[Userscript] WaniKani Open Framework Additional Filters (Recent Lessons, Leech Training, Related Items, and more)

Hello All,

First of all a pre-emptive apology because I’m not sure I’m posting this in the right thread.

I have updated the WaniKani Open Framework because I received a message that said that the Self Study Quiz needed it to work better… but since install, my Self Study Quiz has completely stopped working.

I have already re-installed everything and I’ve modified the order, so that the Open Framework starts up first, but there is no way I can go back to a functional Self Study Quiz.

Did anybody experience a similar problem? Can anybody point me out towards a solution for this?

Thank you very much in advance! Much love :slight_smile:

@Andilisy,
Have you looked in the Wanikani menu?

1 Like

@rfindley Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate. I’m relieved to be able to self quiz again ~ phew!

I didn’t know it was there. It used to appear as an extra menu in every level, just above radicals, kanjis and vocab. Is it the same one? I had modified some settings and presets, but now they’re gone.

Anyway, thank you so much again!

Thanks for adding that. I want to use the official intervals and also support the accelerated intervals for levels one and two, but with that as a starting point it shouldn’t take much work. I’ll try to add support for it officially tonight. Thanks again!

1 Like

Hey there! 1st post here, but I’ve been messing around with these scripts for about a month now & loving it. Thanks for putting this together, looking forward to seeing what additional filters come along.

So when I installed this (experienced with installing userscripts / openframework) I initially thought that it wasn’t working correctly as ever since Self-Study was updated, I have used it almost exclusively from the dashboard, & don’t often navigate to the rad/kan/voc pages on wanikani.

So rather than checking to see if the filters were actually showing up in self-study item settings, I was checking main menu > scripts > settings to see if additional filters was showing up. After navigating to the kanji page on wanikani and checking I realized that for whatever reason this script settings (wk main menu) isn’t visible on the dashboard.

Not sure if this matters that much, but felt like it might just a slight oversight? Otherwise everything seems to work perfectly, w/ filters working for self-study on both dashboard & rad/kan/voc pages.

Thanks again for this.

It should show up in the menu regardless of page, as long as the menu is visible on that page. Can you maybe take a screenshot to show me what you mean?

Basically just meant that initially, i figured it would be faster to check if the script was working correctly to see if “Additional filters” was visible in settings (was on dashboard), rather than opening self study > settings > items.

Figured it would be visible like you said as long as menu is visible. Took me like 10 minutes to figure out it just wasn’t showing up on the dashboard, but the script itself was working fine.

Interesting. With the released version, I never verified that the menu item showed up if nothing on the homepage specifically need to load ItemData (the Open Framework module that contains the filters). I made some improvements yesterday from rfindley’s suggestions where I tested this thoroughly, so I’ll push those out tonight. Hopefully that will fix the issue you’re seeing too.

1 Like

Do you have any other scripts that use the Open Framework, and if so what pages do they run on?

I’ve updated the script to version 1.0.1, which should reduce unnecessary API calls. This version requires WaniKani Open Framework version 1.0.18 or higher. Let me know if anything seems to not be working correctly.

@Torere I couldn’t reproduce the error you described in the old version, so I can’t be sure the new version will fix your problem. Let me know if it keeps happening.

@zdennis The Time Until Review filter is available in version 1.1.0.

1 Like

I read your post in the APIv2 Thread.
Have you found a reliable way?

This one can probably be done now, I just have to figure out the specifics. I might not get to it for a few days.

I could build a prototype for you. Just send me which endpoint fields are necessary and I figure it out :slight_smile:

@seanblue

// Edited -> Check Below.

Here I made the next function work. Take it or parts of it how you like :slight_smile:

The option defines the maximum amount of days which can pass until they don’t show up in the quiz

This doesn’t do what I had in mind for the filter. I’m not seeing what isAtLeastMinimumDaysUntilReview has to do with recently failed reviews. But maybe I’m missing something…

I’m sorry but I don’t know what you have in mind @seanblue :hugs:
About the isAtLeastMinimumDaysUntilReview. Well I forgot to rename the function, the curse of copy and paste mixed with bedtime, sorry :disappointed:. I changed it a little bit. I hope its clear now :slight_smile:

// ==UserScript==
// @name          WaniKani Open Framework Additional Filters
// @namespace     https://www.wanikani.com
// @description   Additional filters for the WaniKani Open Framework
// @author        seanblue
// @version       1.1.0
// @include       https://www.wanikani.com/*
// @grant         none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
	'use strict';

var wkofMinimumVersion = '1.0.18';

if (!window.wkof) {
		alert('WaniKani Open Framework Additional Filters requires WaniKani Open Framework.\nYou will now be forwarded to installation instructions.');
		window.location.href = 'https://community.wanikani.com/t/instructions-installing-wanikani-open-framework/28549';
		return;
	}

if (!wkof.version || wkof.version.compare_to(wkofMinimumVersion) === 'older') {
		alert('WaniKani Open Framework Additional Filters requires at least version ' + wkofMinimumVersion + ' of WaniKani Open Framework.');
		return;
	}

var settingsDialog;
	var settingsScriptId = 'additionalFilters';
	var settingsTitle = 'Additional Filters';

var needToRegisterFilters = true;
	var settingsLoadedPromise = promise();

var filterNamePrefix = 'additionalFilters_';
	var recentLessonsFilterName = filterNamePrefix + 'recentLessons';
	var leechTrainingFilterName = filterNamePrefix + 'leechTraining';
	var timeUntilReviewFilterName = filterNamePrefix + 'timeUntilReview';
	var recentlyFailedFilterName = filterNamePrefix + 'recentlyFailed';

var supportedFilters = [recentLessonsFilterName, leechTrainingFilterName, timeUntilReviewFilterName, recentlyFailedFilterName];

var defaultSettings = {};
	defaultSettings[recentLessonsFilterName] = true;
	defaultSettings[leechTrainingFilterName] = true;
	defaultSettings[timeUntilReviewFilterName] = true;
	defaultSettings[recentlyFailedFilterName] = true;

var recentLessonsHoverTip = 'Only include lessons taken in the last X hours.';
	var leechesSummaryHoverTip = 'Only include leeches. Formula: incorrect / currentStreak^1.5.';
	var leechesHoverTip = leechesSummaryHoverTip + '\n * The higher the value, the fewer items will be included as leeches.\n * Setting the value to 1 will include items that have just been answered incorrectly for the first time.\n * Setting the value to 1.01 will exclude items that have just been answered incorrectly for the first time.';

var timeUntilReviewSummaryHoverTip = 'Only include items that have at least X% of their SRS interval remaining.';
	var timeUntilReviewHoverTip = timeUntilReviewSummaryHoverTip + '\nValid values are from 0 to 100. Examples:\n "75": At least 75% of an item\'s SRS interval must be remaining.';

var recentlyFailedSummaryHoverTip = 'Only include items that have recently Failed.';
	var recentlyFailedHoverTip = recentlyFailedSummaryHoverTip + '\n Only include Items which failed X days ago or less.';

var msToHoursDivisor = 3600000;
    var msToDaysDivisor = 86400000;

var nowForTimeUntilReview;
	var regularSrsIntervals = [0, 4, 8, 23, 47, 167, 335, 719, 2879];
	var acceleratedSrsIntervals = [0, 2, 4, 8, 23, 167, 335, 719, 2879];
	var acceleratedLevels = [1, 2];

wkof.include('Menu, Settings');

wkof.ready('Menu').then(installMenu);
	waitForItemDataRegistry().then(installSettings);

function promise(){var a,b,c=new Promise(function(d,e){a=d;b=e;});c.resolve=a;c.reject=b;return c;}

function waitForItemDataRegistry() {
		return wkof.wait_state('wkof.ItemData.registry', 'ready');
	}

function installMenu() {
		loadSettings().then(function() {
			addMenuItem();
		});
	}

function addMenuItem() {
		wkof.Menu.insert_script_link({
			script_id: settingsScriptId,
			submenu: 'Settings',
			title: settingsTitle,
			on_click: function() { settingsDialog.open(); }
		});
	}

function installSettings() {
		wkof.ItemData.pause_ready_event(true);

loadSettings().then(function() {
			wkof.ItemData.pause_ready_event(false);
		});
	}

function loadSettings(postLoadAction) {
		wkof.ready('Settings').then(function() {
			if (settingsDialog) {
				return;
			}

