[Userscript] Wanikani Item Inspector

I know it’s cliche, but have you restarted your computer after installing the font? I had to do that to get the fonts to be accessible on my computer (Running Manjaro, with Brave/chromium browser).

1 Like

Have you tried closing and restarting your browser? I have noticed that when the font has just been installed sometimes the browser doesn’t notice them right away. Closing it and reopening it fixed this issue for me.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies people, but restarting my computer and my browser did not work. I have the feeling that the font detection function of the script may not be working for me.

1 Like

In this case the font should be properly installed. Have you verified that the font is working for Item Inspector? Here is how to verify this.

Your hunch may be right but I need a verification before I can move forward with this. Please do this test and report the result.

• Make sure you have a table with the Show Stroke Order Popups setting is checked. If it is unchecked, check it.

font1

• In this table move the mouse over the picture of an Item at the top of a popup. The stroke order popup will show up. Do you see the little numbers in the enlarged item?

font2

font3

• If you see these numbers then the font is properly working and your hunch is correct.

• But if you don’t see these little numbers then there is some problem with the font installation.

Edit: Do you want the stroke order popups? If you don’t want them you may disable them in all your tables and not care about the font. If the stroke order popups are disabled everywhere the message will go away and the default for new tables will not include stroke order popups.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I tried what you said and the stroke orders do not show up. However, I do believe I have the font installed, since it shows up in LibreOffice Writer. Here’s what it looks like:

My fonts manager also reports that the font is installed.

Now I am beginning to believe that this is a problem with Firefox not recognizing the font. Do you have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Oh, yes, I don’t particularly mind not being able to see the fonts. I would rather just prefer to not see the pop-up every time I launch wanikani.com. Thanks, I will try that, though it would be nice to satisfy my curiosity and find out what was causing the problem.

EDIT: Seems like I am getting the font-not-installed pop-up even with “Show stroke orders popup” checkbox unchecked.

1 Like

According to this site Firefox has a font cache. Clearing the cache seems to have resolved some font problems for these people. I don’t know if this would work for you. Clearing the cache may (will?) wipe out settings for all scripts.

Did you uncheck it in every table? If you forget one you will still have the message. This setting is on a per table basis.

Apparently Firefox has a setting about allowing (or not) sites to use their own font. How is your Firefox set-up? Cut and paste of the relevant part:

Type about:preferences#content in the address bar. Across from fonts and colors, press the Advanced button. On the bottom, turn on Allow Web Sites To Choose Their Own.

Sadly clearing the cache did not solve the font problem for me.

Thanks, I did make sure that every table had it unchecked this time, and now the font pop-up no longer appears, as desired.

Just tried that. Looks like that option is already enabled.

Screenshot_20201222_210643

The problem has been resolved for now, though, since the pop-up no longer appears. But this remains puzzling for me and I’d like to find out why it wasn’t working. I will try this on a fresh configuration of Firefox and I’ll report back here soon.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I am happy that the problem is resolved but I don’t like how it has been done. This is cutting off a feature that could come handy. It would be better if you could get the font working.

I don’t have an Ubuntu with Firefox to test things on. This limits my ability to help.

What does the Javascript console say? Do you have messages about fonts?

Update: The font works on Chromium on the same system. This does narrow down the problem to Firefox.

The fonts do not work even with all my add-ons (bar Tampermonkey) disabled.
This is what the console looks like after dismissing the fonts warning, although I don’t see any information there that could be useful.

1 Like

The console doesn’t seem to be of any use to me either.

I have found someone who claimed disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox solved their font problem. This is a 2 year old post so this information is probably outdated.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this did not work. :frowning:
I will try some other things tomorrow.

1 Like

Hey there, I’m back. Turns out that resetting my Firefox profile fixed the problem. Still perplexed as to what setting caused that, but hey, it works now. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

:partying_face: :partying_face: This is good news. Firefox is full of mysteries.

Edit: Maybe reinstating your old settings one by one will reveal who is the culprit.

I’m getting the “requires the stroke order font” on chrome.
I’ve already installed the font.
Does Chrome have any hidden feature to solve this like firefox?

I am using Chrome and don’t have any issue. Does the font work for you in Item Inspector? There is a test procedure at the link below. This test will tell us if there is an issue with Item Inspector or if it is something at your end.

Edit: I once had the message when the font was just installed. Restarting the browser fixed the problem. Did you try restarting the browser?

I have a questions about the “Previously learned” table. I have the “Recent Lessons” filter set to 30:

But only 20 elements are displayed:

How exactly are “Previously learned” items fetched? Thanks!

1 Like

The parameter of the Recent Lessons filter is within how many hours ago the lessons must have been taken to be considered “recent”. I suppose you have taken 20 lessons in the last 30 hours.

2 Likes

So it’s like “Failed Last Review”, got that! Should have read that hover hint :blush: Thanks!

1 Like