[Userscript] WaniKani Rendaku Information

I’m having a déjà vu – I have just read that yesterday after posting my bugfix here :laughing:

In the little testing I did yesterday, I did not encounter that bug because it seems to only happen when the rendaku section is non-empty, and I only have lessons for the new WK items that this script does not know.

I’m not sure if you intended to reply to me or the script author, but I went ahead and created a pull request with the fix.

I totally forgot that I had posted a fix for this before. Thanks for submitting the pull request!

1 Like

I have merged the pull request. Thanks!

I also added the source code which originally generated rerendaku_information_data.json, and a brief README, in case anyone is interested in updating the script further - either with the new added vocab or with improved rendaku rules.

1 Like

@nonymouse @Sinyaven

Just a heads up, the switch to using react in more places on the lesson page at https://preview.wanikani.com/ causes certain DOM elements not to be present until a while after DOMContentLoaded, and for certain elements, not until they are actually shown on the page. Also, elements that are not shown are typically removed from the DOM now. This breaks WKInteraction and any scripts that depend on it, including the Rendaku Information script and Keisei. The change is only on the preview site for now, but will presumably eventually go live on the main site.

Edit: Advanced Context Sentence is also broken, although it does not use this framework.

Hi everyone!

It seems I´m experiencing some problems related to the script. Suddenly the rendaku information has stopped appearing in lessons and is only available in the individual vocab page. Does anybody have the same problem? Any feedback?

Many thanks in advance!

Edit: I installed and uninstalled but nothing changed.

WK has updated the lesson screen today. I have already created a fix that you can download here:

2 Likes

Awesome! Problem solved!

Many thanks! :pray:

1 Like

@nonymouse I just noticed that I forgot to increase the version number in my pull request. Can you do that, or should I create a new pull request?

EDIT: Oh, you invited me as collaborator. In that case, I can probably change it myself :smiley:

Thanks Sinyaven! I merged the pull request. I also invited you as a collaborator on the repo so feel free to release updates yourself, since at this point you’re a better judge than me of whether they are working.

1 Like

HI! Very small thing, is it possible for a switch to disable the category altogether in cases where the rendaku information is not relevant to the reading (like for a single kanji). Thanks!

The new version 0.2008 now adds a settings menu that allows to “Hide trivial info”. To enable this setting, you need to have Open Framework installed, visit a vocabulary item page, and open the settings dialog through the menu:

With this setting enabled, the Rendaku Information section will not be added to the page if the description contains the phrase “no possible rendaku”.

1 Like

It seems the lesson screen has been updated again and rendaku is not appearing in lessons. Any new available link to fix? :pray:

1 Like

Yes, the note input was changed in lessons two days ago. I just finished adapting my code to the change, but I want to test it a bit more before I upload it. The fix will probably be available in a few hours. If you need the functionality restored immediately, you can activate the script compatibility mode.

1 Like

Great! Many thanks!

I´ve activated compatibility for now until you can release the fix link.

P.S: Didn´t know about that mode, so many thanks for the info too!

I have just released version 0.2010 with the fix. Because the OP invited me as a collaborator, I have uploaded the fix to the official repository, so your userscript manager should update the script automatically.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the best place to report a possible bug, but I have this in my current lessons:

Still seeing that now (should be kun’yomi, ね)

What a thoughtful and useful add-on, thank you! I hope this is still being maintained

I’m only maintaining the insertion of the currently available rendaku information into the WaniKani pages.[1] For updating the rendaku information, the original script author wrote a Python script. At one point I installed Python and tried to run the script for the added vocabulary, but something didn’t work correctly and I was too lazy to learn Python and try to find out what the problem was. So unless someone else generates the information for the new vocabulary it will stay in the current state, meaning that the rendaku information is missing for recently added vocabulary like 乗馬.

1. so that the rendaku information section is still correctly inserted even after the WK team changes the page ↩︎

2 Likes

The information is not being displayed for me during reviews

@Sinyaven pinging you bc I’m kinda paniking now :sweat_smile: