[Userscript] WaniKani Katakana Madness

Is there any way to do something similar with FlamingDurtles?

Go to “settings” → “other settings” and at the bottom of the page you’ll find the options “Show on’yomi readings in Katakana” and “Require on’yomi readings in Katakana” which you can toggle.

1 Like

Hi,
How can I type dakuten properly? It keeps failing, potentially due to not being the proper dakuten character? It works fine without Katakana Madness.

Not sure what context is required, but hoping this helps: Brave, Tampermonkey, current version of Katakana Madness, on a MBP late 2013.

Thank you very much for this great script! Much appreciated!

im kinda confused what you are trying to do but just type “go” and it should work. You dont have to add the dakuten manually.

Uh - I’m just realising it myself. I’m using macos’ Hiragana keyboard layout, so that’s why the script can’t properly translate the key I guess.

You can just type with the normal English (or whatever you have as a default) keyboard, it will automatically convert to Hiragana for you.

Thanks, I’m aware. However, I want to practice typing as well as I don’t want to rely on an application feature. Other websites and programs do not automatically convert western keyboard layout typing into Kana.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great script. Definitely helps me quickly to sort out if WK lists 訓読み or 音読み reading for its Kanji. Thanks :+1:

You can convert your candidate into katakana with Control-K. Control-J converts back to hiragana.
Nevermind that doesn’t actually fix your problem. However Google’s Japanese IME let’s you swap the input method to katakana, which seems to work fine with this script. It uses Romanji input by default, since that’s how most natives type apparently, but can be changed to kana input.

Also, Google’s IME is having no problems getting dakuten onto the katakana even when I leave it set to Hiragana. :thinking: So that’s convenient.

Hi! I just started using this script and it seems to not be working with jukugo words. For 入力 it shows the hiragana にゅうりょく instead of katakana. Is there a way to fix this?

The script is only intended to effect kanji, not vocabulary.

I see. That’s unfortunate, but thank you for replying!

I think there’s a compatibility issue with the current version of WaniKani and this script as it is. I was doing my lessons, and WaniKani was marking absolutely everything wrong, despite me typing in exactly everything as is in the answer bank. I turned off this script (out of the 11 I always have running during my lessons), and everything was smooth sailing. I also did the opposite and turned off every script except for this one, and the issue persisted. I don’t believe this affects reviews, and I’m not an experienced coder, so I can’t be 100% certain that the problem necessarily lies within the script. I really love this script, so if anyone has a solution, I would greatly appreciate it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Thank you for identifying the script that was causing the issue! I was experiencing the same issue, but couldn’t figure out which one of the scripts was the source.

3 Likes

Script seems to have broken on the lessons page with the latest version of wanikani. Still seems to work for reviews though.

Is the author still active?

2 Likes

Came here to report this same issue! Every time you answer a question in a lesson the page goes back to the loading screen and the lessons start over.

Posting here just to get notified when a fix comes by :stuck_out_tongue: I like this script, would be a shame to not have it anymore.

1 Like

Same, I also encountered this issue recently and I like using this script, so hopefully there will be a fix eventually.

The good news is, as long as you add https://www.wanikani.com/lesson as an exclude in the script settings, you can still use it for reviews and individual kanji info pages.

5 Likes

Dafiretruck? IDK why I never looked closely at the options available in Tampermonkey’s dashboard. It seems that it is, much like a stricken down Ben Kenobi, far more powerful than I had possibly imagined.

I’ve been manually toggling multiple scripts off during lessons and on during reviews. Thanks for enlightening on this boomerism.

Technology

1 Like