[Userscript] "I don't know" button

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

After seeing a request for an I don’t know button I made such an User Script. It adds a “?” button next to the normal answer button on reviews (not lessons) and if pressed it automatically submits an incorrect answer.

The script can be installed from: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7576-wanikani-i-don-t-know-button

There is also a GitHub page for the script at https://github.com/nibarius/wk-wakaran

9 Likes

あ、すげえぇ!グッドジョブ!ありがとうね、先生!

3 Likes

My “I don’t know” button is a keyboard mash and enter. :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

Mine is A and enter…

14 Likes
SnowfireXV said... Mine is A and enter...
 That seems like it would be a lot kinder on the keyboard, but not as therapeutic. 
3 Likes

Hey. I was the one who requested this. 

I know I’m almost ten months late but thank you very much for this! Reading my original thread, I sounded like a fedora-tipping douche throughout it and didn’t expect anyone to take it. Little did I know a kind-hearted developer took it upon himself to do it.

Again, thank you. I do think it’s useful for me specifically, I will use it, and I am grateful for it.

3 Likes

My “I don’t know” is いどこ…or the closest I could come to “idk”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes
SnowfireXV said... Mine is A and enter...
 Try space and enter, is easier to type and you don't risk having a correct answer (if a kanji happens to have a reading of あ)

I remember that Viet got a little touchy because the skip/idk button that was introduced a year or two ago was not well received by a few vocal people (me included). It’s unnecessary imo, as it’s faster to type something than fiddle with the mouse and less likely to result in a mistaken ‘idk’ (which was the main issue with the old one), but as an addon, I can just ignore it. So good luck to you!

Yeah, I just do “asdf” -> Enter, F to look at definition and go on my merry (but slightly disgruntled because I forgot a word) way. Don’t really see the need for this but probably a fun little programming exercise anyway. :slight_smile:

EskimoJo said…It’s unnecessary imo, as it’s faster to type something than fiddle with the mouse and less likely to result in a mistaken ‘idk’ 

Thinking back on the request, it’s really not about the practicality of it. It’s more on how, psychologically , it felt strange and unnatural having to type a wrong response to an item you didn’t know, as opposed to having a button that has a purpose of telling the system that you didn’t know the answer to said item. I didn’t mean to type a wrong answer, all along I didn’t know the answer to begin with, so typing a wrong answer seemed like a strange thing to do instead of typing no answer at all.

It’s not necessary because the system was never designed to make that wrong answer/no answer distinction; if you don’t know the answer, then both ways it’s wrong to the system so yeah, no real difference either way. But mentally to myself I still think it’s worth it to have such a button because that way, I don’t have to consciously type a wrong answer to a question I had no answer to begin with. I’m hitting a button that was designed with the purpose of “I don’t know the answer to this” and that makes me feel a little better about it.

It’s all about how you think, I guess.

FlockOfFlames said… Try space and enter, is easier to type and you don’t risk having a correct answer (if a kanji happens to have a reading of あ)

This is actually not a bad way to do it either. I’m surprised it wasn’t suggested in the original thread.

2 Likes
OSad said... Hey. I was the one who requested this. 

I know I'm almost ten months late but thank you very much for this! Reading my original thread, I sounded like a fedora-tipping douche throughout it and didn't expect anyone to take it. Little did I know a kind-hearted developer took it upon himself to do it.

Again, thank you. I do think it's useful for me specifically, I will use it, and I am grateful for it.
 And I'm more than 4 months late reading your answer (to bad there isn't any notification feature in the forum). Glad you like it!

hey there,
i really like the idea of this button as I hate just putting in something wrong on (it feels like i’m trying to learn that wrong meaning or reading on purpose).
Unfortunately when i needed to use the button yesterday, the answer barr was giving me just a shake to retype what was written in there instead of accepting it as a “wrong answer”.
Is this a mistake or might it be interfering with some other script like “Double Check” or “Fast abridged wrong/multiple answer”?

It seems like WaniKani didn’t like the more exotic characters I used when inputing a wrong reading (meaning seems to work fine). I’ve pushed a new version of the script that should fix this problem.

3 Likes

Works fine now, thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there any possibility of getting this to work in extra study?

If you type just the letter n as an answer this makes a pretty good I don’t know button. No meaning and no reading are just a plain n

1 Like

I’m sorry, I haven’t used WaniKani in a couple of years now so I won’t be able to update this script to work if it doesn’t work any more. Maybe someone else can fork it and improve it?

A good workaround is to type n as the answer. This works for both the meaning and reading.

That’s nice! Usually when I don’t know I just type お or O but there are rare cases in which my answer could be correct so the script saves the need to think about this.