Like

I was surprised to see such a big change as well. Maybe @viet can tell us more?

Just making things more organized and explicit. Plus there will be some new additional account features in the very near future (user-end account resets and account deletions).

1 Like

It has the benefit that the new layout works way better on iPad mini. Now I donā€™t have to turn my iPad everytime I want to access the menu. Thanks!

Iā€™m really glad I donā€™t have to type in my password every time I want to change the lesson batch size :slight_smile: