[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

I have heard that Firefox has switched or is switching to opt-in for autoplaying audio (which is great), so that might be it. Check your permissions for the site

Screenshot I found from February (not mine)

Iā€™m having the audio issue too, but itā€™s only for about 90% of the items. Every once in a while, one will work fine. Iā€™m on Firefox and Iā€™ve allowed autoplay on Wanikani, but I think the audio files for this script are coming from somewhere else. Even after Wanikani updated the audio files, the self-study quiz continued to use the old audio files (which are also still being used on other sites, like jisho.org).

I just downloaded this app for Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit) and there is no audio. Did a console check and I receive this error.

:point_right: [v3.0.24] - Updated to support new pronunciation info in APIv2.

3 Likes

Great addon! Question, is there a hotkey to replay audio? I often times like to close my eyes and replay audio over and over and it would be super convenient if there was a keyboard hotkey like tab or backslash for that.

You can hover over most of the buttons to see the hotkeys.

Here, Iā€™m hovering over the speaker icon in the upper-left:

So, Ctrl-A will replay the audio.

Eventually, Iā€™d like it to rotate between voice actors each time you press Ctrl-A (assuming ā€œrotateā€ is selected in the settings). But that was more work than I had time for at the moment.

Awesome! Thank you!

Hey Robin, I just installed the Self-Study Quiz and love it, however I ran across a little issue regarding vocab/kanji within the same quiz that have the same readings:

ss_quiz%20dupe_readings

I wanted a way to check for which kanji was being used without getting the answers from the ā€˜helpā€™ button, so I dove into the script and added a ā€˜show kanjiā€™ button along with the appropriate functionality. It populates the same space as the help box, and toggling either ā€˜helpā€™ or ā€˜show_kanjiā€™ on will toggle the other off so they donā€™t overlap. It only runs if itā€™s for a reading or an audio item:

ss_quiz%20show_kanji_hover_crop

Would you be interested in adding it to the official version? If you have it on GitHub I could submit the additions as a pull request, or (if not) just send you the js file.

2 Likes

Sure! Put the source on pastebin and send me the link. Iā€™m traveling, though, so it may be a week or so before I have a chance to merge it.

Awesome! Hereā€™s the pastebin link. The part which adds the item.type as a class to dialog (lines 1136-7) can be ignored, though. I put those in to manipulate the .question contentsā€™ color within the external dark theme stylesheet Iā€™m currently using.

One more little thing, thereā€™s another small issue which is an overlap in audio when lightning mode is enabled, audio is set to play after correct answers, and the next question after a correct one is an audio type. I adjusted the conditions within the play_audio() function to keep if from playing on correct if the next item is an audio question (lines 1208 & 1211), but thatā€™s as far into understanding the audio system as Iā€™m confident in getting right now.

Last but certainly not least, thank you so much for these resources youā€™ve provided, theyā€™re really amazing and I love how clean and organized your code is. Itā€™s far above my current level, so Iā€™ve learned a lot just reading through them. Iā€™m excited to be able to contribute :slight_smile: Have fun on your travels!

Hey Iā€™m kind of new to this so sorry if I come off as noobish or I am missing something. I wanted to know if there was an option to self study only items under a certain percentage in wanikani. there are a handful of items (especially new ones) that I tend to do terribly at and would prefer working on them rather than items I already have a good grasp on.

Check out the leech filter from Additional Filters. Itā€™s not exactly what youā€™re asking for, but it should work. It also comes with a few other handy filter options for Self Study.

Thank you. Iā€™ll definitely check that out

Iā€™m sorry if this has been asked before or if I missed something obvious, but I searched around and couldnā€™t find it.

Iā€™m reviewing burned items, as Iā€™m coming back after a big hiatus, and Iā€™d like to ressurrect the items I get wrong. Is there a quick way to do this? Thanks :slight_smile:

That has been discussed, but noā€¦ itā€™s not implemented in the script. Itā€™s definitely a good idea, and I would gladly merge a change if someone has time to implement it.

1 Like

Not a problem, the script itself is amazing already, and it shows which ones you got wrong in the review, so I can ressurrect them manually at least. :slight_smile:

Is there any way, or different app to get something like this working on a mobile device - samsung/android?
I just installed it on my tablet and its super useful but would be great to be able to do some quick recal revision while out or at work with my phone

Yes! The Flaming Durtles app has this feature

1 Like

Oh thats great, just had a look. So similar to the self study quiz, can you do random or filtered revision without it affect your programmed srs on the main WK for items you are currently doing?

I am not familiar with its filters so I canā€™t comment on that, but I do know that it has a self study mode where no data is actually sent to the WK servers

1 Like