[Outdated] [Userscript] Burn Reviews (ver 2.2.5)

It appears that the old version of Burn Reviews is no longer being maintained and no longer works so I am now taking over maintenance of it.

This script adds a section to the WaniKani dashboard that gives random reviews of previously burned items. If you get a review incorrect, it will ask you if you wish to resurrect it.

Like other userscripts you will need Greasemonkey (Firefox) or Tampermonkey (Chrome) to use this script.

This is what it looks like
Cropped screenshot

Language can be set to English or Japanese

Now works with the Mobile layout too!

Get the script on Greasy Fork.

If you find any bugs or have a feature request, open an issue on the github

Known issues:

• Resurrect button doesnā€™t work. This is because of a change in Wanikaniā€™s resurrect URLs that uses new item IDs that are currently only present in version 2 of the API. Given that API v2 is still in Alpha, and is subject to change, this issue will likely persist until the new API reaches full stable release, as it is not worth the rewrite until then.

Update Log:

v 2.2.5

• Fix for bug where english answers ending in ā€˜nā€™ werenā€™t accepted.

v 2.2.4

• Fixes for changes of URLs that the script relied on
    • WanaKana now included using an @require directive (thanks @rfindley)
    • Fix for url and page layout change when automatically fetching the API key
  • Trailing n in responses is replaced with 悓 (thanks @Subversity)
  • Fix for capturing Enter key when using WK search field(again thanks @Subversity)

v 2.2.1

• Fix for new bug that crept in

v 2.2.0

• Massive amounts of refactoring, like wow.
  • Automatically fetch API key instead of requiring manual user input
  • Actually works with wanikaniā€™s fluid layout now
  • Small styling change to make the buttons more even on both sides.
  • Burn reviews works on not just /dashboard
  • Fix forĀ macOS scaling issue.

16 Likes

edit:Ā (apologies for the double post, I put this on the other thread first, but this is where it belongs)

Hey jonnydark thank you for getting this script running again. Iā€™m encountering a problem whereby kun-yomi readings donā€™t seem to exist and are therefore marked wrong. Check out the screenshot:

I typed ā€œć•ć¾ā€ for ꧘Ā and it came up as incorrect. Same with č²· when I typed ā€ć‹".

Iā€™m using Safari on a MacBook os x el cap.

Definitely going to give it a try since I like the idea of it and the old one didnā€™t work anymore when I found it.

Edit:
I just tried it out, entered my API key and it doesnā€™t seem to work, it just shows me the same as the old script.
I did try it with all other scripts disabled (and there shouldnā€™t be anything else interfering), but no luck.

@chrispthompson Hey! ThanksĀ for reporting this. Your bug has been filed here:Ā https://github.com/jonnydark/wanikani-burn/issues/1
So far Iā€™ve only managed to fix the issues that were superficially stopping it from working, so it doesnā€™t surprise me that the code has rotted in a few places.

@
RayderBlitz Thanks for letting me knowĀ Iā€™m going to need a bit more information before I can fix that issue, because naturally I canā€™t reproduce it.Ā For the sake of my own sanity, can you file a bug hereĀ https://github.com/jonnydark/wanikani-burn/issues
If you can provide a screenshot of the problem as well as what browser youā€™re using. Also if you could tell me if there are any errors in the console (press F12), thatā€™d be very helpful.

Oh right, my bad.
For some reason I managed to not even think of thatā€¦

Well, now I created a new issue with your requested information and some bits I thought might be helpful.

@RayderBlitz Thanks, I just saw that. Iā€™ll look in to it when I can :slight_smile:

@chrispthompson That issue is now fixed, the API had changed since the script was originally written. If you update to the most recent version (2.0.1) the kunyomi readings should now be correct.

jonnydark said... @RayderBlitz Thanks, I just saw that. I'll look in to it when I can :)

@chrispthompson That issue is now fixed, the API had changed since the script was originally written. If you update to the most recent version (2.0.1) the kunyomi readings should now be correct.
awesome! Thanks again for bringing this script back to life! 
jonnydark said... @RayderBlitz Thanks, I just saw that. I'll look in to it when I can :)
Thank you.
I look forward to seeing how much of the burns i actually remember now, when the script works.
No hurry though, just work on it whenever you're bored or smth. c(Ā°_:_Ā°)恤

Also, just in case you plan to also add features (and if I didn't just miss that one), an option to prioritize older burns might be pretty neat.
I'm only throwing it out there, no pressure - already happy that someone decided to pick the script up at all.

