[Userscript] Wanikani Item Inspector

Finally I will not post the fix right away. It bombs on Chrome.

1 Like

Version 1.7.2 is out. Download it at the link at the beginning of the top post.

This is fixing the bug reported by @Politeod and a few other ones I found in the process.

@Politeod please let me know how it works for you.

1 Like

Yup, it works even without the heatmap now. おç–Čă‚Œæ§˜ă§ă—ăŸă€‚Although I’m going to continue using the heatmap anyways from now on :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve updated to 1.7.2 but this bug is still there.
When you toggle the list of itens instead of the table (@ button) it always goes back to the first page, and It can’t be navigated using the arrows. And if you click on the same button while on the 2nd or 3rd page it always goes back to the first.

1 Like

This is the intended behavior. To move back and forth with the arrows I keep an history of the previous positions so I can backtrack. But the two modes don’t display the same number of items. This invalidates the history and I have to reset to the first page.

However I can see that this is annoying. If I can think of a better way to navigate I will implement it in a future version.

In icon mode it may be the case that the entire table fits into one screen because we can fit over a hundred icons in a screen. Check the numbers in the upper left corner to see if this is your case. When the table fits the screen there is nowhere for the arrows to navigate to. Clicking on them have no effect.

Once the position history is reset the old position is lost. This is why your old position is lost when you return to the former mode. This is a consequence of how navigation is designed. To improve on this I will need to find a better way to navigate. If I can think of something I will do it in a future version.

1 Like

You’re correct.
Thanks for the reply.
I’m loving this script. It’s really useful.

1 Like

i love it!

found this lil typ-o

maybe you sorted already.

It’s the first time ever, i’ve made an effort to look at leeches

Thanks @prouleau also we miss you in the POLLs

I arranged them like so:

I know exactly which ones i need to check and when

That flippin äșș情 lol
 i’m gonna terminate it!

1 Like

Thanks for reporting the typo. It will be fixed in the next version.

Now it is time for a brief wine post. We had a nice pinot noir from Oregon. Sorry no picture. Pinot noir is the brand grape of burgundy. All the great wines of burgundy are made out of pinot noir. It has a reputation to be difficult to grow outside of burgundy but nowadays more and more people are successful at it. The ones who do best are from Oregon.

Now some news about scripting. It causes problems with my Japanese. There is this.

Reviews

And there is also this.

kaniwani

I will take care of that when I am done scripting. For now getting better scripts has priority.

I have found that organizing Wanikani data into tables opens a lot of possibilities. I want ot build on this. My goal is to make sure people can make the most of their data. @saibaneko I am happy that you have found a way to organize the data to fit your needs. This is the spirit of Item Inspector. Whatever is your need, if these is a way Item Inspector will display the right data.

I have a backlog of things I want to do. For now I give priority to feedback. The export features has its fans. I received feedback on how to improve on it. This is delaying my own agenda. I care about feedback. I want people to make the most out of exports so I am implementing the improvements. I will return to my own plans afterwards.

Talking about feedback, @ekg how does the procedure to track the evolution of leeches using spreadsheet is working? Do you have tested it long enough to provide meaningful feedback?

I have read some code from @rfindley and @Kumirei The coding skills of these two are way above mine. It doesn’t show when you use the scripts but if you look under the hood at how things are done these two are masters. I still manage to do something people will enjoy using. This is the most important part. Also I arranged my code in such a way that is is very easy to include new features very fast without breaking anything. In that sense I am doing something right.

I will return to POLLIng when I am done scripting. But my backlog is quite substantial. It will take a while.

Edit: I thought I was in the POLL thread. I will repost.

6 Likes

Don’t look at the new heatmap’s code sweat_smile It’s a mess

3 Likes

I guess programmers are hard on themselves when assessing their own code.

3 Likes

The good ones are :wink:

4 Likes

Version 1.7.3 is out. Download it at the link at the beginning of the top post.

This is an emergency bugfix.