var settings = {};
			settings[recentLessonsFilterName] = { type: 'checkbox', label: 'Recent Lessons', hover_tip: recentLessonsHoverTip };
			settings[leechTrainingFilterName] = { type: 'checkbox', label: 'Leech Training', hover_tip: leechesSummaryHoverTip };
			settings[timeUntilReviewFilterName] = { type: 'checkbox', label: 'Time Until Review', hover_tip: timeUntilReviewSummaryHoverTip };
			settings[recentlyFailedFilterName] = { type: 'checkbox', label: 'Time Until Review', hover_tip: recentlyFailedSummaryHoverTip };

settingsDialog = new wkof.Settings({
				script_id: settingsScriptId,
				title: settingsTitle,
				on_save: saveSettings,
				settings: settings
			});

settingsDialog.load(defaultSettings).then(function() {
				updateFiltersWhenReady();
				settingsLoadedPromise.resolve();
			});
		});

return settingsLoadedPromise;
	}

function saveSettings(){
		settingsDialog.save().then(function() {
			updateFiltersWhenReady();
		});
	}

function updateFiltersWhenReady() {
		needToRegisterFilters = true;
		waitForItemDataRegistry().then(registerFilters);
	}

function registerFilters() {
		if (!needToRegisterFilters)
			return;

supportedFilters.forEach(function(filterName) {
			delete wkof.ItemData.registry.sources.wk_items.filters[filterName];
		});

if (wkof.settings[settingsScriptId][recentLessonsFilterName])
			registerRecentLessonsFilter();

if (wkof.settings[settingsScriptId][leechTrainingFilterName])
			registerLeechTrainingFilter();

if (wkof.settings[settingsScriptId][timeUntilReviewFilterName])
			registerTimeUntilReviewFilter();

if (wkof.settings[settingsScriptId][recentlyFailedFilterName])
			registerRecentlyFailedFilter();

needToRegisterFilters = false;
	}

// BEGIN Recent Lessons
	function registerRecentLessonsFilter() {
		wkof.ItemData.registry.sources.wk_items.filters[recentLessonsFilterName] = {
			type: 'number',
			label: 'Recent Lessons',
			default: 24,
			placeholder: '24',
			filter_func: recentLessonsFilter,
			set_options: function(options) { options.assignments = true; },
			hover_tip: recentLessonsHoverTip
		};
	}

function recentLessonsFilter(filterValue, item) {
		if (item.assignments === undefined)
			return false;

var startedAt = item.assignments.started_at;
		if (startedAt === null || startedAt === undefined)
			return false;

var startedAtDate = new Date(startedAt);
		var timeSinceStart = Date.now() - startedAtDate;

return (timeSinceStart / msToHoursDivisor) < filterValue;
	}
	// END Recent Lessons

// BEGIN Leeches
	function registerLeechTrainingFilter() {
		wkof.ItemData.registry.sources.wk_items.filters[leechTrainingFilterName] = {
			label: 'Leech Training',
			default: 1,
			placeholder: '1',
			filter_func: leechTrainingFilter,
			set_options: function(options) { options.review_statistics = true; },
			hover_tip: leechesHoverTip
		};
	}

function leechTrainingFilter(filterValue, item) {
		if (item.review_statistics === undefined)
			return false;

var reviewStats = item.review_statistics;
		var meaningScore = getLeechScore(reviewStats.meaning_incorrect, reviewStats.meaning_current_streak);
		var readingScore = getLeechScore(reviewStats.reading_incorrect, reviewStats.reading_current_streak);

return meaningScore >= filterValue || readingScore >= filterValue;
	}

function getLeechScore(incorrect, currentStreak) {
		return incorrect / Math.pow((currentStreak || 0.5), 1.5);
	}
	// END Leeches

// BEGIN Time Until Review
	function registerTimeUntilReviewFilter() {
		wkof.ItemData.registry.sources.wk_items.filters[timeUntilReviewFilterName] = {
			label: 'Time Until Review',
			default: 50,
			placeholder: '50',
			prepare: timeUntilReviewPrepare,
			filter_value_map: timeUntilReviewValueMap,
			filter_func: timeUntilReviewFilter,
			set_options: function(options) { options.assignments = true; },
			hover_tip: timeUntilReviewHoverTip
		};
	}

function timeUntilReviewPrepare() {
		// Only set "now" once so that all items use the same value when filtering.
		nowForTimeUntilReview = Date.now();
	}

function timeUntilReviewValueMap(percentage) {
		if (percentage < 0)
			return 0;

if (percentage > 100)
			return 100;

return percentage;
	}

function timeUntilReviewFilter(percentage, item) {
			return false;

