Upcoming Forced Log-out

I was also logged out this morning, when I clicked something on the (still open) WK page. (This is Mac OS, Firefox.) I did not have the “Remember me” box checked but usually that does not pose a problem to me.

That was the first click this morning which caused the logout. I probably last accessed the site around 8 hours before the logout happened.

1 Like

I had been having exactly that for months… until they put this change out… then it was fine for a day… but then it’s started happening again after a day, hmm.

1 Like

Say, are you guys talking about wanikani.com, reviews sessions, the forum, or all of the above? I feel like all of those have been mentioned in this thread, but I can’t tell which one this thread is supposed to be about specifically…

I’ve personally only been logged out of the forums if there’s been hours between each sessions, i.e. in the mornings. I use Chrome. Never been randomly logged out of wanikani.com.

2 Likes

Sorry, good point! I was talking about wanikani.com, the dashboard.

I’ve never been logged out of the forums as far as I can remember. Occasionally there is a dialog box forcing me to refresh, but that’s about it.
I can’t recall having been logged out from WaniKani dashboard either (except twice recently, once the announced logout in this thread and the other one this morning).

3 Likes

Also wanikani.com
Never had issues, I had to log twice today.

3 Likes

I’ve filled out a contact form.

Just to further clarify, let’s make sure we’re all talking about the same thing. We switched to session-based cookies when you don’t check the “remember me” box. The general functionality for a session-based cookie is to last until the browser is closed.

Sadly, there’s not a clear standard on what “closed” means, so it varies from browser to browser. For most of them, it means closing all the windows for the browser (not the tab for the site). I know that in the latest iOS, for example, they expire those cookies after one day of inactivity. I also suspect that ad blockers are going to affect this behavior.

So, for all the folks encountering problems, either post some details here or reach out via that contact form and let us know about your OS, browser, scripts, and any extensions you’ve got running. Try disabling any ad blockers for WK (we don’t do ads), too, and see if that helps.

Checking “remember me” when you sign in should solve all the problems, as that “should” behave exactly like it did before this change.

3 Likes

I always check the remember me checkbox.
I’ll fill in the contact form later on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I was asleep. I didn’t close down my browser or shut the computer of, and was less than 24 hours.
I don’t know if the wait mode causes it… but it has done that many times today without a kick out again (and I do belive I have “remember me” clicked)
So far it has only been that once though (not counting the planned kick) and could very likely have been around the same time as the comments above mine (as they were not there before I went to bed, was kicked when I got up)

Edit to add: I never close the tab, I always have it open. I’m on Mac, fell out on both chrome and FireFox ( :shushing_face:) and I have all the scripts XD
If I’m out again tomorrow morning I’ll make sure the box is clicked. And so far it has only been that one, so not that bad.

2 Likes

Update: Was not logged out again this morning, so seems to have possibly been a one time glitch.
I was logged out of the forum though (But on reload I wasn’t prompted to log in… so the “you have been logged out” was false =P This happens ever so often and a reload gets it away, so not really a problem but worth mentioning. It used to happen more)

2 Likes

everyone in this thread: “ugh, I have to log in again? I already did so 6 months ago, so annoying”

me: *logging in everyday with a restarted and cleared browser*

2 Likes

It’s not the logging in I have an issue with, it’s the being logged out :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll open a new browser in the morning. Open the forums. I’ll click a notification… and it’ll log me out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m just trying to meme here :rofl:

2 Likes

Sometimes in the middle of a review session, WK complains that it lost internet connection and do I want to refresh? But if I ignore the opaque layer and continue my review, it eventually finishes without errors (although it’s difficult to read because of the warning and the refresh link on top).

3 Likes

That’s a separate issue. We muddied things by pushing a few changes to the logic on that timeout window and the session-tracking change at the same time. :man_facepalming:

Feel free to report that by email, the contact form, or open up a new topic in bugs/errors so we can keep track/get more information about what’s going on. We’re working on making that timeout code better, but it’s usually good to have more feedback about it.

2 Likes

For everyone reporting logout issues, let us know if they’re continuing. I think there was some weirdness about the old session cookies sticking around and being confused, even with a forced log out. If it does keep logging you out, try clearing the cookies just for wanikani.com and see if helps keep things consistent. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

I haven’t got any new event since the first day, if it helps.

@oldbonsai In case you needed some feedback

1 Like

Huh. I never connected my inability to do lessons issue with the forced log out. But come to think of it, this problem did star occurring after we had the forced log out :thinking:

I just assumed it was because Microsoft Edge isnt supported by WaniKani :sweat_smile:

Thanks for posting it here!