[Userscript] WaniKani Katakana Madness

This is Katakana Madness.

Basically this script transforms all on’yomi readings to katakana, including dashboard, all the overview and infopages and even the lessons and reviews. From now on you need to answer your on’yomi readings in katakana. The input field automatically changes your input to katakana, so don’t worry just answer them like you always did.

Reviews:

Overview:

And every other page…

Download:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/26481-wanikani-katakana-madness

Updates:
v1.0.7 - On’yomi list updated for the new WaniKani update (2018-12-11)
v1.0.6 - Kanji pages: small fix (2017-10-11)
v1.0.5 - Dashboard: Add support for scripts that took too much time to load kanji data from api and therefore overwrote the changes of this script. e.g. (WaniKani Dashboard Progress Plus) (2017-04-04)
v1.0.4 - Review and Lesson: “WaniKani is looking for the onyomi reading” fix (2017-03-19)
v1.0.3 - Review and Lesson: Changed the name of some variables because other scripts used the same names which resulted in problems with them. e.g. (WK But No Cigar) (2017-02-26)
v1.0.2 - Added Settings-Search (2017-02-18)
v1.0.1 - Review and Lesson: ‘N’ can now be submitted without pressing it again to make it katakana. (2017-01-15)

Happy wanikaniing :smiley:

54 Likes

So, not to sound rude or ungrateful, but…

what’s the point of this? Technically all of this would be wrong, as katakana isn’t sued for these… 

Is it for learning katakana?

This is only for the on’yomi readings of kanjis, kun’yomi is still hiragana. 
On’yomi is often written in katakana, I don’t know why wanikani shows it in hiragana, maybe it is easier for beginners.
For example:
http://jisho.org/search/%E5%8D%97%20%23kanji

And yes it should help with learning katakana.

15 Likes
Luke-Filewalker said... This is only for the on'yomi readings of kanjis, kun'yomi is still hiragana. 
On'yomi is written in katakana, I don't know why wanikani shows it in hiragana, maybe it is easier for beginners.
For example:
http://jisho.org/search/%E5%8D%97%20%23kanji

And yes it should help with learning katakana.
 This may be an unwritten rule used by some dictionaries. My Japanese teacher used Katakana for all Furigana, no matter on or kun.
emin said...
Luke-Filewalker said...On'yomi is written in katakana
 This may be an unwritten rule used by some dictionaries. My Japanese teacher used Katakana for all Furigana, no matter on or kun.
 Yes I already changed it to 'often' ^^

Yes, this is basically a dictionary convention. It’s really just because Katakana is usually used just for “sounds” so an On’yomi by itself is generally not a word. But it’s not a rule or anything.

4 Likes
Syphus said... Yes, this is basically a dictionary convention. It's really just because Katakana is usually used just for "sounds" so an On'yomi by itself is generally not a word. But it's not a rule or anything.
 so、if translated literally〜

sample:
表 sounds ヒョウ、
表 is also word read おもて〜

is this interpret describe like that?

Technically yes, that’s how you’ll find it in a dictionary. But if you’re not a dictionary and you’re trying to tell someone how to read 表 than writing みょう is just fine.

Syphus said... Technically yes, that's how you'll find it in a dictionary. But if you're not a dictionary and you're trying to tell someone how to read 表 than writing みょう is just fine.
 im get it now、it's nice to know and thank you for another knowledge〜  yeah i have several  ancient  字典  and wonder why 音 always in katakana, at those time im just assume they taken from Chinese so they written as katakana〜

Good idea! Need to practice my katakana anyway.

1 Like

genius script!!! thank you!

I really liked how renshuu.org does this - helps with Katakana quite a bit for me. 

スクリプト アリガトウゴザイマシタ。:)

So conventional! It’s nice to be able to switch to Katakana for the Chinese readings just to get the feel of an actual kanji book. I find it really useful when I study kanji at school since we do learn Japanese and Chinese readings at the same time.

However, WaniKani approach is to learn the Chinese reading at first along with the kanji and later on to learn the Japanese reading along with an actual word that is written with the kanji alone. And that is good, too! For example, you first learn 木 (モク) with the kanji and after that you learn 木 (き, Tree) as a word; and that’s how you learn both readings with WaniKani.

Either way, maybe it’s important to make sure you know which reading are you learning because it helps to guess how to read compound words, names for people or places, &c. Because there’s not always a Japanese reading for every kanji and sometimes the Chinese reading is used for the kanji alone and everything is full of exceptions… For example, I recently review the kanji 本 (ホン) along withe words 本 (ほん, Book) and 日本 (にほん, Japan) but I didn’t get a word using the Japanese reading for this kanji which is もと and it’s pretty common in Japanese names such as 山本 (やまもと) or 吉本 (よしもと).

It’s a great idea to switch to Katana as the conventional writing for Chinese readings (when learning kanji) to make sure you know which one is each so you can use (and) guess the correct reading for words you’ll find on the wild. But if you prefer to keep the default Hiragana for Chinese readings at least make sure you read the first paragraph for the lesson because always indicates if it’s On’yomi or Kun’yomi.

1 Like

There is a script called “WK Custom Review Question (KunOn+)” which shows what type of reading is asked for in the review process. If you use my script I highly recommend to use it together.

Excellent! It works perfectly fine. Thank you.

I just wanted to check in here to say a deep-felt thank you! I was thinking about doing a similar script, because I can never get enough exposure to katakana.  Strange as it may be, I can remember so many Kanji by now, but I still struggle with reading a word written in katakana sometimes.

6 Likes

Some kanji readings do not show in katakana for me.

The script works for most characters but some, like 皆 are in hiragana.

Is this a known bug?

Impressioniste said... Some kanji readings do not show in katakana for me.

The script works for most characters but some, like 皆 are in hiragana.

Is this a known bug?

みな、みんな are the kun’yomi readings.

These are supposed to stay as Hiragana.

This script unfortunately doesn’t seem to work with the “Close but no cigar” script.
While both scripts are active, WK will not accept any answers.
Nothing happens when pressing enter or clicking the arrow. Affects vocabulary.

Awesome, thanks for the quick update!

2 Likes