var srsStage = item.assignments.srs_stage;
		if (srsStage === 0)
			return false;

if (srsStage === 9)
			return true;

var level = item.assignments.level;
		var reviewAvailableAt = item.assignments.available_at;
		return isAtLeastMinimumHoursUntilReview(srsStage, level, reviewAvailableAt, percentage);
	}

function isAtLeastMinimumHoursUntilReview(srsStage, level, reviewAvailableAt, percentage) {
		var hoursUntilReview = (new Date(reviewAvailableAt).getTime() - nowForTimeUntilReview) / msToHoursDivisor;

var srsInvervals = acceleratedLevels.includes(level) ? acceleratedSrsIntervals : regularSrsIntervals;
		var minimumHoursUntilReview =  srsInvervals[srsStage] * percentage / 100;

return minimumHoursUntilReview <= hoursUntilReview;
	}
	// END Time Until Review

// BEGIN Recently Failed
	function registerRecentlyFailedFilter() {
		wkof.ItemData.registry.sources.wk_items.filters[recentlyFailedFilterName] = {
			label: 'Recently Failed',
			default: 2,
			placeholder: '2',
			prepare: timeUntilReviewPrepare,
			filter_func: recentlyFailedFilter,
			set_options: function(options) { options.review_statistics = true; options.assignments = true; options.reviews = true; },
			hover_tip: recentlyFailedHoverTip
		};
	}

function recentlyFailedFilter(filterValue, item) {
			return false;

var level = item.assignments.level;
		var srsStage = item.assignments.srs_stage;
        var meaningStreak = item.review_statistics.meaning_current_streak;
        var readingStreak = item.review_statistics.reading_current_streak;
		var reviewAvailableAt = item.assignments.available_at;

if (meaningStreak > 1 && readingStreak > 1)
            return false;

if (srsStage === 0)
			return false;

if (srsStage === 9)
			return false;

var lastReview = getLastReviewDate(srsStage,level, reviewAvailableAt);
		var daysSinceLastReview = (nowForTimeUntilReview - lastReview.getTime()) / msToDaysDivisor;
		return daysSinceLastReview <= filterValue;
	}

function getLastReviewDate(srsStage,level, reviewAvailableAt) {
		var srsInvervals = acceleratedLevels.includes(level) ? acceleratedSrsIntervals : regularSrsIntervals;
		return new Date(new Date(reviewAvailableAt).getTime() - (srsInvervals[srsStage] * msToHoursDivisor));
	}

// END  Recently Failed
})();

I see. You’re using the time of the next review to estimate the time of the last review. There’s one big downside to this approach, which is that if you got a review wrong and then you got a later review right, this formula can’t know that. It’ll just see that the streak is now 2.

I’m considering using the reviews endpoint, which should be 100% accurate. But the tradeoff there is that it will be a lot slower because that data isn’t cached.

I’m debating making the “review time period to look at” configurable in my script’s settings, rather than being the input in Self Study. That way that data could be reused for other filters (though I have no other filters using review data in mind right now). And also I could then make other data the Self Study filter criteria, like the number of failures in that time period. So you could say, show all items that have two or more failures over the last X hours.

I’m still not set on that approach though, given the added complexity and performance concerns. Do you think that approach would be more or less valuable than the current streak approach?

You have a point there. My goal was only the last review.

I’m always for more options. So it would have more value.
But, maybe you should ask the community if its worth the effort, it looks more like something I would use in a statistic.

Your example: “which is that if you got a review wrong and then you got a later review right, this formula can’t know that”

If I get it right why would I want to get more exposure.
If its a leech, the leech filter would deal with it.

I don’t know enough to give an opinion to this.

That’s a good point. Maybe failed last review is sufficient.

If anyone else has an opinion on this, chime in in the next few days. I’m probably going to implement it this weekend.

If I were coding a general filter for 'Wrong Reviews in the last N days", I think I would:

• Record the maximum number N used by the filter within the last, say, 30 days, and use that as my benchmark for how much data to cache.
  • Upon first use, just fetch all of the data since N days ago, and record that start date with the cached data, along with the date the query was made.
  • Upon subsequent uses, load the cached data, and throw out any datapoints older than N days. Then do an update query of data since the last query, add it to the non-expired data, and save it back into cache (along with the updated start-time and query-time timestamps)

It sounds like more work than it really is, especially with wkof doing the bulk of the fetching and caching.