[UserScript] WaniKani Lightning Mode

Yes! I absolutely want it when it’s “slightly off”!

Thanks for helping me through this! I saw this settings section, but didn’t know you could actually modify it (or how)! Amazing! Thanks for creating all the scripts, they have made my life so much better.

1 Like

Hello! Sorry if this has already been answered, but the script doesn’t seem to be working for me anymore.

I am using it on Safari, I’ve tried reinstalling it with no luck. The funny thing is, I have the same setup on my desktop and it still seems to be working fine.

Is there any key I might’ve hit on accident to disable it or something? Would love to get it working again, I’m just using it in Firefox until I figure out whats wrong :disappointed_relieved:

Thanks!

1 Like

Just make sure the lightning icon is turned on in the upper-left of the reviews screen.
Other than that, are you using it with any other scripts on the reviews screen?

1 Like

…I guess I had hit the lightning icon on accident somehow, whoops.

Thank you for the help though :blush: I feel silly but glad I got it sorted out.

1 Like

Hello. I want to use this but when I try to install it, a message comes up saying ‘document is undefined’. What do I do?

1 Like

Do you have TamperMonkey installed? If not, do that first, then install this.

1 Like

I hadn’t done that. Thank you!

Hello again. Is there any way to set a delay on this script before it moves on to the next review? I am using it with LipSurf to do my reviews with my voice, but sometimes it moves so fast that it inputs the previous answer that I spoke in the next review, causing me to get it wrong.

If I understand you correctly, you could modify the code to wrap the ‘advance’ with a timer:

Before:

// Auto-advance.
if (advance) {
    var srs_notice = $('#question-type .srs').detach();
    // Simulate an <enter> on the submit button.
    var event = $.Event('keydown');
    event.keyCode = 13; event.which = 13; event.key = 'Enter';
    $('#answer-form button').trigger(event);
    setTimeout(function(){
        $('#question-type').append(srs_notice);
        setTimeout(function(){
            $('#question-type .srs').fadeOut(function(){this.remove();});
        },1500);
    },100);
} else {

After:

// Auto-advance.
if (advance) {
    setTimeout(function(){
        var srs_notice = $('#question-type .srs').detach();
        // Simulate an <enter> on the submit button.
        var event = $.Event('keydown');
        event.keyCode = 13; event.which = 13; event.key = 'Enter';
        $('#answer-form button').trigger(event);
        setTimeout(function(){
            $('#question-type').append(srs_notice);
            setTimeout(function(){
                $('#question-type .srs').fadeOut(function(){this.remove();});
            },1500);
        },100);
    },1000);
} else {

The ‘1000’ on the 2nd-to-last line delays for 1sec before submitting the answer.

This works well. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been using this script for a while and had no problems until today.
It seems to have stopped working for some reason, tried removing and reinstalling but no luck

Hi, I’ve added a small feature - when the shift key is held, auto-advance is prevented. Sometimes I find myself wanting to look at the item’s additional info, even when I know the meaning or reading, and I find this is a handy way to prevent the automatic progression.

Here’s the code:

Maybe you’d consider integrating this into your next update?

1 Like

I downloaded the script, but It remains in lightning mode, regardless of whether or not I want it to (I’ve tried reactivating and activating the little lightning bolt button, but it just stays in lightning mode regardless!)

Perhaps a feature where you can deactivate the feature for one answer by pressing a key may be useful as sometimes I want to review things in order to cement the definitions or mnemonics even if I know it.

1 Like

Nevermind this issue appears to have resolved itself :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rfindley
hey is this script affect or no to override ultimate??? So still I can ignore if I give a false answer???

Don’t know about Override Ultimate, but I’m using it with WaniKani Override and Mistake Delay. Doesn’t seem to cause any problems.

yes, I’m saying about wanikani override, do you think it’s useful? or the feature that we can see after a right review is more. I’m wondering which is better, but at high level when we have about 500+ review maybe this will work like a charm !!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@jays @karstux
The Double-Check script has Override + Lightning + Mistake Delay (all optional in the settings).

The override part is a little bit different than the Override script. You can hit Backspace to retype an answer (in case you made a typo), or mark an answer as right or wrong (in case of synonyms, or Wanikani’s typo forgiveness being too forgiving).

1 Like

I find the override not suit for vocab review, because vocab not count in level up speed, I think only use override in kanji and radical, do you think so ??? So we will have more vocab interval review, not less and fake interval

Thank you for all your amazing script work! I’m using Lightning mode through the Double Check script, but thought to post here because it’s lightning mode I have a question about. Is it possible to delay the Lightning mode a little for the readings so that the audio plays while the kanji are still on the screen?
If no I’d probably still prefer to have it on than not. I just wondered if it could be delayed a second at the most. I just find that I’m really focused on the audio right now and I have to look away when listening to it in case some other kanji comes up. I don’t want to do the readings and meanings together, I prefer to have them mixed up if possible.