[Extension] WICS - WaniKani Integrated Custom SRS - Now with deck exports!

The problem is this line:

document.body.innerHTML += html;

Since you are changing the html code of the entire body, the browser parses the changed code, creates all elements anew, and replaces the old elements with the new ones. One possible way to fix this would be to replace this line with

let cardsPanel = document.createElement(`div`);
  cardsPanel.innerHTML = html;
  document.body.append(cardsPanel.children[0]);
2 Likes

Ah right, didn’t know that that’s an issue, will correct that, thanks a lot

2 Likes

v0.2.7 small update.
Only fixed the bug reported by @Sinyaven

v0.3.0 I haven’t added any features, but now the project is split up, converted into typescript, and uploaded to github (link in OP).

2 Likes

Straight away, 0.3.1 fixes a slight mistake I made

1 Like

Are you storing everything jStorage? As far as I know, the version of jStorage used by WaniKani is backed by sessionStorage, not localStorage, so all data will be lost if you do something like close the tab and open a new tab (only happens when opening a totally new tab using for example ctrl+t, not when reopening a tab with something like ctrl+shift+t). Also, storing items in jStorage greatly increases lag during lessons and reviews because every time a single key is updated, all jStorage keys and items are reprocessed. For example, 600 items in WaniKani’s normal review queue can add hundreds of milliseconds to submitting an answer during reviews.

Hmm, I’m only using jStorage, because it was convenient and already there as a prototype, but I’ll hurry up and move over to general local storage then as fast as possible. Thanks for the info

v0.3.2 released
Now parts of the “add vocab” screen automatically get filled out using jisho and kanjiapi. Meanings, readings, parts of speech using jisho and the kanji composition using kanjiapi. I want to also include sentences into this later, but I still need to find a good resource or alternatively I need to scrape jisho for them.

Jisho uses a site called Tatoeba for sentences, which has in inbuilt downloader for that kind of thing on this page. By the way, although you’ve probably already considered this, you’ll need to check for every conjugation of a word when searching for it on the database. If you don’t, you’ll probably only end up finding a small percentage of the sentences with it in it.

Here are two conjugators I found after a little bit of searching:
https://github.com/yamagoya/jconj (Pure Python)
https://github.com/anqafalak/japkatsuyou (A mix of languages, primarily C++)

1 Like

I did consider it, we’ll see, it’s not on the most important features list tbh, so I can think about it a bit.

This is exactly what I was missing. I really really appreaciate this ! this is a game changer for me.
I found Wanikani srs settings are more down my ally than what I used with anki, also having multiple reviews a day actually keeps me more motivated.
with anki I couldn’t see easily on mobile when there are new reviews coming up, and also didn’t get notifications.

For now, I would still like to keep anki and wani seperated (as i’m very new to wanikani still) which leads me to this question:

How can I mimic exactly wanikani srs settings\protocol to an anki deck settings?
I haven’t found close enough answers on google :\

P.s, something cool I just thought about:
The fact that new words go into “lesson” and not “review” is SUPER.
I was allways told to take the time and come up with example sentences of my own when learning new vocabulary: so now If I’m next to my pc , for new words in the “lesson” bin, I can take the time to write example sentences in the description.
and if I don’t have time or I’m on my moble - simply go to "review " for a quick session.

This way I can manage my time better, and avoid getting cards I’m not yet familiar enough with mixed up with more “mature cards”

1 Like

Hi , do you know maybe how to pull up something like that?

Ngl, I haven’t used anki for very long, so no clue. You are probably better off asking in a new thread.

I think you could do it by setting the steps for learning new cards to the wanikani numbers in the options group for your deck

Are you aware that you can’t start a new session if you don’t have any WK reviews?

Kumirei - yes, i’m not sure though what are the steps numbers in minutes that wanikani uses for new cards progression, and also degression :\

‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 2 בספט׳ 2021 ב-20:46 מאת ‪Kumirei via WaniKani Community‬‏ <‪wanikanicommunity@discoursemail.com‬‏>:‬

Holy cow am I glad i stumbled onto this thread, I was wondering what to do to learn the remaining common kanji after finishing WK… I don’t want to learn a new SRS

2 Likes

I don’t edit the queue, I replace jquery ajax with a function that extends the json request result when looking for the /review/queue endpoint. If you check “oh no”, that definitely adds a permanent review. The trick is in catching ajax before it gets used, so generally right before parsing the body.

1 Like

Srs steps:
0 → lesson
1 → 2: 4 hours
2 → 3: 8 hours
3 → 4: 23 hours
4 → 5: 47 hours
5 → 6: 1 week - 1 hour
6 → 7: 2 weeks - 1 hour
7 → 8: 1 month - 1 hour
8 → 9: 4 months - 1 hour

If you get both the meaning and the reading correct, you move up by one stage.
If you make mistakes, you need to divide the number of mistakes you’ve made by 2 and round down (9 mistakes → 4.5 → 4). This is how many steps you’ll go down, where a step is 1 srs stage before guru and 2 srs stages during and after guru.

out of curiosity, does this still work without a WK subscription? I’m planning to do polv’s (are they even still around?) Kanji beyond WK list with this but I’ll have to do it in anki if it doesn’t work without a subscription. I’m pretty sure KS has the same SRS materials as WK so I’m not too worried about reviewing the kanji already in the course.