"Uppercase character"

I feel cheated. It takes like every permutation of uppercase/capital and letter/character except for the one I chose.
Luckily I was on the app and could tell it to ignore my response…

2 Likes

They’ll never be able to include every possible synonym. That’s why you can add your own though. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I know. But if all the other permutations exist, why not this one?
That’s my point. I’ve had to add synonyms before, but this one… this one just leaves me baffled as to why it’s missing

For what it’s worth, I’ve never heard anyone say “Uppercase character”.

15 Likes

In English they aren’t commonly called “Uppercase characters” we don’t call them “characters” at all. We say kanji are “characters” though, so perhaps you are confusing the two.

3 Likes

Oh, I was under the impression that it allowed “Capital characters”. I guess that is fine, then.

And no, they can definitely be called characters - any sort of symbol used in writing is a character. I grant you, “uppercase character” doesn’t make a lot of sense, since only letters can be uppercase or lowercase, though.

My bad, then. I shall concede the argument :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Actually, I figured out what was bothering me: “Lowercase character” is accepted for 小文字, but “Uppercase character” isn’t for 大文字.

7 Likes

Well then in that case that is a legitimate gripe.

5 Likes

You know, that drove me nuts between those two, but I never could quite put my finger on what was going on.
…Apparently I never took the five seconds necessary to compare them.
I can now rest easier having had this answered (and with the necessary synonyms in place). Thanks :slight_smile:

If you know what the word means, even if you can’t think of the exact wording accepted by WK, that’s good enough, right? At least that’s what I tell myself whenever I hit that “ignore” button.

2 Likes

I literally had this today, I was about to write “uppercase character” too but then changed to “uppercase letter” at the last moment because I knew this was right … lucky me, but I totally get your gripe based on the other acceptable readings.

It happens quite often. Be honest–is your answer REALLY equivalent to the given meaning? (In this case, it obviously is.) If so, add the synonym and move on.

4 Likes

I added “big letter” and “small letter” to synonyms for my own sanity.

1 Like

Actually it seems like in the picture, not one of the synonyms have the word “character” in them… Even though it should be correct.

1 Like

The only time people seem to use “character” in my experience is when they are including things beyond letters in the discussion. Yes, letters are characters, but if you’re only talking about letters, then people tend to just say letters.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that WK seems to allow you to combine words from different meanings together. Did they change their checking algorithm that it would now allow “uppercase character” without it being explicitly listed because there are separate meanings that contain both words? Or did I just imagine that?

Perhaps what you’re noticing is the “fuzzy” spell checker. If two answers are long enough, you could swap one word out for another and still have enough total letters right to achieve the fuzzy match for the full string. Especially if the two words you swapped share letters.

4 Likes

I’m guessing they use some form of Levenshtein distance for the English answers.

1 Like

Makes sense that the amount of allowed wrong characters depends on the length of the word(s).

I suspect that people who consider “character” to be an obvious synonym for “letter” are usually programmers.

And that they’re also the ones who tend to have an opinion on whether the word “char” should rhyme with “chair” or “far.”

5 Likes