[Userscript] Dashboard Progress Plus

Is there any reason I lost the drop down option? 

I didn’t mess with any settings, it’s just default. I just checked for updates on tapermonkey and now it’s like this, which I do not like. 

At the top of the script, there’s a settings section:

// Enable/Disable compact display (0=original, 1=compact)

// localStorage.wkdpp_compact = 0;

You can remove the // from the 2nd line above to return it to full mode. If others also don’t like ‘compact’ as the default, I’ll make the original mode the default.

:slight_smile:

rfindley said... At the top of the script, there's a settings section:

// Enable/Disable compact display (0=original, 1=compact)

// localStorage.wkdpp_compact = 0;

You can remove the // from the 2nd line above to return it to full mode. If others also don’t like ‘compact’ as the default, I’ll make the original mode the default.

:slight_smile:

Ah! Okay, thanks, it’s fine now. I was a little confused over which brackets to delete. I feel the compact mode could interfere with the SRS, constantly exposing me to items I shouldn’t be seeing that often. I only ever drop it down to occasionally glance at the progress to see how many more are needed.

Adding on to that, a small feature suggestion: Do not show the actual kanji, just the circles. I don’t know if many people would find this useful, but I know I don’t benefit from seeing the kanji that I’m supposed to be SRSing. I just like seeing the 90% bars and the progress circles so that I know some kanji will display x days from now. It doesn’t matter to me which kanji, in fact it bothers me knowing which. But that’s just me! Just a suggestion, if doable. 

I changed it back to the original view too :slight_smile: I like to keep the kanji hidden most of the time too, due to the SRS. 

HigginsHere said... Adding on to that, a small feature suggestion: Do not show the actual kanji, just the circles. I don't know if many people would find this useful, but I know I don't benefit from seeing the kanji that I'm supposed to be SRSing. I just like seeing the 90% bars and the progress circles so that I know some kanji will display x days from now. It doesn't matter to me which kanji, in fact it bothers me knowing which. But that's just me! Just a suggestion, if doable. 
 Also someone who prefers the original view ;)

Also just a little curious does it really mess with the SRS so much to just see the kanji at a glance like that? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I once asked someone a long time ago that since you're seeing the kanji all the time while you're reading would that be messing with the SRS to which they told me yes. I basically went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, alright then.

Is that just something you're strict about with the kanji of your current level?
sirvorn said...
HigginsHere said... Adding on to that, a small feature suggestion: Do not show the actual kanji, just the circles. I don't know if many people would find this useful, but I know I don't benefit from seeing the kanji that I'm supposed to be SRSing. I just like seeing the 90% bars and the progress circles so that I know some kanji will display x days from now. It doesn't matter to me which kanji, in fact it bothers me knowing which. But that's just me! Just a suggestion, if doable. 
 Also someone who prefers the original view ;)

Also just a little curious does it really mess with the SRS so much to just see the kanji at a glance like that? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I once asked someone a long time ago that since you're seeing the kanji all the time while you're reading would that be messing with the SRS to which they told me yes. I basically went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, alright then.

Is that just something you're strict about with the kanji of your current level?
 I doubt it messes with it very much. I just don't see a reason to expose myself if I don't have to. So yes, I am strict about it. But if a kanji on my current level comes up naturally, it's no big deal--I can't help that. I can help seeing them on WK, though, so why wouldn't I? 

v1.2.5 - Returned ‘full view’ as default.

Just commenting on the discussion above…  For what it’s worth, I personally believe the ONLY time it’s bad to see your items is if you ONLY see them right before your reviews.  Otherwise, the more exposure the better.

rfindley said... v1.2.5 - Returned 'full view' as default.

Just commenting on the discussion above...  For what it's worth, I personally believe the ONLY time it's bad to see your items is if you ONLY see them right before your reviews.  Otherwise, the more exposure the better.
 I'll trust you as I've seen you say some pretty intelligent and logical stuff. And you've been doing this for a while. But the compact view could easily expose you to your items right before your reviews. I would prefer the compact view if like I suggested above there was an option to make the circles blank and just show the progress circles. 
HigginsHere said...

Just commenting on the discussion above...  For what it's worth, I personally believe the ONLY time it's bad to see your items is if you ONLY see them right before your reviews.  Otherwise, the more exposure the better.
 I'll trust you as I've seen you say some pretty intelligent and logical stuff. And you've been doing this for a while. But the compact view could easily expose you to your items right before your reviews. I would prefer the compact view if like I suggested above there was an option to make the circles blank and just show the progress circles. 
 That's easy enough to do, so maybe I'll add it tonight.
rfindley said...
HigginsHere said...

That's easy enough to do, so maybe I'll add it tonight.
 :D Excite! 

v1.2.6 - Added option for blank circles to prevent revealing item info.

So, if you like compact mode, but don’t want to reveal your item info (e.g. before a review), please remove the “//” before each of the following lines, which you’ll find in the [settings] section at the top of the script:

//   localStorage.wkdpp_popup_date_only = 1;
//   localStorage.wkdpp_blank_circles = 1;
//   localStorage.wkdpp_compact = 1;

It ends up looking something like this:

rfindley said... v1.2.6 - Added option for blank circles to prevent revealing item info.

So, if you like compact mode, but don't want to reveal your item info (e.g. before a review), please remove the "//" before each of the following lines, which you'll find in the [settings] section at the top of the script:

//   localStorage.wkdpp_popup_date_only = 1;
//   localStorage.wkdpp_blank_circles = 1;
//   localStorage.wkdpp_compact = 1;

It ends up looking something like this:

Thank you so much! This is amazing! You’re amazing! :smiley:

My dream dashboard is coming along nicely. 

Amazing work, thanks a lot for that. 

For some reasons, those brackets really bother me aesthetically, they don’t quite fit with the rest. Would it be difficult to have an option to make it look something like this for example:

Cheers, 
Julien

yoshindustry said... Amazing work, thanks a lot for that. 

For some reasons, those brackets really bother me aesthetically, they don't quite fit with the rest. Would it be difficult to have an option to make it look something like this for example:

Cheers, 
Julien

I definitely second this. It’s really not a big deal, but if it would be a quick addition, I think it would be worth it. :slight_smile:

2015-12-24  v1.2.7 - Improved aesthetics.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I had originally considered something like what @yoshindustry drew, but it would require HTML changes, which I was trying to avoid to prevent conflicts with what WaniKani’s own javascript code is doing.  So, I needed a CSS-only method.

I was never completely satisfied with the brackets, but was short on ideas at the time.  You gave me incentive to revisit the aesthetics.  Is this an improvement?

Awesome!! Love the new style!:smiley:

Excellent, thanks for looking into it, I much prefer the new look compared to the bracket. Cheers, Julien

It looks lovely. Installing it now thanks to mrgameraidz’ suggestion and link pointing me here. :smiley: