[Unsupported] Leech training script

@hitechbunny this is the red text

Starting WKHelper callback for WaniKani Leech Trainer…
script.js:90 Completed WKHelper callback for WaniKani Leech Trainer.
rawgit.com/WaniKani/WanaKana/master/lib/wanakana.js Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()
VM630:212 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘appendChild’ of null
at main (eval at E_c (:3:185), :212:52)
at Window.eval (eval at E_c (:3:185), :222:7)
at :2:374
at e.string.f.function.c.(anonymous function) (eval at exec_fn (:1:108), :51:433)
kanjiSvg.js:112 kanjiSvg Object

1 Like

I’ve been using the script and overall like it, but there’s one kanji that keeps messing me up because it accepts only one of the two onyomi while the main app accepts either.

04 AM

2 Likes

Yup, I got pretty much the same issue as above. The only accepted reading for 打 is ぶ which I never even realised existed, because it hasn’t come up in my vocabs yet. It would be awesome if you could fix it. I still love the script, great job.

Leech circle doesn’t show a number for me too → it does, but not always; and a little slow.

Also, Leech circle doesn’t appear on Kanji, Vocab and Radical pages

1 Like

This script is really awesome. Kudos to you sir(s)

Excellent script. I came here just to report that as well.

1 Like

Why does everyone assume I’m male? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s just easier than trying to figure out which gender you identify to :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the reports, folks. I’m not working on these just yet (JLPT N5 on Sunday!), but I will quickly summarize (in rough priority order):

• Fix ‘n’ becoming ‘ん’ because it’s still not working
  • Nail down what the correct answers are for kanji, and prompt for the correct answer when an alternate kanji reading is given.
  • Fix wanakana loading failure.
  • Move the leech review preparation logic to my website - so that it can cache all of the user’s synonyms, and leech review queues work across browsers (e.g. home and work computers)
  • Add in a mnemonics review at the start.
  • Repeat each item at least 3 times, and only remove if from the list of leeches if it’s passed all three times.
  • Add in confusion elements too (and they have to all pass for the leech to get removed).

I love this script! My leeches has slowed me down a lot recently, and I still havn’t bothered to crush them…
Now I can finally start my journey to get rid of those 150 leeches! :flushed:

1 Like

Didn’t you do anything about user synonyms ? I’ve the feeling that support for them was improved and that I can use more of them ?
Thanks again for your very pleasant script, I’m using it at least twice a day.
And good luck for your exam !

1 Like

Do you have any plans to prevent reviewing leeches too close to review time? I don’t think that matters much for Apprentice leeches, but I think it’s a big deal for Master and Enlightened leeches.

1 Like

Yep. That should be on the list. I think it’s fairly low priority because folks don’t have many leeches at master / enlightened (?) and the chance of them training on one close to its review date is small.

Okay, I didn’t see it on the list here. I think I have 20-something leeches in Master and (amazingly) 2 in Enlightened. This will happen from long-term leeches that you finally start to get right. So it’s not surprising to see some of them.

Maybe the quick solution is to add a setting at the top of the script for a max SRS level to review. Thoughts on that?

Thank you. Good luck on your JLPT! 頑張って!

1 Like

One more thing. Do you have reviewing both meaning and reading (regardless of which is worse) on your to-do list?

2 Likes

I’m not convinced that quizzing on both the meaning and reading is a good idea. I have some fairly major changes planned, and I want to see how they turn out first.

For me personally, there are a handful of times that I got the meaning or reading wrong simply because one came up first, but in reality I didn’t know either of them. And I think reviewing them together really proves that you know the item.

I’m curious, do you think it’s detrimental to review both? Or just that the benefits are questionable so you don’t think it’s worth the time compared to other features?

3 Likes

I like to review just my leech , not the entire word ( meaning and reading )
If I already got one of those right why should I review what’s already ok ?!
Only review the leech !

1 Like

I think I found a bug. I’m assuming that once you’ve trained all of your leeches such that the circle shows 0, you’re supposed to be able to continually review random leeches. But in the if condition of show_next, you pass leeches into the setLeeches method. Shouldn’t you pass in leeches appended with onice so everything can be reviewed? Right now, I do a random session of 15 and then have to refresh to do another 15.

EDIT: Ideally it would cycle through all the leeches again, but at the very least it should just pick random leeches each time.

EDIT 2: Seems to be fixed simply by changing the line to:

setLeeches(leeches.concat(onice));