Updates to Lessons, Reviews, and Extra Study

@tofugu-scott When there’s a radical that actually is a picture (like https://files.wanikani.com/mmscf9qlw1kp85scxn18lkzdw73f), the heading height is almost zero before the image is fully loaded and it gets its normal height only after the image is loaded.

4 Likes

Thanks for the bug report. I have now fixed this and it is available on preview.wanikani.com

5 Likes

when I’m doing lessons, I press F and then Spacebar to expand the whole information sections but now It is gone in preview.wk

can we have spacebar functionality back?

It’s now “F” then “E” – Scott reasoned that spacebar and tab navigation don’t mix as well, so it’s now “E” for “expand”.

3 Likes

@tofugu-scott One another issue with the radical images, just FYI. Before the image is loaded alternative text is visible revealing correct answer. Not really sure is it worth to fix it because remembering silly mnemonics for radicals those were learned 10-15 levels ago looks slightly meaningless to me :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. This is actually by design to help visually impaired people. We added this so that screen readers could interpret the characters correctly. We did consider the fact that it would give away the meaning, but the number of subjects that use images are small so we didn’t think it would be to much of a problem for non-visually impaired people. If more people do have an issue with it, we could preload the images which would reduce the load time, but that is an optimisation for another day.

4 Likes

Why not make the element invisible to regular browsers, but readable to screen readers? Though honestly, I’m all for inclusiveness, but I do wonder how visually impaired people are meant to use the service.

2 Likes

We actually had a report from someone who was using a screen reader, and I took their suggestion as they seem better placed to know what visually impaired people need. Generally the rules of the web are to use alt text for images for accessibility and so that screen readers can pick it up. This is what I have done. Do note that some browsers show the alt text while loading and others don’t.
MDN has some good info for other reasons to use alt text

1 Like

Ohh, I see, that’s neat

1 Like

I just want to give everyone a heads up that I am going to deploy the changes to production on Monday morning around 9am GMT. I will continue to answer any further questions over the weekend as I know a lot of you who maintain scripts do this in your free time.

I would also like to say thank you for your help and support up to this point, I really have appreciated it. I do hope the users of your user scripts show you as much kindness while they are going through their teething problems.

15 Likes

I know it’s been said already, but I’m just so sad that the summary page after reviews is going to disappear. Not only do I use this page to see what exactly I’ve gotten wrong and right, I also use it for motivational purposes. It sort of gives me a boost to see how many itmes in each category have leveled up, etc., but also a reminder to do better next time when I have a lot of wrong apprentice items. It just feels too abrupt when I’m directed to the home page after completing my lessons, I don’t like that at all. Like something is missing, I don’t get that usual closure and also not an overview of my hard work, as if I’ve done it all in vain. I don’t think it’s a good idea to remove this feature at all, I hope something similar to this is going to be implemented as fast as possible. Maybe I’m too dramatic, but I’m just worried that I will lose motivation to do my reviews, since lately I’ve kind of been lacking anyway…

10 Likes

Oh, just opened Lessons for the first time. @tofugu-scott could you please make the header height smaller in the lessons too? IMO it takes a lot of space and I have to scroll reading mnemonics.
On the second screen the way it was before.

Also switching to the next lesson works really slow for me. It was like in instant with old design, and now it takes like 10 seconds to load. I’d prefer a single initial loading instead of this :worried:

When I brought this up, Scott said, that the preview system is different from the production one, alongside the promise that they will monitor and fix performance issues, once it goes live.

1 Like

@tofugu-scott:

I just realized some of my dashboard scripts use a matcher of https://*.wanikani.com/dashboard but the current preview URL doesn’t include the “dashboard”, so the scripts don’t run.

Easy fix, of course, but will the production dashboard URL be rewritten to https://www.wanikani.com/dashboard as it was previously?

Not a big deal either way, but no work trumps a little work, so I wanted to ask.

TIA

Rex

2 Likes

I believe it’s always been the case that https://www.wanikani.com and https://www.wanikani.com/dashboard both show the dashboard, so I think that’s an issue with those scripts not including both URLs. You can always add the extra URL to the include list yourself if you want, or you can ask the script-makers to add it.

1 Like

Yup, I’m aware. Previous behavior was that it redirected to the /dashboard address though. Not a problem updating the scripts that don’t match either, but no work trumps som work, hence the question.

2 Likes

In what cases? After a review, leaving the session screen, yes, it does, but if you just visit https://wanikani.com, you don’t get automatically moved over to the dashboard. I certainly had to put in both addresses for my scripts.

1 Like

Could I suggest that you handle both addresses for now? When errors occur we redirect back to the root path (i.e. www.wanikani.com) so this use case should probably be handled. It might buy you a little extra future proofing too if the /dashboard path was ever to change.

1 Like

I have made a further update to the paddings and margins which should address your concerns with the lesson header height.
This will be my last change for the header this time around as I have squashed as much air out while still making it look reasonable. If you need further customisation, then you will need to override the styles locally. As I said above, I will be doing further work to make theming easier for us and by association, script authors. That work is for another time though.

4 Likes

Thank you for your work!
Sorry to bother again, but is there anything you can do with the laggy lesson loading?

1 Like