[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

Does the old functionality still exist and this is just an addition? I think it’s pretty neat, but I mainly see myself using the basic (old) functionality. Mostly because it’s pretty fast and doesn’t require me to type anything :slight_smile: I guess some stuff would stick better with “proper” reviews, but I like the more sloppy way for my “in between” studies :stuck_out_tongue:
But I can see it being very useful for burned items (where there won’t be any “proper” reviews coming up anymore) so it’s definetly cool stuff anyway x)

As both ways are meant to be used for additional study, I think it would be fine to include it in the main script and don’t have it in a seperate one.

I love this script, so I’ll add my two cents to your questions.

1. Similar to sumsum, I hope the test format will not replace the current functionality. Although these mock-up tests are neat, I really like the ability to have a quick recap. 
2. I actually like that you have to toggle the buttons above each section (radical/kanji/vocab), because I am usually only reviewing kanji or vocab and it annoyed me a bit with the previous one I had to scroll up each time to toggle them. 

Thanks for your hard work Rfindley :slight_smile:
P.S. I never realized your name is an anagram for friendly , but it suits you

From the description and the little gif, it just looks like an add on not a replacement for current functions. Don’t think we need to worry about that :stuck_out_tongue:

The spell check when typing a meaning in English seems very strict (to the letter I think).
Is there a way to adjust the tolerance?

siballah said... The spell check when typing a meaning in English seems very strict (to the letter I think).
Is there a way to adjust the tolerance?
 You must be in the wrong thread.  This script doesn't have the quiz feature yet, so I'm not sure what script you're using.  Maybe Ethan's, which has similar script name.

Sorry. Yeah I was using self study plus.

v2.0.0 - Add WK Review-style quiz. (2016-05-29)

1 Like

Haha it took me an oddly long time to figure out the “Pairing: blank blank” text was clickable and I could disable it. This really is quite a beautiful addition, no issues so far, thank you for making this.

Just wanted to thank you, I made a lot of use out of this today :slight_smile:

sirvorn said... Haha it took me an oddly long time to figure out the "Pairing: *blank blank*" text was clickable and I could disable it. This really is quite a beautiful addition, no issues so far, thank you for making this.
MrSenpai said... Just wanted to thank you, I made a lot of use out of this today :)
Glad you like it!  I'm getting a lot of use out of it myself :-).

Thank you so much for this !
I am in a difficult position with my reviews, and I was almost losing the will to continue. Your addon made me study my kanji, and I’m feeling much more enthusiastic about the whole thing. So thank you again ! Really !

Melode said... Thank you so much for this !
I am in a difficult position with my reviews, and I was almost losing the will to continue. Your addon made me study my kanji, and I'm feeling much more enthusiastic about the whole thing. So thank you again ! Really !
 Great!  I'm so glad it's helping with your motivation and enthusiasm!

Thank you so much! I feel that this gets rid of the last and hopefully final barrier I feel that I have with wanikani.
I feel my toolbox is now complete.

The quiz function won’t work for me, I checked that it’s v2.0.0 and I’m using Chrome.

Super minor bug. But I thought I’d just point it out.
On the quiz, the arrows and the items are not centered like your screen shots. They are off to the right side for some reason.
I’m on mac using chrome version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit).

Chausie said... The quiz function won't work for me, I checked that it's v2.0.0 and I'm using Chrome.
 What happens?  Pressing button just shows nothing?
What are your preset settings?  (i.e. the gear icon)  You have to have some items checked under then quiz section.  Also, some settings (like meaning-to-reading) don't apply to radicals, of course.
aragonsr said... Super minor bug. But I thought I'd just point it out.
On the quiz, the arrows and the items are not centered like your screen shots. They are off to the right side for some reason.
I'm on mac using chrome version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit).
Could you post a screen-shot?  Seeing the exact position might help me determine which CSS rule isn't working.  Also, could you confirm whether any other scripts are running?  That's not likely the cause, but you never know..
I'm also using the same version of Chrome (and tested under latest Firefox, too) 
rfindley said...
Chausie said... The quiz function won't work for me, I checked that it's v2.0.0 and I'm using Chrome.
 What happens?  Pressing button just shows nothing?
What are your preset settings?  (i.e. the gear icon)  You have to have some items checked under then quiz section.  Also, some settings (like meaning-to-reading) don't apply to radicals, of course.
 The quiz preset had everything but Meaning->Reading checked and I tried messing around with it on Radicals, Kanji and Vocab. I also restarted my browser just in case, I was also using the same version of Chrome 50.0.2661.102 but it updated and nothing happens when I press the quiz button. I'll keep trying though.

Information had Hide Reading and Hide Meaning checked.
Items had Remove Locked checked.
Chausie said... The quiz preset had everything but Meaning->Reading checked and I tried messing around with it on Radicals, Kanji and Vocab. I also restarted my browser just in case, I was also using the same version of Chrome 50.0.2661.102 but it updated and nothing happens when I press the quiz button. I'll keep trying though.

Information had Hide Reading and Hide Meaning checked.
Items had Remove Locked checked.
 Thanks for the info.  Could you check the javascript console for errors?  (press F12, then click the Console tab).

If none of that helps, would you consider doing a screen-share session?  I've got my own support server that I use for business clients, or we could use a 3rd party tool like webex.  Or if you'd rather not, that's fine too.  Anyway, you can email me if you want.

I’ve noticed that there’s an error with the get_api function in the code of the latest version. I don’t know if its an isolated case but I tested it on Chrome and Firefox and got the same error. I had to comment out a bunch of lines and hard code my api and the localstorage.set_item part to get the quiz function to work.

Is there something I’m missing?

Do you think you might be able to put the code on github so users in the community can submit fixes or improvements and even help with debugging?

It’s an excellent script though, so thanks.