[Userscript] Wanikani Item Inspector

Update: The font works on Chromium on the same system. This does narrow down the problem to Firefox.

The fonts do not work even with all my add-ons (bar Tampermonkey) disabled.
This is what the console looks like after dismissing the fonts warning, although I don’t see any information there that could be useful.

1 Like

The console doesn’t seem to be of any use to me either.

I have found someone who claimed disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox solved their font problem. This is a 2 year old post so this information is probably outdated.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this did not work. :frowning:
I will try some other things tomorrow.

1 Like

Hey there, I’m back. Turns out that resetting my Firefox profile fixed the problem. Still perplexed as to what setting caused that, but hey, it works now. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

:partying_face: :partying_face: This is good news. Firefox is full of mysteries.

Edit: Maybe reinstating your old settings one by one will reveal who is the culprit.

I’m getting the “requires the stroke order font” on chrome.
I’ve already installed the font.
Does Chrome have any hidden feature to solve this like firefox?

I am using Chrome and don’t have any issue. Does the font work for you in Item Inspector? There is a test procedure at the link below. This test will tell us if there is an issue with Item Inspector or if it is something at your end.

Edit: I once had the message when the font was just installed. Restarting the browser fixed the problem. Did you try restarting the browser?

I have a questions about the “Previously learned” table. I have the “Recent Lessons” filter set to 30:

But only 20 elements are displayed:

How exactly are “Previously learned” items fetched? Thanks!

1 Like

The parameter of the Recent Lessons filter is within how many hours ago the lessons must have been taken to be considered “recent”. I suppose you have taken 20 lessons in the last 30 hours.

2 Likes

So it’s like “Failed Last Review”, got that! Should have read that hover hint :blush: Thanks!

1 Like

Version 1.15.0 is out - Please download it at the link in the top post.

There is now explicit support for exporting a clickable link to an item page in Kitsun cards.

Kitsun

This feature has not been tested in Kitsun yet. @s1212z could you please try it and report if a clickable link is created in Kitsun? In theory the link should open in a separate tab to avoid disrupting an on going review session.

This version support information from the Kanjidic2 file. This is the file used by jisho for its Kanji entries. In item inspector only the stroke count, readings and meaning information for Wanikani kanji is supported. You may select this data in your popups and in exports.

Kanjidic2

There is also support for a new item type: Traditional Radicals. This means you can now display traditional radicals items in your table. You must enable the data source in your filter tab to get them.

sources

The information available is

• Stroke Count
  • Meaning
  • Reading

Also most filters don’t apply to traditional radicals because they are written for WK items only. In particular filters like Level and SRS Level will never apply to traditional radicals because these items are not part of Wanikani. Filters that are applicable to traditional radicals are marked as such in the filter tab.

Tradrad

There is a new table that allows you to use search on all Wanikani Items as well as Traditional radicals.

NewTable

There are three new search filters than can search WK items as well as Traditional Radicals.

searchFilters

• Extensive search is a filter that searches items based on their characters, the readings and meanings. It expands on the Global search in that it can search Kanjidic2 readings and meanings as well as traditional radicals.

• Advanced Search is the swiss army of searches. For one thing it can search almost everywhere there is information to be searched.

• Characters, readings and meaning, including Wanikani, Kanjidic2 and Traditional radicals
    • Can specify whether to search onyomi, kunyomi or nanori reading information
    • Part of speech
    • Wanikani allow list and block list
    • Reading and meaning mnemonics and hints
    • Context sentences
    • Reading and meaning notes, as well as user synonyms
    • Keisei semantic-phonetic composition
    • Supports wild cards to return items where information is present or absent
    • and more
  • Related search for discovering items related to others. The following relationships are supported

• Items that are components of others
      • Radicals in kanji
      • Traditional radicals in kanji
      • Kanji in vocabulary
    • Items where components are used
      • Kanji using radicals
      • Kanji using traditional radicals
      • Vocabulary using kanji
    • Visually similar kanji
      • According to Wanikani
      • According to Lars Yencken
      • According to Niai
    • Keisei relationships
      • Phonetic compounds
      • Non-phonetic compounds
      • Related phonetic marks

Finally there is a number of new optional filters.

• Lars Yencken Visually Similar: This is a filter by @Kumirei that does what the name says.

• Joyo, JLPT, Frequency: This is a set of filters by @Kumirei that does what the name says.