From now on audio mode will be automatically turned off every time you change the contents of the screen. It is also turned off when you use the save button of the settings. You must manually turn it on again when you want to play the audio.

The reason for this change is that audio mode downloads a large number of audio files to get ready to play the audio when you click. Just changing the display repeated times cause massive amounts of downloads. This is overly burdensome on Wanikani servers. This is also burdensome to your computer and it may slow down to a crawl. It is necessary to make sure audio mode is on only when you actually want to listen to audio.

2 Likes

Version 1.8.0 is out. Download it at the link at the beginning of the top post.

There are a lot of new features.

Improvements to the user interface.

Two new navigation buttons are introduced to jump to the beginning and to the end of a table.

buttons

There is now up to eight popup elements in a popup.

Breeze Dark support is improved. The font colors now adjust to the dark theme. The word cloud export icon is changed for a similar one that looks good under Breeze Dark.

Following up on a comment by @guiljb the navigation algorithm has been improved. Changing back and forth between table mode and icon list mode no longer resets the table to the beginning.

New Contents

Following up on feed back from @username21 more information is supported by Item Inspector. The following is being added:

• Reading by Type A list of readings with an indication of whether it is onyomi, kunyomi or nanori. (only for kanji)
  • Allow List The contents of the item allow list.
  • Block List The contents of the item block list.
  • Part of Speech The part of speech information applicable to a vocabulary item.
  • Visually Similar Kanji The kanjis that are visually similar to a kanji item according to vanilla Wanikani.
  • Components of Item The radicals that compose a kanji and the kanji that are used in a vocabulary item.
  • Items Where Used The kanji where a radical is used and the vocabulary items where a kanji is used.

Visually Similar Kanji, Components of Item and Items Where Used cause lists of items to appear in the popups in the form of lists of icons.

popup

Sometimes there are too many items to fit in the popup. The mention “And More” will appear when this is the case. You may obtain the full list of items by clicking the Make Table button at the bottom of the popup.

The Make Table button creates a temporary table with all the icons on the popup, including those that were omitted for lack of room. This table will have a name that begins with --Temp. When you display a table whose name doesn’t begin with --Temp all the --Temp tables will be automatically deleted. If you want to keep one such table you should go to the settings and change its name for something that doesn’t begin with --Temp.

The --Temp table name contains the item that was moused over when to popup was shown. You may refer to this information by looking at the table selection dropdown.

Dropdown

These tables are convenient to obtain more information on these items. By default the information about where the item stand in your studies is displayed in popups.

popup1

You may configure this information in the Default tab of your settings.

Defaults

You may know whether an item is a Visually Similar Kanji, a Component of Item or an Item Where Used by looking at item types.

• If the source item of the popup is a radical, the temporary table will hold only kanjis where the radical is used.
  • If the source item of the popup is a vocabulary item, the temporary table will hold only kanjis that are components.
  • If the source of the popup is a kanji, all radicals are components, all kanjis are visually similar kanjis and all vocabulary are items where the kanji is used.

Improvements to Exports

This is following up on comments by @s1212z about Kitsun and experiments by @ekg with Excel.

Options to configure the export format to match the capabilities of the software that will use the data are now provided. You must select a separator and determine whether you use quotes. Choosing horizontal tab and no quotes export nicely Wanikani data to most software. If this doesn’t work you must tinker with the settings of both software until you find a combination that works.

export1

You may also configure the appearance of Wanikani data in the csv file.

export2

• You may choose whether to include a title line for identifying the data.
  • You may choose to include a label for the data in each cell. This feature permits to import properly labeled data in Kitsun.
  • You may export the URL of the item page. If you choose to do so you may export it in the form of a spreadsheet formula that will turn it into a clickable link. Clicking the link will bring up the item page in your browser.
  • Sometimes some data is missing from Wanikani database. For example there is no statistics for reviews when an item is still locked. When this happens you may choose between leaving a cell empty or fill it in with the mention “Unavailable”.
  • You have the choice of whether or not to include hours and minutes with dates.

