[Unsupported] Leech training script

I decided to try the script again, but it keeps quizzing me on burned items…

Because they’re similar to one leech of yours? Isn’t that it? The script is mixing similar items :thinking:

I guess? I haven’t been paying attention to the updates for how the script works. But two of them were
居る and 届く (both burned) and I’m not sure what they’d be similar to. When I think of “similar” on WaniKani I usually only think kanji look or verb pairs. I have 届く and 届ける burned, and the kanji 届 is enlightened, so I’m really not sure why that would show up. Similarly, 居 and all of its vocab are burned, except for one which is enlightened.

Here is how to check if its a confusion or a real item:

1. Open the console of the browser
  2. Navigate to the network tab
  3. Seach for lesson.api

As you can see here for the vocab 弱々しい
The subcategory leech defines to which item the item belongs.
In this case it belongs to itself which mean “no” confusion item

And here is confusion item

The item belongs to another item which means its a confusion item

I remember hearing that there was a bug where the script only tested you on items that were close to review time instead of far away from the review time. Is that still happening? I’m really reluctant to use this script if it’ll quiz me on items (especially Master or Enlightened) that are up for review in a few days.

Also, does this still only quick reading or meaning instead of both?

I don’t know if it’s my browser (safari) or if I’m not using it right, but the circle always appears to be blank. I’ve tried some of the suggestions on here, but nothing seems to have change.

Help anyone?

1 Like

I guess so because the author is not active on wanikani since december

It doesn’t even say 0?

It rarely gives me leeches to train, it usually says 0 for me at least though.

Yeah, no. There’s no numbers at all.

51%20PM

It sucks too because I have the leech detector script and it says I have over 300 leeches. /:

Yes it seems @hitechbunny created a lot of scripts that a lot of peolple use, then disappeared from the community. If the scripts are not maintained, they will probably be less and less usable as wanikani exolves, and this will be frustrating for users who rely on them.

This is one of the drawbacks of relying on user scripts to extend functionality (but there a lots of advantages to balance it out).

1 Like

I have noticed that the script doesn’t work that often, and even though I love the script I tend to use the self-quiz for my earlier level kanjis once in a while now instead, and just put all my leeches on my taskbar into an anki deck to study them.

Doesn’t look like this script is being supported any more, which is too bad because I like it. It still works well for me in Chrome. But I’m switching to Safari for various reasons, and while all the other user scripts seem to work at least reasonably well on Safari, Leech Trainer doesn’t accept Enter as an input. I enter the meaning of the word and then Enter, but nothing happens. So I just have to click away from the box to get rid of it.

I don’t expect a fix for this, really. Just putting it here to note it and see if any other Safari users experience the same thing.

ETA: I added this script to another computer I use with the same version of Safari and it seems to work. I’ll try reinstalling this and other scripts on the first computer.

ETA: I was wrong about it being the same version of Safari. Actually, it was version 9. I updated Safari to version 11, and now the script works.

1 Like

Hey,

I would really hope for an update: sometimes i realise that i no longer know the meaning of a kanji that i am trained on, or that i forgot a kanji the vocab is made out of. Could you please allow clicking on the display to open the wanikani site of the item in a new tab?
Please adjust the random order shuffler so that the same item cannot occur twice after each other.

@sirati97
The author of the script is inactive for 5 months now.

Is this working for everyone? Mine suddenly turned off when I switched PC the other day and won’t work anymore. Got Open Framework installed, trying uninstalling and reinstalling. Was wondering if it’s something I am doing or are other people in the same boat as me. I really loved this script! :frowning:

The script doesn’t use open framework. It’s from the dark age :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I love this script! I wish the frame would be just a little bigger though, I have to strain my eyes a little to see what’s going on.

I have fixed a tiny bug. When a wrong answer was given the input box was loosing its focus, forcing the user to click the mouse to retry (was driving me crazy…). You can get the updated version from here:

2 Likes

seem like other people are having this problem too - the blank circle of nothingness. Hope someone can come in and fix/redo this script like @rfindley did for the correct button one. (thank you btw for that - now i am second guessing that it was you! sorry if i’ve misremembered!)

So I tried using this again for the first time in a while and realized it somehow broke. Since the OP seems to be gone for the moment and I really like this script I decided I’d give a try at fixing it myself. I spent probably 30-60 mins trying to figure out what’s wrong but I finally figured it out and fixed it. Here’s the update for those that would also like it. Leech Trainer Update - Pastebin.com

For those using TamperMonkey, you just copy everything in the pastepin, go to your dashboard, click on your current Leech Trainer script, highlight everything with ctrl+A then press ctrl+V to override the old version with the new one then press ctrl+S to save it and you’re done. I don’t know anything about other script managers but I imagine the process wouldn’t be too different.

5 Likes