[Userscript] Tofugu Latest

I just posted version 0.3 with the following fixes:

• Clicking on the logo now takes you to the tofugu.com home page (requested by @polv)
  • It now displays better on smaller screen sizes (also requested by @polv)

Unfortunately, two other outstanding feature requests have not been implemented. I need to ponder if they are feasible and worth the effort of implementing.

• @TofuguSayaka pointed out that the script only retrieves new articles to the blog by date. In particular, this means it does not notify of updates to the Japanese Grammar section of the Tofugu site, which is extremely unfortunate. Unfortunately, the script just grabs the RSS feed provided by tofugu.com. Like many blog sites, they don’t currently update the feed for “static” pages, only for the blog section. I will reach out to Tofugu to see if they can update the RSS feed on major updates to the grammar section (or at least create a blog entry when they do so).

• Currently this has the RSS feed for tofugu hard coded (Tofugu). @DIO-Berry asked if it could be extended to support arbitrary blogs. Unfortunately, for security reasons all modern browsers prohibit cross-origin resource sharing. Basically, your browser won’t let a script provided by the wanikani.com domain access resources on a different domain unless it’s expressly allowed by the admins of the other domain. The fine folks at tofugu.com added such permission at my request, but other domain administrators are unlikely to add the required exceptions. There are workarounds involving local proxies and such, but they are far too much of a headache to implement.

Lastly, please note that there is a problem when using this script with the Breeze Dark user style: the visited state does not display correctly.

Default display

Display with Breeze Dark enabled (notice all articles display the same regardless of visited status)

Display with Pixel 5 screen resolution (note that article names are truncated to 15 characters)

3 Likes