[Userscript] Community Mnemonics (v0.9.7.8)

Samuel-H said...
 in case someone tries to sabotage the spreadsheet (and why would someone do this anyway).
 Why do we have  a word for people like them? Trolls?
They think its funny :/
zdennis said...
Samuel-H said...
 in case someone tries to sabotage the spreadsheet (and why would someone do this anyway).
 They would have to have something against the community itself because a lot of people would lose their useful mnemonics if that were to happen after a while when the spreadsheet gets large. So far I have been able to go back to older versions whenever mnemonics were overwritten (hopefully this is fixed in the new version but it's hard to tell when I can't replicate the bug myself and don't know who has updated and who hasn't) so hopefully I'll be able to do that if this were to happen.

Issue solved.

Samuel-H said...
zdennis said...
Samuel-H said...
 They would have to have something against the community itself because a lot of people would lose their useful mnemonics if that were to happen after a while when the spreadsheet gets large. So far I have been able to go back to older versions whenever mnemonics were overwritten (hopefully this is fixed in the new version but it's hard to tell when I can't replicate the bug myself and don't know who has updated and who hasn't) so hopefully I'll be able to do that if this were to happen.
No matter what, there's no way you can say for sure that every person who uses your stuff is going to act ethically. The same argument can be used for any other type of security system. "Why do we need to hash user passwords? You'd have to be a jerk to try and hack our password database!" And you keep hearing in the news about different sites being hacked and user passwords being stolen. I can guarantee there's someone out there. A good way to treat stuff like this is to design it as if everyone's out to get you.

http://stackoverflow.com/a/2794089

Izana said...Hey, thank you for this awesome script!

One issue I've found. I'm not sure if it's a combination of this script with others I'm running or just this one alone, but some of the images on the page are replaces with ロ boxes. The "^" (reversed) next to levels, radicals, kanji, etc. on the header menu, the sound icons next to readings on vocab pages, all images are replaces in this reply box except for Bold, Italic and Underline selections. The circled check mark in the "BURNED ITEMS IN THE LAST 30 DAYS" box is replaced with ロ as well. 

Enough rambling I guess. I'm experiencing this in both Firefox and Chrome, on both Windows and Mac. 

Thanks again for your work!
 You're mentioning pages that this script doesn't even run on (eg. any forum page, the dashboard) so I doubt that your issue has anything to do with the script.

sheodox said...No matter what, there's no way you can say for sure that every person who uses your stuff is going to act ethically. The same argument can be used for any other type of security system. "Why do we need to hash user passwords? You'd have to be a jerk to try and hack our password database!" And you keep hearing in the news about different sites being hacked and user passwords being stolen. I can guarantee there's someone out there. A good way to treat stuff like this is to design it as if everyone's out to get you.

Would you happen to have Skype? I could use as much of your advice as I can get.
Samuel-H said...
sheodox said...No matter what, there's no way you can say for sure that every person who uses your stuff is going to act ethically. The same argument can be used for any other type of security system. "Why do we need to hash user passwords? You'd have to be a jerk to try and hack our password database!" And you keep hearing in the news about different sites being hacked and user passwords being stolen. I can guarantee there's someone out there. A good way to treat stuff like this is to design it as if everyone's out to get you.

Would you happen to have Skype? I could use as much of your advice as I can get.
 I do, but I don't use it much. Username is dbs727.

Very cool.  Just FYI, 可愛いそう does not mean “looks cute”, it’s not even a word.  But if it helps you remember it, that’s great.

Check out this blog post on it.

pushindawood said... Very cool.  Just FYI, 可愛いそう does not mean "looks cute", it's not even a word.  But if it helps you remember it, that's great.

Check out this blog post on it.
 I know it's not a single word but it's two words together that, when combined, sound like 可哀想 and, far as I know, can translate to "seemingly cute" (if I'm wrong, please inform me). You brought up a good point though, I should put both of those words in separate reading spans to make it clearer that it's not a single word.
Samuel-H said...
 I know it's not a single word but it's two words together that, when combined, sound like 可哀想 and, far as I know, can translate to "seemingly cute" (if I'm wrong, please inform me). You brought up a good point though, I should put both of those words in separate vocabulary spans.
Quote from the blog post I linked:

"She looks cute." は「彼女はかわいいです。」となります。かわいい人が目の前にいれば、「かわいいです」と断言します。くれぐれも「彼女はかわいそうだね。」と言わないようにしてください。これは間違いだけでなく、違う意味になってしまうからです。「かわいそうな」という形容詞の意味は "pitiful" で、「彼女はかわいそうだね。」は "I feel pity for her." です。 
pushindawood said...
Samuel-H said...
 I know it's not a single word but it's two words together that, when combined, sound like 可哀想 and, far as I know, can translate to "seemingly cute" (if I'm wrong, please inform me). You brought up a good point though, I should put both of those words in separate vocabulary spans.
Quote from the blog post I linked:

"She looks cute." は「彼女はかわいいです。」となります。かわいい人が目の前にいれば、「かわいいです」と断言します。くれぐれも「彼女はかわいそうだね。」と言わないようにしてください。これは間違いだけでなく、違う意味になってしまうからです。「かわいそうな」という形容詞の意味は "pitiful" で、「彼女はかわいそうだね。」は "I feel pity for her." です。 
 In that case, I should probably just remove the mnemonic because it encourages bad grammar. Thank you for this observation.

I keep getting the this error when I click to start a review session:

• The following error occurred while trying to access the database: “ReferenceError: Tabletop is not defined”. If the problem persists, make sure your internet connection is working properly.
My internet connection is perfectly fine. If I keep forcing a reload of the session page, the error keeps coming up almost every time. However, after about 10 times, it seems to dissipate for a while. I tried to look at the code to see if I could figure out a reason why it’s not defined, but I’m not that skilled with programming. The only thing I could think of is that maybe it’s not letting me access the server at https://rawgit.com/jsoma/tabletop/master/src/tabletop.js, but when I try to visit that website it shows up fine.

I figured I’d post this here so perhaps it can get attention, as I may not be the only one experiencing this.

Inserio said... I keep getting the this error when I click to start a review session:
  • The following error occurred while trying to access the database: "ReferenceError: Tabletop is not defined". If the problem persists, make sure your internet connection is working properly.
My internet connection is perfectly fine. If I keep forcing a reload of the session page, the error keeps coming up almost every time. However, after about 10 times, it seems to dissipate for a while. I tried to look at the code to see if I could figure out a reason why it's not defined, but I'm not that skilled with programming. The only thing I could think of is that maybe it's not letting me access the server at https://rawgit.com/jsoma/tabletop/master/src/tabletop.js, but when I try to visit that website it shows up fine.

I figured I'd post this here so perhaps it can get attention, as I may not be the only one experiencing this.

This happens to me as well but usually only when I reload a page before it has a chance to load or if my internet is having problems. Actually, if you're in a review, if you go to the next item it should load properly because everything else will be loaded. If you get that error on an item page then you need to refresh. If I'm wrong then tell me and I'll see if I can fix it.

I added some of my mnemonics. They aren’t very good, but I figured it might help get the ball rolling.

Thanks for creating this wonderful addon OP!

Kaldim said... I added some of my mnemonics. They aren't very good, but I figured it might help get the ball rolling.

Thanks for creating this wonderful addon OP!
 Any contribution is appreciated and I'm sure each will get used by someone eventually.
Samuel-H said... This happens to me as well but usually only when I reload a page before it has a chance to load or if my internet is having problems. Actually, if you're in a review, if you go to the next item it should load properly because everything else will be loaded. If you get that error on an item page then you need to refresh. If I'm wrong then tell me and I'll see if I can fix it.
 Unfortunately, it was happening every time I loaded up the reviews or lessons queue. As in, the first time I tried to load the queue. I cleared both my cookies and cache without any effect. However, turning off a bunch of the other userscripts seems to have worked for now.
Inserio said...
Samuel-H said... This happens to me as well but usually only when I reload a page before it has a chance to load or if my internet is having problems. Actually, if you're in a review, if you go to the next item it should load properly because everything else will be loaded. If you get that error on an item page then you need to refresh. If I'm wrong then tell me and I'll see if I can fix it.
 Unfortunately, it was happening every time I loaded up the reviews or lessons queue. As in, the first time I tried to load the queue. I cleared both my cookies and cache without any effect. However, turning off a bunch of the other userscripts seems to have worked for now.
It's possible that one of those scripts was somehow overwriting the link to tabletop.js that my script inserts in the head of the page. That would explain why you get it every time but it could be something else for all I know.

This is brilliant! Thank you. AI & Heiwa!

astraea said... This is brilliant! Thank you. AI & Heiwa!
 No problem.

Also, I have noticed that duplicates have still been appearing in the sheet since the new update and, with the update notification, I assume most people have updated. If you are reading this and have any version below 0.9.2.5, please update so I can confirm whether or not the fix works (and it's difficult to do so as it is since I can't seem to make it happen for myself).

Keeping a close eye on this! Fantastic work - thanks so much!

Putyouinmyoven said... Keeping a close eye on this! Fantastic work - thanks so much!
 No problem, I'm glad you like it.

For anyone that would like to help me figure out this duplicates issue:

If you use Chrome (I don't think it works in Firefox because it won't recognize the variables from the script), when you're on a page that uses Community Mnemonics, go into the developer tools (right click -> inspect element) and go to the console. At the bottom of the console where it allows user input, paste the following and press enter:

CMTableItems = []; for (var i = 0; i < CMTableData.length; i++) CMTableItems[i] = CMTableData[i].Item; $.inArray(CMType + CMChar, CMTableItems) + 2 + (($.inArray(CMType + CMChar, CMTableItems) < 0) ? CMTableData.length + 1 : 0) == CMIndex

If it returns "true", the item is not a duplicate. If it returns "false", try waiting about 5-10 seconds and then enter the same code again (or, if you are in a review that has been reordered by another script and haven't answered it yet, submit an answer and try entering it in again). If it still returns false after that, the item is a duplicate and I need you to post the following in this thread: the page you were on, the browser you were using, if you got any errors during the session or upon loading the page, and any other information you can think of that you think might make the script behave differently than normal. Keep in mind that one test does not mean that the duplicate bug doesn't happen to you because I always see a mixture of unique items and duplicates with mostly unique items so the more you can test this, the better.