Probably a stupid question, but should I uninstall the other Burn Reviews and then install this one or does this one overlay/in addition to the previous script (is that what yā€™all mean by ā€˜forkā€™?)

~frankiebluej

frankiebluej said... Probably a stupid question, but should I uninstall the other Burn Reviews and then install this one or does this one overlay/in addition to the previous script (is that what y'all mean by 'fork'?)

~frankiebluej
 Yes you should uninstall the old one. The old one has bugs and is no longer being maintained so remove it and install the new if you want the script to keep working.

As for what a fork means - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)
jonnydark said...
frankiebluej said... Probably a stupid question, but should I uninstall the other Burn Reviews and then install this one or does this one overlay/in addition to the previous script (is that what y'all mean by 'fork'?)

~frankiebluej
 Yes you should uninstall the old one. The old one has bugs and is no longer being maintained so remove it and install the new if you want the script to keep working.

As for what a fork means - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)
 Thank you for you response, it was very helpful, appreciate you taking the time to do so. ~frankiebluej

Fantastic. Havenā€™t tried it yet (still neck-deep in regular reviews) but I am glad someone finally got around to fixing this essential piece of wanikani.

Thank you.

May your mushrooms always be sauteed and your onions always grilled.

Sorry this update took so long, there was a shitton of refactoring to do. The codebase should now be more sane such that if I (like the previous maintainer) lose interest in maintaining this script at some point in the future, then it can be picked up easily by someone else.Ā 

Naturally as with any update there will probably be bugs so if you find them, please raise an issue over at the github:Ā 
https://github.com/jonnydark/wanikani-burn/issues

Wow, this is the first time ever this script has worked for me. Have been interested by the idea since I started in November,

Just wanted to say thank you for making the effort, itā€™s very much appreciated!

FYI, for anyone wanting to get this script working again, add the following line to the header of the script, right before the @grant line:

// @require https://greasyfork.org/scripts/19781-wanakana/code/WanaKana.js?version=126349

And around line 912 or 913, remove the following line:

importWanaKana();

I played around with this for a moment, and if you answer an item wrong, the popup that asks if you want to resurrect an item doesnā€™t seem to have a way to cancel it. But you can click on the ā€œNew Itemā€ button to close the popup and move on. Kind of goofy, but it is what it is.

Ah, looks like the the location of wanakana moved.

Iā€™ve implemented your fix in to the main branch @rfindley

Looks like this issue had been open for over a week Pushing start button does nothing Ā· Issue #20 Ā· jj-tetraquark/wanikani-burn Ā· GitHub
I totally missed it!

Sorry about it breaking everyone, if you update to the latest version (2.2.2) on Greasyfork it should be fixed

1 Like

I updated wanakana to 2.0 recently, and if you want a safe target you can always reference:
http://wanakana.com/assets/js/wanakana.min.js
Every npm publish updates that file.

[edit] or for https: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/WaniKani/WanaKana/gh-pages/assets/js/wanakana.min.js

Ahhā€¦ I never made the connection between your WK username and your real name. Good to know!

FYI, I linked to a greasyfork.org copy of Wanakana due to greasyforkā€™s terms-of-service. External links must be to an approved server, and in cases like github (via rawgit.com), the link must be to a commit-specific versionā€¦ which is probably a good idea anyway, for several reasons.

Thanks for the Wanakana update info! Itā€™s a nice piece of software :slight_smile:

I just grabbed the v 2.2.2 script (first time user) and it doesnā€™t seem to be working. I see that I no longer need to manually add my API key but itā€™s just stuck on ā€˜Retrieving radical dataā€¦ā€™ and doesnā€™t seem to do anything from thereā€¦

What am I missing?

Do you have any errors in the Javascript console? (press F12, click on Console tab)
Do you have TamperMonkey or GreaseMonkey script manager installed?
What OS and browser?