[Unsupported] Leech training script

@hitechbunny One thing I’m noticing with increased frequency is that the “leeches” disk on the main pane is mostly black and doesn’t indicate my leeches number. I have a feeling that the script might be communicating back to your server and timing out. It is broken more than it works. Is there something that can be done to improve this?

The latest improvements look great… others should note the version number wasn’t rolled, so checking for updates won’t find anything - just re-install.

I hope you don’t mind, but I’m using your script as inspiration to learn about writing browser extensions. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

I have a bug with “信用”. I input しんよう and it will be changed to しん’よう. Which the script marks as wrong.

This always happens if I have a ん and another hiragana after.

Fixed.

Feel free!

That was a weird one. Fixed.

Worked around. It will now at least present cached lessons while it loads a new one.

Thanks, @hitechbunny. I wonder items I’ve learned in leech training actually affect the srs level of those items later (i.e. affect the time the items appear again in the future)?

They won’t be affected since scripts cannot change when an item will show up for a real review.

Thank you, @seanblue. Aw, your avatar is so かわいいい。

Hi !

I’ve installed Stylish with “Wanikani: Remove Useless Panels” recently and since then the Leech script does not work …

I’m finally working on excluding recently reviewed leeches, and leeches that are too close to their next review.

Here’s what I’m doing so far for exclusions:

• It’s been less than 24 hours since the last review.
  • It’s over half the time to the next review.

E.g.:

Skipping 前回 since it's too recent (22 hours < 24).
Skipping 通る since it's too recent (21 hours < 24).
Skipping 前 since it's too soon to the review (stage Guru I, hours away 97 < 168/2).
Skipping 土 since it's too soon to the review (stage Guru II, hours away 239 < 336/2).
Skipping 名字 since it's too recent (22 hours < 24).
Skipping 先回り since it's too recent (9 hours < 24).
Skipping 主人 since it's too soon to the review (stage Master, hours away 601 < 720/2).
Skipping 見える since it's too soon to the review (stage Guru II, hours away 239 < 336/2).
Skipping 王子 since it's too soon to the review (stage Guru II, hours away 171 < 336/2).
Skipping 火 since it's too soon to the review (stage Guru II, hours away 171 < 336/2).
Skipping 青年 since it's too recent (22 hours < 24).
Skipping 休止 since it's too soon to the review (stage Master, hours away 516 < 720/2).
Skipping 人気 since it's too soon to the review (stage Master, hours away 516 < 720/2).
Skipping 必ず since it's too recent (9 hours < 24).
Skipping 大いに since it's too soon to the review (stage Guru II, hours away 237 < 336/2).

Edit: I’ve deployed the changes.

I’ll update the OP with the details.

Interestingly, this means that you can’t review leeches that are Apprentice 3 or earlier. Maybe it doesn’t matter much, but I figured I’d mention it just in case.

Thanks for including this by the way. I’ve been holding off on trying the new version until this was implemented. I assume you meant you exclude it if it’s under half the time to the next review?

Correct on both counts. I figured that I would err on the side of caution with this feature. I’m open to making the logic whatever fits the majority need.

Folks:

Who wants to be able to review Apprentice I, II, and III leeches? If so, how soon after getting them wrong in a review do you want to be able to train on them?

I don’t mind either way, but if it’s a matter of parameter tweaking, should it be individually customizable?

We can make changes on the client-side script, if the constants are defined there. And you can make a settings menu :wink:

I’m not a believer in configuration options. Or rather there should almost never be any.

If not a configuration menu where you add/remove items, how about a setting where you can set some items to be reviewed again later. As it is now, you essentially can only review an item once before it shows up again in the SRS. Why not tagging certain leaches so they appear daily for a set period?

Edit: Also, really good idea in my opinion to restrict items to ones that have not been reviewed within past few hours. Makes sure that you aren’t just simply having another review right after the SRS review which doesn’t help as much. Not only that, but it also makes sure that you aren’t reviewing items that you are just learning which almost naturally have higher mistakes than correct guesses.

I think 12 hours would be better than 24.

If you do your stuff around the same time every day you get the leech training later and later until you wait 2 days because they appeared to late.

Only my opinion. What does everybody else think about that?

It doesn’t work for for me, unfortunately. It just marks the item as wrong even if what I entered is the first user synonym.

The problem with having a leach right after or even a few hours after you’ve had a review is that you’re brain does not have the time to put the memory aside. If it doesn’t and you just pull it out immediately, you won’t be putting it in your long term memory as efficiently. Your brain would just view it as a thing you need only for this time.

That being said leaches, by definition, require the individual to view them more often than other items. Having a day or so delay with repeating intervals more often than the standard WaniKani SRS would be really good at getting those items in your head. Which is why I’m not only in favor of the twenty four hour delay and three times in a row repeat, I think that items should be allowed to repeated even after you get them three times in a row. At least, in my opinion.

Then at least 20-22 hours

Oops! Okay. The synonyms are really in there now. They are also shown first in the event of a mistake so as to be friendly to foreign language folks. Thanks for the report, @Heiopei.

Thank you so much!
I’m sure this script will turn out to be very helpful for me
お疲れ様です

Thx

2 Likes