[Userscript] WaniKani Lesson User Synonyms v2

Script: WaniKani Lesson User Synonyms 2
Adds User Synonyms to the lesson page.
Adds User Synonyms and Notes to unlearned item pages.

Quote from the original thread:

Because User Synonyms and Notes cannot be read from the WK server until lesson quiz completion anything input with this script is stored in local browser storage. This means of course that it only works if you use a single browser for WK. It is intended for use on items for which you will complete the lesson quiz relatively soon. For items in the next few levels anyway.
It should clean up after itself, but in case it loses track of anything data is set to auto-expire from local storage after 180-days of no viewing.

This script has originally been provided by @kobayashi, see the original thread here: https://community.wanikani.com/t/no-longer-working-wanikani-lesson-user-synonyms

The original script is not working anymore as of November 2017. I fixed those issues and created a copy of this script that I’ll try to maintain. Let me know if you run into any issues.

24 Likes

Thanks a lot. this is a much needed script. Also it looks likes that notes are being stored in local storage, can you please store it in some online db, like firebase, this would allow us to sync data between multiple devices. (◎⌒○⌒◎)

@temporaryuser381 hmm, to be honest that wasn’t really something that I was planning to get into. Is this a common use case? At least I am just using it to add synonyms during lessons which are done after a couple of minutes anyway, so there would be no need to sync this across different browsers.

I would be worried that if I stored the data in some DB and didn’t spend any time on monitoring or maintaining it that in the end that DB might be unstable and be causing more problems than it would solve.

2 Likes

Well I am also using it in lessons only, so syncing is not very important to me. :smiley:

1 Like

Is this the script that also allows me to override the meaning given to e.g. a radical from WK’s side?
I heard that you can do that. E.g. I want to name the “grave” radical “soil” (same name as its kanji counterpart). So using this script, will I be able to type in “soil” in a Review session and not be told I made a mistake?

Absolutely :slight_smile:

Adding synonym, which allows you to do exactly what you described, is a core functionality of WaniKani.

But for whatever reason, you can per default only add synonyms during reviews or on the item’s page, not during lessons. This script here makes it possible to add synonyms during lessons too.

Ahh! Perfect!
:slight_smile:

Wow, thank you so much for this. I’ve just started doing lessons again and was genuinely distraught when I found the old script not working. Such a vital part of WK for me, and I have no idea whatsoever why it’s not included as part of the standard product.

Has anyone seen any reason given for why it’s not part of regular Wanikani? Seems more like an oversight than anything deliberate.

The problem is with /user_synonym/create/. This doesn’t exist anymore. Thanks for this.

I’ve been going through with this problem a lot, but I feel like this script is jamming the lessons from time to time (pretty often). I’ve tried doing lessons without all the other scripts I’ve used, but the problem has remained. Now I tried to not use this one, and I managed to finish the lessons without the page getting jammed.

It’s not jamming in the traditional sense, I can move back and forth between the items I’ve already gone through with, but at some point my browser just refuses to let me go onto the next item or the reviews, if I’ve managed to go that far.

It could be a problem with the browser or something else as well, but I thought I’d just say :slight_smile: (I seem to have problems with a lot of scripts, which maybe is a sign to give up on Firefox) I’ll try to not use this for a while and see what happens in the long run.

Edit: Using Firefox and Violentmonkey.

Thanks for the script. I was just about to make a feature request elsewhere on the forum for this much-needed function. This’ll save me a lot of aggravation down the line :slight_smile:

Hi, did that problem persist? I’m a bit intimidated now to install the script…

I’ve been using the script for months without issue.

2 Likes

Same here.

It has worked for me perfectly for a long time now!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, I installed in now too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nothing happened when I installed this script. I installed Tempermonkey on chrome and it seemed to install in there okay but when I open WaniKani nothing happens. Am I just missing a small link to the interface or should it be really obvious?

This script lets you add synonyms during lessons so you have to be doing lessons to see it. You can already add synonyms during reviews or on individual radical/kanji/vocal pages without the script.

oh okay thanks, I’ll have to wait until I get to the kanji now to test this out.