[Userscript] Wanikani Self-Study 1.1.5 - Add your own Vocabulary!

vlava said... This looks awesome, and I don't mean to be discouraging, just a lot of us will be using Anki for this purpose, which allows you to add audio for each vocab item (this being the key difference for me), and is a lot more customisable, too much perhaps, as it takes quite a lot of Anki experience to figure out the various things it can do.     There is a script that lets you import all the new vocab you learn in WK to Anki.     Anki can also be used offline.    I agree that the WK format looks much nicer though (it's possible to make Anki resemble WK I think, just it's very fiddly) plus it's nice to be able to have all your learning in one place.    
I know ^^
I mostly coded this because I wanted to learn a bit of javascript, and I thought if I do so, might as well make something that's useful for others

Sounds like fun, maybe I’ll have a go at something like this one day… 

I think for people like myself who are either very newbie with Anki or who so far exclusively use public decks (I am both of these things), this offers an attractive method of integration - made doubly attractive by preserving the WK interface!
Just as one may export from WK to Anki for collected integration there, perhaps future scripts can manage the reverse (obviously, without carryover of SRS info, but still useful nonetheless).
For myself, I often want to separate out certain advantages of Anki: I think audio is really the primary input of new language (until extensive reading begins), so I love that about it…but find myself closing my eyes to avoid reading, or having readings I want to challenge myself on spoiled by audio that functions as furigana - all could be fixed with deck redesign, of course.
Having a two-way export might enable making WK the locus of my reading practice, and Anki of my listening comprehension.

Where do you guys get the audio for your vocab? Maybe, if there’s a good site, I could make my script automatically make the music play from there

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3100585138 - the Japanese ones come from JapanesePod (which is also the source of the pronunciations on http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C).   

When I tried to review the console reported:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘date’ of undefined VM592:620
   generateReviewListVM592:620
   unsafeWindow.WKSS_reviewVM592:575
   onclick

Similarly, when I try to edit the console reported:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘date’ of undefined VM592:395
   generateEditOptionsVM592:395
   unsafeWindow.WKSS_editVM592:271
   onclick

Edit: I’m using Chrome v32.0.1700.107 with Tapermonkey v3.6.3737.80.

skuni said... When I tried to review the console reported:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'date' of undefined VM592:620
   generateReviewListVM592:620
   unsafeWindow.WKSS_reviewVM592:575
   onclick

Similarly, when I try to edit the console reported:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'date' of undefined VM592:395
   generateEditOptionsVM592:395
   unsafeWindow.WKSS_editVM592:271
   onclick

Edit: I'm using Chrome v32.0.1700.107 with Tapermonkey v3.6.3737.80.
You probably need to reset your localStorage, maybe you upgraded without clicking the delete all button?
It wants to access the date property for the SRS but can't find it (because it doesn't exist)

You can do so by right clicking somewhere on the page, then selecting 'inspect element', navigating to Resources, in the dropdown to the left select localStorage, then delete both User-Vocab and User-SRS (which you maybe don't have), then refresh the page
Here's a screenshot

click the export button first, before deleting everything, afterwards import it again, so you won't lose your vocab
If the import doesn't work, check if the exported text resembles this:
[{"kanji":"to do","reading":[""],"meaning":["する"]},{"kanji":"自習","reading":["じしゅう"],"meaning":["selfstudy"]}]
The [] around reading and meaning were added with the multiple meaning and reading update, maybe you'll have to add them by hand

Sorry for the trouble ^^

Awesomeness!! Really appreciated, thank you so much^^

Glorious said... Awesomeness!! Really appreciated, thank you so much^^
 I must second this!  Great work!  I look forward to seeing it evolve.

Thank you good sir.

Just tried it, can you enlarge the window frame?

sounds useful.

if only it allowed multiple readings and meanings…

and had a mode specifically for hiragana vocab (because its kind of a pain to find kanji for those words, and itd be nice if i could forgo that part without messing up the item)

shall keep an eye on this.

Tarsen said... sounds useful.

if only it allowed multiple readings and meanings...
It allows multiple readings and meanings, see the how-to ...

and had a mode specifically for hiragana vocab (because its kind of a pain to find kanji for those words, and itd be nice if i could forgo that part without messing up the item)
Also possible, again, read the how-to xD
Shudouken said...
Tarsen said... sounds useful.

if only it allowed multiple readings and meanings...
It allows multiple readings and meanings, see the how-to ...

Also possible, again, read the how-to xD
 ...whoops.
Thud said... Thank you good sir.

How big would you like it? And what window specifically?

Also made a new Version:
During reviews of items with kanji asking for reading, there is an option to play audio, when this is clicked, a new tab will open with a play button...
No idea how to auto-play this sound, would be better if it did >.<

Also it's now possible to enter 2 readings for items with multiple readings at once
for example: 悪口 will be correct when entering: "わるくち" or "わるぐち" or "わるぐち, わるくち" or "わるくち, わるぐち"
Also works for meanings
Shudouken said...
Thud said... Thank you good sir.

How big would you like it? And what window specifically?

Also made a new Version:
During reviews of items with kanji asking for reading, there is an option to play audio, when this is clicked, a new tab will open with a play button...
No idea how to auto-play this sound, would be better if it did >.<

Also it's now possible to enter 2 readings for items with multiple readings at once
for example: 悪口 will be correct when entering: "わるくち" or "わるぐち" or "わるぐち, わるくち" or "わるくち, わるぐち"
Also works for meanings
 Can you make the windows frame adjustable?

works well.

though, i would like it to show the other meanings or readings before moving onto the next question. also for it to wait for me to press enter again before moving on.

cimmic said...  Can you make the windows frame adjustable?
Yes, just did a really quick update for you, you'll have to edit them manually in the code right at the top after the debugging section
Here's a screen to help you out

Tarsen said... works well.

though, i would like it to show the other meanings or readings before moving onto the next question. also for it to wait for me to press enter again before moving on.
 You're right, I'll see what I can do about that, it does show them when entering a wrong answer

for the double enter I already tried to do that, but I didn't succeed xD
Edit: I'm an idiot, it was so simple lol, will update soon

Tarsen, if you update it now, it should be exactly how you wanted it :smiley:
Check the changelog for further info

Hope you have more suggestions :slight_smile:

Here are some screens

yeah, that works perfectly. thanks~