Download vs clipboard option

When using either the csv or the word cloud buttons a choice is now offered to either download a file or copy the data to the clipboard. Download is following up on a tip be @Kumirei

Download

Request for feedback

• Breeze Dark: I would like to hear from Breeze Dark users on whether the Breeze Dark support is adequate. @ghostofshikaji are you a Breeze Dark user?

• Kitsun: I would like to hear from @s1212z whether the improvements to export work good with Kitsun. Exports should be tabs with no quotes and labels should be included. Does all this work as intended?

• Excel: I would like to hear from @ekg and maybe @ghostofshikaji on whether the improvements work well with Excel. The export should be tab with no quotes. The result should be a clean import with using the spurious space separator to get rid of the quotes. I would also want to know whether exporting URL of Item Page with the URL Clickable in Spreadsheet option indeed results into a clickable link that opens the item page in the browser.

7 Likes

Sometimes the switching between the item inspector’s blocks doesn’t work. I have configured it to show my leeches in 3 columns of 15, but (unfortunately) there are more than 45 of them. So sometimes I scroll to the next block (46-90). I suspect that the error happens if I leave the display there when I finish my session.
In the next WK session, the leeches 46-90 are still displayed, but I can’t switch back to the first block. The switch forward works, but the switch back doesn’t. After changing the filter (e.g. to Failed from Last Review) and going back to Leeches, it works again.

EDIT: I just noticed that I didn’t have the newest version of the script, as I didn’t have the ‘navigate to beginning’ button. I’ll make some test to see whether the bug is still there after the update.

1 Like

I was able to reproduce the bug in version 1.7.3. I verified it is no longer there in version 1.8.0. There are major change to navigation in version 1.8.0. This fixed the bug.

2 Likes

For Kitsun import, it works great! I Thank you for putting in the time to update this :grinning:

I also enjoyed some of the additional column options (components of item, visual similar kanji, WK URL). Just a few comments:

For URL, would be great to have a hyperlink syntax if possible, I imagine this would help Anki users as well.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.03.12 AM

The download dropdown sometimes gets hidden by the heatmap script, for some reason the heatmap separates the list from the title bar (though not consistently on every browser load, may be related to which scripts enabled?). Also the download does not always ‘download’ (sometimes had to click several times, this was consistent on several computers, not sure if related).

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.24.16 AM

This works awesome, nice! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. I will add the HTML export in the next version.

This is the heatmap V2. It is deprecated. Reinstall heatmap to get V3 and the problem will go away.

5 Likes

Version 1.8.1 is out. Download it at the link at the beginning of the top post.

This version implements the HTML export format for Kitsun and Anki.

I have verified that it works with anki. @s1212z would you please verify that it works with Kitsun?

5 Likes

The item page URL looks correct from the script, but seems the URL in double quotes is ignored on import. Since this works correctly for Anki, I may ask @neicul how Kitsun is reading this (otherwise works as expected if I copy/paste as written into the card)

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 3.50.51 PM

Just to check, I enabled the URL clickable. I assume nothing else.

Forgot to mention, the titles will import as a card in itself which is expected. I’m sure you are aware, just a heads up to users just to delete this card when you are done importing.

A general question for anyone, what is a reasonable leech value threshold that people have used for extra practice for the Item Inspector? I set it to ‘1’ to play with the script but I haven’t given it much thought.

1 Like

This is standard html. The double quotes have to be included. This is a bug in Kitsun. There is nothing I can do about it.

You must have clicked the Include a Title Line option. Make sure to unclick this and there will be no titles I will put a note in the Kitsun and Anki import doc in the top post

1 is the default. Other commonly used values are 1.01 and 2. There is a whole section in the top post documenting how the leech value works. How to interpret the numbers is discussed there. You will know how to use the leech value if you read this.

Thanks for the feedback. You are helpful.

2 Likes