[Userscript] Large Image Embedder

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

Wanikani Forums: Large Image Embedder

This is a script which re-embeds large images which the forums refuses to embed because they are too large. Works for normal images as well as gifs. You should, however, be aware that there is a reason as to why Discourse chooses not to embed these. They are heavy, take time to load, and slow down your experience. It does make life a lot easier, though.

I can’t guarantee this works 100% of the time, but it’s pretty damn close, and if you happen upon a broken image that hasn’t been fixed you just have to scroll up and down a bit until it fixes itself.

TL;DR:
Turn this

Into this

Available at

See also:

Tall Image Expander
Giphy/Pinterest Embedder

18 Likes

Has anyone ever told you how much of a godsend you are, Kumi-sama?:heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I may, or may not, have been hiding this from everyone for two weeks 248874616142036992

10 Likes

Not everyone.

6ck2oSH

5 Likes

Just saw it on Greasyfork. This is awesome, thank you Kumi.

+1 for using @Glias 's post for the screenshot

3 Likes

I have been summoned.

15 Likes

This is a very nice userscript. On the other hand, I also have to say that the Discourse 3 MB limitation has forced me to learn a bit about animated gif editing with gifsicle, which is also quite interesting. You can crop the image, control the speed, cut for length, etc. If you don’t mind tinkering a bit with command line tools, gifsicle is pretty cool.

2 Likes

Kumi can I link your script in my user description? It’s actually amazing

2 Likes

Haha, sure!

2 Likes

Oddly, no test case, only a screenshot. This one is why I need a User Script on mobile.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/%E7%8A%AC-doggo-appreciation-thread-aka-puppers-lovers-unite/18157/5942?u=polv

1 Like

It’s kumazing

1 Like

I’ve found a bug. Actually, a glitch.

Wait around 10 seconds for auto-fix, but hiding and reshowing pre-reply for the link to come back.