Usage of 単じゅん

Short question, I recently came across a example sentence for 嫌い and I’d like to know why the translation is the way it is.

単じゅん作業は嫌いです。
I don’t like busy work.

Isn’t the meaning of 単じゅん more like simple/plain?
Or am I mistaken? I looked up several example sentences but couldn’t find one where it was used like in WK.

Also while I’m at it, isn’t 単じゅん used like an adjective here? So shouldn’t it be 単じゅん作業は嫌いです?

I’m really unsure about the last one since I haven’t studied much grammar yet, but I thought I might as as well.

1 Like

Here’s a thesaurus entry with other “busy work” type entries.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/thesaurus.weblio.jp/content/amp/単純作業

The meaning is simple work that requires no thinking. Aka, busy work. Work you do just to look like you’re busy.

Side note, I’m more familiar with it as busywork or busy-work, not busy work.

1 Like

Ah well there we have the problem.

I’m not a native speaker, so I didn’t know that busy work can be used like this. I took it more in the literal way like you are really busy with working :sweat_smile:

単純作業 is a standalone vocab then right? Jisho doesn’t recognize it as one, I don’t know about other online dictionary.
But it wouldn’t be wrong to use 単純な作業 instead, at least it’s listed as a synonym in your link.

単純作業 seems to be commonly used as like… A tag on job hunting sites in Japan. It’s possible that the meaning isn’t as overtly negative as busywork’s is. I could ask a native though.

And yeah, obviously 単純な作業 is perfectly grammatical.

1 Like

Thank you for your explanation, it helped me a lot :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.