• Black List: This is a filter by @rfindley similar to the existing Item List filter that is used to black list items.

• Kanjidic2/Traditional Radicals: This is a collection of filters using the new information.

• There is a pair of stroke count filters
    • There is a filter to explicitly list the wanted items
    • There is a filter to explicitly block named items.

There is some duplication in function between this last explicit list filter and @rfindley item list filter. Similarly there is duplication between this last explicit block filter and @rfindley blacklist filter. The difference is this:

• @rfindley filters are simple filters restricted to Wanikani items. They do the job simply and well.
  • My filters are more elaborate.
    • They allow listing traditional radicals. @rfindley filters don’t.
    • The editing boxes are larger and can be resized by dragging the handle on the bottom right side. This is more convenient when the item lists grow large.
    • It is possible to download the item lists to a file and upload it into the filter at a later time. This is convenient when you need to manage multiple lists of items.
2 Likes

Looks like Kitsun’s update accepts url links and I can confirm that. However, WII format won’t work for me.

From WII (using Mac/Numbers):
<a href="https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/%E5%B8%B8%E3%81%AB" target=" >voc 常に</a>

Needs something like:
<a href="https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/%E5%B8%B8%E3%81%AB">常に</a>

The target="_blank">voc is in all my csv. cells

1 Like

I need a clarification. You write:

<a href="https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/%E5%B8%B8%E3%81%AB" target=" >voc 常に</a>

There target="_blank" is truncated. Below you says

Which it is? Does it get truncated somewhere? I am confused.

Also I don’t understand why you mention ‘WII (using Mac/Numbers):’. Do you access Kitsun from a WII console? I am confused.

The target="_blank format is recommended by the maintainer of Kitsun. If you need HTML without it use the HTML for Anki format. This one doesn’t have target="_blank

WII = Wanikani Item Inspector :slightly_smiling_face: Should have put a ‘K’ in there :rofl:

I’m confused too. Either way, it doesn’t create a usable hyperlink and can confirm this is on the WKII side (not sure what was discussed though). But…

This worked for me, no issues! :+1:

1 Like

I am still confused by your answer. The issue is this part:

The two alternatives are very different to me because:

1. A truncated target="_blank"attribute is clearly broken. This is a problem.
  2. A non truncated target attribute is standard HTML to request the opening of the link in a new tab. This is the intended format.

Opening in a new tab has been recommended by @neicul because if a user click on a link during a review session and the page opens in the same tab the review session is prematurely terminated. Opening in a separate tab solves this problem.

I am glad that the Anki HTML works for you but this opens the link in the same tab. I need to debug it so the link opens in a new tab. I will appreciate if you help me debug this because I don’t have a Kitsun account.

I think is is important to find out whether the attribute is truncated and which step in the process does the truncation. Is it Item Inspector? Is it Mac/Numbers?

I have reread your previous post and it sounds like Mac/Numbers truncates the target attribute but the original csv is not truncated. Am I right?

Your previous post also sounds like the target attribute causes clickable links not to open at all, new tab or not. Am I right?

2 Likes

So I went back on the original ‘Kitsun’ HTML export, and re-tried a few different templates with new imports and this seems to works as expected (creating new tab opening). I was unable re-create the issues I had yesterday so this may have been on my end on where I was importing within the card (sorry for any confusion). And yes, the Anki version works but does not create a new tab as expect (I’m so used of WK’s review page that I right click everything now), sorry for any confusion. Nice work, this is such a great tool for many and thanks for refining for Kitsun users.

2 Likes

I am glad to hear this. :partying_face:

Thank you for your work. You are of a great help. :+1:

2 Likes

When exporting data, I can’t get a clear spreadsheet.
I am working with a Chromebook laptop so it converts the csv files in the “Office Editing for Docs, Sheets and Slides” extension and the result is all mixed up.

I tried everything in the settings, tab, no tab, semicolon, quotes, never quotes, and so on.

Can anyone help me get back on track? Thanks a lot!

I don’t have a Chromebook but I will do my best.

If I go to the page where they give the specification of the “Office Editing for Docs, Sheets and Slides” extension, it lists the supported file formats. Unfortunately csv is not in the list. You need to click the “read more” to see the supported formats. This looks bad for you.

As an alternative I suggest Google sheet. They list csv in the supported formats.

Thank you, I’ll study it, hoping it will help me solve the problem! :slight_smile:

1 Like