Use the "collocations" feature on jisho.org

One of my favorite online dictionaries has long been jisho.org for several reasons. First of all, when you look up a word you can immediately see whether or not it is taught in Wani Kani and, if so, what level it is (or was) at. Sometimes Wani Kani items are moved to different levels and jisho does not keep up, but I still find this feature very helpful. Since I keep my own Anki deck, I will often be reading native material, and then look up a new word and add it to my personal Anki deck. But if I see that the word will appear in a Wani Kani level I have yet to reach, I will refrain from adding it.

But the feature I want to recommend today is the “show colocations” feature. If you look up 手, for example, you will be give a list of a whopping 61 colocations to look through. I find these very helpful to learn. If you look up 目, you will get 64 colocations. The word 耳 has a measly 15 colocations, and the highest I have seen so far, are a whopping 97 colocations for 気 as presented below. All hail the Mighty Crabigator!

気がある - to have an interest (in something)
気がすまない - not to be able to settle down (if something is not done)
気が済む - to be satisfied
気がする - to have a certain mood or feeling
気がせく - to feel under pressure
気が立つ - to be excited about
気が散る - to get distracted
気がつく - to notice
気がとがめる - to feel guilty
気がない - to be uninterested
気がふさぐ - to feel depressed
気がふれる - to go mad
気が滅入る - to feel depressed
気が利く - to be sensible
気が勝つ - to be determined or strong-willed
気が合う - to get along (with someone)
気が向く - to feel like
気が回る - to be attentive to small details
気が変わる - to change one’s mind
気が多い - fickle
気が大きい - generous
気が小さい - timid
気が差す - to feel uneasy
気が引ける - to feel awkward
気が弱い - timid
気が張る - to strain every nerve
気が強い - strong-willed
気が抜ける - to feel exhausted (after having been stressed)
気が揉める - to feel anxious
気が早い - short-tempered
気が晴れる - to feel refreshed
気が楽 - feeling good
気が漫ろ - preoccupied
気が狂う - to go mad
気が短い - quick-tempered
気が紛れる - to be diverted (distracted) from
気が緩む - to relax one’s mind
気が腐る - to feel dispirited
気が若い - young at heart
気が荒い - bad-tempered
気が詰まる - to feel constrained
気が違う - to be mad
気が重い - depressed
気が長い - patient
気を配る - to pay attention
気をそらす - to distract
気を使う - to pay attention to another’s needs
気を付ける - to be careful
気を呑まれる - to be overwhelmed
気を張る - to steel oneself to
気を揉む - to worry
気をよくする - to be pleased
気を付け - (Stand to) attention!
気を休める - to ease up
気を入れる - to do in earnest
気を利かせる - to (take in the situation, etc.) and make the smart move
気を取り直す - to completely rethink
気を吐く - to make a good showing
気を回す - to read too much into things
気を失う - to lose consciousness
気を引き立てる - to cheer
気を引き締める - to brace oneself
気を引く - to attract someone’s affection
気を抜く - to lose focus
気を持たせる - to encourage someone to expect something
気を散じる - to distract a person’s attention
気を散らす - to distract a person’s attention
気を晴らす - to cheer (someone) up
気を病む - to fret
気を紛らす - to distract oneself
気を緩める - to relax one’s attention
気を腐らす - to have the blues
気を落とす - to be discouraged
気を許す - to let one’s guard down
気を静める - to becalm one’s feelings
気に入る - to be pleased with
気に掛かる - to weigh on one’s mind
気にかける - to weigh on one’s mind
気に障る - to hurt one’s feelings
気にしない - not caring
気にする - to mind (negative nuance)
気に留める - to (keep in) mind
気になる - to be on one’s mind
気に召す - to like
気に病む - to worry
気のせい - in one’s imagination
気の利く - attentive
気の多い - fickle
気の大きい - generous
気の小さい - timid
気の弱い - timid
気の早い - short-tempered
気の詰まる - constrained
気の迷い - delusion
気の長い - patient
気が進む - to be inclined to do
酒の気 - looking tipsy

… How long has Jisho shown the WK level? I have literally never noticed that before.

What, exactly, are colocations?

At least a couple of years. All hail the Mighty Crabigator!

Words are “co-located” if they often appear together. For example, In English, the word “risk” is often used in the “take a risk” colocation. So a non-native speaker might know the word “risk” and the word “take” but they probably wouldn’t guess on their own and come up with the expression “take a risk”.

Other English examples would be:

*make the bed
*forgive a debt
*land a deal

Oh, as in “common set phrases that use the vocabulary word”.

I was thinking it was “other entries in the dictionary which use the kanji” and was getting quite confused that the lists were so short. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes!

Ah, that is another feature I like on jisho.org. When you are viewing a kanji, you can select words that start with that kanji, words that end with that kanji, or words that contain that kanji. Very useful.

Now, someone please manually add all of the colocations above to my Anki deck!

I’ll second jisho.org as a wonderful tool.:+1:

I too add my WK vocab to my Anki deck, but mostly words marked as common in jisho.org, so I can then find sentences with those words in my sentences decks.

As for collocations, just exploring them. Bought the Common Japanese Collocations book and found someone already make a spreadsheet of the collocations there, so it’s going the Anki way :sunglasses: … I noticed the collocations in jisho before but was wondering about how common they are, since they don’t seem to be marked wether common or not.

How do you use them by now?

What do you mean manually? The list seems nicely formatted for adding them fairly automatically if you use Excel or something.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e9JyrJwgKjMBIHdbFLoIwQtCE_1dtTTL

Edit: All you have to do is open the list in notepad, change all " - " to " , " and then import into anki. Don’t even need excel, though it can be handy.

I’ve been using 日本語コロケーション辞典 for this, it’s pretty good if you only want the japanese text :smiley:

edit: it has more 気 collocations than I can fit into a screenshot or a post, lol :stuck_out_tongue:
edit2: 31k

Yeah, Jisho.org is definitely one of my favorite tools. I didn’t know what a collocation is, though, so this will make it even more useful.

I use Jisho quite often and I didn’t know about this feature. Thanks for pointing it out!

I also like your approach of adding words to an anki deck. So far I haven’t really been able to stick with anki because it isn’t gamified the way wanikani is, but it sure would be helpful to use for kanji and vocabulary that isn’t in wanikani.

I really should give it another try because I’m at the point where I understand enough to use devices and play games and so on in Japanese but not enough to understand some of the details, and something like that sounds like a great way to react to encountering words that one doesn’t know.

How do I see colocations? (I.e. what button do I press, is it on the Kanji page?)

On the word page under the word on the left
http://jisho.org/word/気

Heh, Eijiro returned

for 手

Perhaps a bit tooo comprehensive, I guess for a quick look Jisho is ok.

@olety Me too, though quite often I get zero results. So Eijiro as a backup generally shows at least a couple of phrases with particles.

For example:
hyogen 湿らせる
eijiro 湿らせる

Also, if you use Eijiro at all - get the free pro lite account (unlocks decent example sentences/texts)